“Best deal in town and wonderful staff!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
Save Saved
You added Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort to your Saves list
1507 Lincoln Ave., Calistoga, CA 94515   |
Ranked #9 of 15 hotels in Calistoga
Healdsburg ca
“Best deal in town and wonderful staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

From the great mid-century architecture to the wonderful staff, this is the place that shouldn't be overlooked on any trip to Calistoga. This is not a stuck-up "hoity toity" place full of snobs, it's friendly, clean and full of local history. The bath house is fantastic with a great choice of different treatment options - I think I've tried every one and enjoyed them all. Be sure to give yourself a real pampering by booking a facial treatment with Annamarie in the little private cottage - you won't want to leave. She's professional, thorough and gentle, choosing just the right products for your skin type.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear 61and havingfun,

Thank you so much for the review! We always enjoy reading good things about us and your review will be passed along to all of the various staff members that make up the Dr. Wilkinson's "family".

We all hope to see you again soon and wish you and yours a happy holiday season!

317 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Mill Valley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Before we checked into Dr. Wilkinson's we had a great lunch over at SolBar (nearby at the Solage Resort on the Silverado Trail) and were so excited about starting off our long Thanksgiving weekend getaway - just driving up to Dr. W's and seeing it from the road was enough to know we made a mistake. Understand - we generally stay at Best Western's for fair prices plus you know what you'll get. Sadly Dr. Wilkinson's Resort is really the pits.

Positives: Easy check in, very comfortable beds & pillows, friendly staff. Convenient to walk to local shops, restaurants, market etc.

Negatives:

The overall look of the "resort" is a cross between a halfway house and a seedy motel. They do have lovely planters scattered around the two courtyards and pool area but not enough to take away just how unappealing the place looks. The courtyard area doesn't get a lot of sun - and everything is either cement or painted brown, it's got an overcast look about it - and luckily the weather we had was perfection. Unfortunately people smoked day and night at the tables in the courtyard which the rooms face, we kept closing our room window and waiting it out. IF smoking is prohibited on this property a sign stating that was not posted anywhere.

NO Wi-Fi in the rooms! The room walls are a light brown cinderblock (imagine BROWN CINDERBLOCK.) The television set was a little 17"-19" screen and so small we couldn't read the words on the channel guide from the bed. I lost a sock and looked under the beds and found loose cheese puffs left behind from previous guests. Nothing else in the room looked dirty, the bathroom clean.
Strangely the ONLY hook in the bathroom area was on the wall directly above the toilet paper roll holder - my bathing suit dripped onto the toilet paper all night ... other guests hung their wet suits outside the front door over the railing only adding to the lack luster surroundings.

I canceled our mud bath bookings because I wanted to spend my time in a nicer facility that was uplifting.

I truly hope that the owners consider updating this facility while keeping some of the old quirkiness that's so appealing in places like Palm Springs and South Beach Miami - they could turn this place into a gem.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear OOMVCADOO,

While I thank you for your kind words I am disappointed that you refer to the resort as a halfway house/seedy motel, I must admit that I've never thought of half way houses and seedy motels having "lovely planting".

The photos on our website do not lie. Our buildings are mid-century modern in a classic design and as most reviews here indicate our rooms are comfortable and offer easy access to the three pools. Yes, the buildings are of cinder block, as shown on our website. We do not have a Tuscan Villia look to the property and have maintained the buildings in their historical fashion....we are not trying to create a South Beach look.

Thank you for your comments regarding general housekeeping and services. Naturally, I am sorry that we did not fulfill your expectations. I hope that you find a property that more suits your needs.

Morro Bay, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed here on a recent Friday night. The room rate was very good. We went in the 90 degree pool and twice in the indoor pool and enjoyed both. The market next door has a wonderful salad bar and you can walk to restaurants and shops.
When got home from our 5 day much enjoyed trip, I checked my credit card charges and noted a $55.00 charge from Doc Wilkinson's. We had paid the room in advance and couldn't figure out what it could be. I called the resort and was told that we had caused damage to the room.
We are an retired couple, quiet, neat, clean and very responsible and respectful with regard to the property of others. It is claimed that we cracked a glass top to a nightstand during our stay there. We simply did not do that. Unfortunately we did not take photos of everything breakable in the room as we trust that we will not be falsely charged with damages as we have never been charged with any damages to a hotel room. Next time we will take photos anywhere we stay as this experience is very disturbing and insulting. We are very careful and have minimum impact on a room wherever we stay. We did not break or crack anything.
First of all, we didn't use that nightstand except to perhaps hold a pair of glasses or maybe a TV remote but probably not even those. Perhaps the wrong room was reported. On the afternoon of our arrival, there was much noise in the room 32 above us including a lot of heavy thumping, etc., banging of furniture against walls, going on for at least 30 minutes non stop. We left for about an hour just to get away from it.
We ate our dinner of salads on the round table, cleaned up, recycled and went to bed. At no time did we bang into or set anything heavy on the nightstand. In that room it is next to the bathroom wall and was not used by us very much if at all. We did not even turn on the lamp on that side. Perhaps if we had, we would have seen the crack and reported it immediately. The only conclusion that makes any sense to us is that it was cracked before and not noticed, or the housekeeper may have done it accidentally and not realized it.
We have communicated with James the customer service person regarding this without any satisfaction. I trust that he passed along our concerns to the owner as I requested him to do that. They apparently are not going to rescind the charge. We are disputing the charge on our credit card. We want others to know about this so they can take action to prevent this from happening to them.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor and take photos of breakables
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Pinole, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

