“Pleasantly surprised” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
You added Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort to your Saves list
1507 Lincoln Ave., Calistoga, CA 94515   |
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Citrus Heights, California, United States
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Clean, spacious, quiet, and hot spring pools! The location is perfect and within walking distance of the main downtown and very close to the grocery store.

I've stayed in many hotels and cottages in Calistoga and this will be one to come back too. Next time I'd like to try the spa.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Sherry J,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! I am thrilled that you have found your "place" in Calistoga and look forward to your returning time and time again!

We are always looking for ways to improve so don't be surprized if on your next visit we've made a subtle, but effective change here or there. By all means, enjoy a massage, mud bath and or facial on your next visit!

Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed in the bungalows recently. The bungalows are old school, but very clean. Bathroom is very tiny, but wasn't a problem. I wouldn't recommend going during "crush" season as very over-priced at $225.00 a night. Our original quote was for less, but apparently the quote was for Monday through Thursday. Our friends made their reservation after we did and they were quoted and paid the lesser price. I questioned it upon checkout, but was told our friends got a discount due to their room had a broken refrigerator. There was no mention of any discounted price due to a broken refrigerator when reservations were made by us or our friends. The clerk apologized, but there was no adjustment on the price which was somewhat disappointing. Anyway, cute little place that brings you back in time, but be sure to get a clear price quote!

Room Tip: Be clear on the price you are paying and whether you are getting a discounted price due to the fact...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Hey Lo,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate your comments and apologize for any misunderstandings regarding the rate. Your friends, who booked later than you were indeed quoted a lower rate. Our policy is to reserve any room with maintenance issues (i.e. no fridge) last. In your friends particular case, I will investigate why they were not told about the reduced rate due to the refrigerator. As a rule, we try to make this very clear while booking.

Indeed, "crush season" is a very popular time of year and our rates do go up during this period. As we enter our shoulder season, our rates come down as we truly try to make Dr. Wilkinson's a "wallet friendly" place!

Again, my thanks for your feedback.

Best wishes, Mark
Youngsville, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

A very good place to stay in Calistoga and not pay a fortune. Rooms were very spacious and clean. They have three different pools to enjoy at different temperatures. Beds were very comfortable. We both enjoyed massages in the spa. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

There are so many spas in the area so how does one choose? Over the years I have visited Dr. Wilkinson's 3 times (as well as a couple other mid-range spas/resorts.) If your bottom line is that you want to feel good at the end and don't want to drop a fortune, this is the place for you (especially now that Nance's is gone.) Do you want to pay for how the room looks or for what you came for-- the mud, mineral bath, steam, and massage? I would rather pay for the treatment rather than inconsequential extras, although Dr. Wilkinson's staff and decorum are completely professional, clean, and courteous. I have found the massage quality keeps getting better. This time, my masseuse provided an excellent treatment and my husband concurs that his was very high quality as well. We are budget minded travelers who want to partake is the best a region has to offer without going broke. The mud bath experience in Calistoga is a real treat-- you can't go wrong at Dr. Wilkinson's unless you are a picky snob.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear UNR91,

Thanks so much for your review. We truly take pride in offering a quality service at a wallet friendly price! Although we are constantly working to make a Dr. W's experience an even more positive one, we also like to maintain both the quality of environment and staff.

Glad you enjoyed the treatment! Don't forget to bring your swimsuit so that you can enjoy our three pools on your next visit!

Warm best wishes,
Mark
Sonoma, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

On an impromptu warm weathered weekend, we decided to steal away for the night to Calistoga and were happy to get a room just a few days before our arrive for just one night. We arrived mid-day Saturday after some wine tasting and ready for some fun and lounging by the pool, our only pre-request having been a room away from the street. Traffic and deliveries get noisy early and we wanted a good night's rest. Much to our dismay we were told we would be in the first room above the office and right on the street. After some strained discussion with the manager where he did not budge, we reluctantly took the key and headed upstairs. The room was spacious and the furniture was accommodating. The bed looked inviting with plenty of pillows and a light featherbed. We immediately noticed the wall facing the street was solid cinderblock, no chance of much noice coming through and we were relieved that the slight hum of the A/C took care of the passing car noise. With the window open we were still very comfortable and I was no longer worried. My biggest complaint was the manager did not assure us that it was a quiet room with solid cinderblock walls, he only offered to let us off the hook for the room and assured us he could rent the room to someone else. Not very comforting and felt a bit rude.

The pools are lovely and the grounds are neat and tidy. There are a few guests here and there but no large crowds by the pool or anywhere for that matter. Towels for the pool are far and few between (we were reluctantly given 2 bathmat towels at one point) so bring your own. The pool doesn't allow food, drinks, cans, bottles, alcohol, etc. etc. etc. So that may explain the lack of visitors so we ate our lunch in the patio area. It would have been nice to allow something (like cans or chips) since it is not a cheap investment on weekend rates but they must have their reasons.

Overall the location, cleanliness, recreation and comfort level was high. The friendliness of the staff (pool towels, check-in) was lacking. As locals, we don't mind spending the money but we wanted to feel treated to a nice time not the later. Leaving towels handy by the pool and lightening up on the rules a bit would have made it more fun but other than that I recommend this place to anyone passing through and we will probably come back, maybe during the week when the prices are a little lower.

Room Tip: rooms are all the same, nothing special, but roomy and quiet. I would stay on the 2nd floor you get...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

What a great, great stay.
We booked from here in Oz because it looked a bit old school and it was, in a lovely way. It is also really great value too.
The lady at check-in was lovely and welcoming, I can't remember her name but it started with a B. She picked us a great room (12 I think). The room was a really, really good size and had everything you would need.
We enjoyed the pools.
We also had 'The Works' which was an experience. The mud bath is intense but in a good way, once you have taken a minute or two to adjust. Hovering in hot mud is a very relaxing experience. The mineral bath is nice and the massage was lovely. After 2 hours my wife and I met back up both feeling very nice, relaxed and woozy.
Calistoga is such a lovely place with great restaurants and wineries nearby.
I would love to go back and one day, we will
Do yourself a favour and go visit Dr Wilkinsons and while you are there have lunch at Busters.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Thanks for the great review! am happy that you enjoyed your visit with us! I realize that Australia is a bit far away, but I hope to see you on a return visit! I hope that your trip was a success!

Best wishes,
Mark Wilkinson
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I've been going to Dr. Wilkinson's for 30+ years and I always feel like a new person when I leave. First, the room is immaculate. Every room, every visit, I've never found it otherwise. The rooms and beds are very comfortable. Check in and go to the pools. For me, there's nothing better than being in the bath-water warm outdoor pool, looking at the hills in the day and the stars at night. I usually get an hour massage in the spa. It's always excellent and I find the spa clean and quiet and the staff welcoming and helpful. Back in the pool, on to dinner in any one of Calistoga's great restaurants, and I am always so glad I went.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear local San Franciscan,

Many, many thanks for your review! We always appreciate hearing good things about us! We work diligently to maintain a pristinely clean property. Many of our staff members have been here for a long time so I feel we truly have a "family business".

Like the Queen, we are celebrating our "Diamond Jubilee" (60 years and going strong!).

Hoping to see you here again soon!

Been to Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!