What a terrible experience. I have been to many spa's.....this one should be closed down.
The mud was nasty....it smelled so bad. No privacy at all & not quiet or relaxing. Just a completely terrible experience. Will never go back. They need to lose the noisy garbage can that they roll around and It would not hurt to update this place...it's not 1950 it's 2012. As for the mineral tub...what a joke it's a bathtub with a hose blowing bubbles. Again let me remind you there is no privacy people walk around in and out completly naked...yuck I'm still having nightmares.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Dirtridergirl,

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your mud bath experience here! We make no claims to be a "typical spa". Mud baths as we offer, are unique and yes, mud is made of dirt (actually our local volcanic ash). We do our best to observe privacy while going through the treatment and provide robes, wrap arounds and lots of towels. For those who are more modest, a swimsuit can be worn. That being stated, mud baths are not for everyone! We do, however, also offer wonderful massage treatments and facials.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My companion and I spent three days here. We had slightly different impressions of the hotel and she liked it better than I did and would stay again. Here's my impressions:

The hotel is clean. Our room was clean and the bed linens are nice. The grounds were well-maintained as well. The pools and the very large hot tub are great. We watched hummingbirds in the plants at the pool. I had a strong WiFi signal in my room. The hotel is also very convenient -- especially if you are getting a spa treatment. The hotel is convenient to Calistoga as well. The grocery is next door, and restaurants start a block away. The information about the area left for us in the room was excellent and helpful.

The hotel is noisy. We could hear the people above us very clearly. We were on the courtyard, which was also noisy and featured smokers. There is limited parking and several of our "neighbors" parked in spaces too small for their vehicles or parked in two spaces, limiting the number of spaces even more. The pools didn't open until 9 a.m. -- I had assumed they'd open at 8. One evening, we were treated to our neighbors drinking heavily from a cooler of beer they'd brought to the hot tub.

The rooms were surprisingly large and featured cinderblock walls. The refrigerator wasn't on when we entered the room and it took several hours to cool. We had stuff to put in right away, so that was frustrating. The room features a noisy air conditioning unit in bathroom. The shower stall floor was slick. The towels were thin.

Room Tip: Go upstairs so you don't hear the neighbors above you or in the courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear ellinad01,

Thank you for taking your time to leave your review of your recent stay. I wish that you enjoyed your stay as much as your friend! As a rule, drinking around the indoor hot pool is strictly forbidden and indicated with signage, etc. I am embarassed that our staff did not catch this as the situation would have been taken care of immediately!

At times, our parking situation gets a little tight as we are very popular with guests that come to enjoy the mud bath and massage treatments for the day . I am sorry that this inconvenienced you! Although we make every effort to control noisy guests it ,on rare occasion happens, and for this, I sincerely apologize. At check in, we do make it clear that if you need ANYTHING we are available 24/7.

Again, my sincere thanks for your feedback. I hope you will give us another try!

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I don't usually write bad reviews, but I have NEVER been treated SO badly...this was not "indifference"...this was DOWNRIGHT RUDE!!!
I have stayed at Dr. W numerous times, with spouse, girlfriends and family. LOVE the pool area and LARGE indoor hot tub! The rooms are ok, nothing to write home about. The location is GREAT. Easy to walk to restaurants and shopping.
However, being next to a grocery store that receives 5AM deliveries with "beeping" trucks backing up and on the main traffic thoroughfare, not to mention, being able to hear other guests easily, makes for POOR SLEEPING!
When I complained, the General Manager (a woman named Carolyn) came out from a back room and said, "I couldn't help but overhear..." And basically, told me my complaints were unfounded and without using the 'word', called me a LIAR! This TOTALLY RUINED my entire 'special occasion' vacation!
When we asked to speak to the owner, we were declined!
Later that evening the front desk called to say that the message was relayed to the owner and we were given a SMALL discount :/
Poor CUSTOMER SERVICE and WILL NOT RETURN!!!

Room Tip: I cannot add any tips for choosing a good room. I have stayed in several without a positive experien...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello JewLrep,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We were saddened that we did not meet your expectations as a multi-repeat guest here at Dr. Wilkinson's!

I am sorry that you feel that we were in any way inferring that you were a liar! We simply stated that we had no control over the noise from the local market and that the other people you heard were not staff but guests here at the resort. This, in no way means that we were calling you a liar! Yes, the guests you heard were speaking Spanish so I can only assume that you thought they were staff. Not at all the case!

When you spoke with Carolynne, you were speaking with the co-general manager, my sister who is also co-owner. We did authorize a courtesy discount with your husband and we thought that the situation was taken care of as far as a courtesy discount.was concerned.

Having been here many times before, you've obviously had a positive experience with us in the past I am so sorry that you left here feeling as you did. We take great pride in offering a great customer service at a reasonable price.

I hope you will give us another try and ask that you call and ask for me directly should you chose to return. Again, my sincere thank you for the feedback.

Modesto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This place is kept very clean. The spa and the hotel are both exceptional. The only issues are that the hotel is very old and noisy. It is like the neighbors are inside your room. So if you are looking for a newer hotel with all the amenities this place is not for you. The spa experience was wonderful. The employees treated me like a king, thanks Eduardo!

Room Tip: Get a cottage and not part of the main hotel for quiet sleeping
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!