“Feel like a new person!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
1507 Lincoln Ave., Calistoga, CA 94515   |
Ranked #11 of 15 hotels in Calistoga
San Francisco
“Feel like a new person!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I've been going to Dr. Wilkinson's for 30+ years and I always feel like a new person when I leave. First, the room is immaculate. Every room, every visit, I've never found it otherwise. The rooms and beds are very comfortable. Check in and go to the pools. For me, there's nothing better than being in the bath-water warm outdoor pool, looking at the hills in the day and the stars at night. I usually get an hour massage in the spa. It's always excellent and I find the spa clean and quiet and the staff welcoming and helpful. Back in the pool, on to dinner in any one of Calistoga's great restaurants, and I am always so glad I went.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear local San Franciscan,

Many, many thanks for your review! We always appreciate hearing good things about us! We work diligently to maintain a pristinely clean property. Many of our staff members have been here for a long time so I feel we truly have a "family business".

Like the Queen, we are celebrating our "Diamond Jubilee" (60 years and going strong!).

Hoping to see you here again soon!

314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I can't speak about the spa, all we used were the pools, and the hotel room.
The room was just great.
It was a king room, and it was roomy.
There was a small fridge, and a separate area for the sink outside the bathroom.
Basically, it meant we weren't bumping into each other, or stumbling over the suitcases.
The room was totally clean, fresh, and comfortable.
The pools are fantastic.
We spent most of the afternoon in the middle-temp pool, but the indoor hot one was also just lovely.
The whole place just has a really great atmosphere.
The desk guy was very helpful (stashed our suitcases on the last afternoon so we could wander the town empty-handed).
And everyone we dealt with was utterly friendly.
The hotel itself is right in the middle of town, and right next door to a really great market.
A perfect base for exploring Calistoga and beyond.
We'll be coming back, and next time will try out the spa.

Room Tip: We had room 12, and it was really quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear laowolf,

I am so happy to read that you enjoyed your visit and found everything clean, crisp and comfortable. Many thanks regarding the service! We are family owned and operated for many years (no chains for us!) and we enjoy treating our many guests as valued "family". Next time I hope you will be able to partake in massage, facial or mud bath!

Again, many thanks. Hope to see you again soon!

Mark
RENO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Here I am enjoying myself at Dr. Wilkinson's for a mini spa get away. Traveling alone, I feel very safe here. The staff is very friendly and considerate. The hotspring pools are not crowded so I've enjoyed my own time relaxing in them. The ultimate spa treatment topped off the total experience. The motel is older but is updated and clean. I liked that I could stay and get my spa treatments right on the spot. I've been here before and would come back again. I'm really relaxed and feel pampered!

Room Tip: My room was right by the pools downstairs and very close to the pools. All the rooms are convenient...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Dear LynneG,

Thank you for the review! It's always a pleasure hearing good things from return guests! Glad you enjoyed the pools and treatments!

Until the next time and...............thanks again!
Mark
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Dr Wilkinson's - established in the 1950's- was a pleasant surprise for me. Traveling on a road trip with two of my sons and my Japanese exchange student daughter and her new husband (Ai and Toshi), I booked a room at Dr Wilkinson's because Ai wanted a spa experience and the mud baths sounded quite unique and very un-Japanese-like. I was a bit hesitant that the rooms might be old and run down, but they were nice and well kept. The bathroom was OK- (no tub, just a shower) and could use some upgrading, but was very clean. Our beds were very comfortable, and the motel rooms faced inward to a nice courtyard where wifi was available (wifi was harder to get in the rooms since the walls were concrete block with rebar in them). Our rooms had a fridge and coffee maker (don't remember if there was a microwave), and an older style TV. There were 2 outdoor pools and 1 indoor pool available that was nice although we didn't use them. The motel is situated in the heart of Calistoga and you can walk to some great little restaurants nearby.

We did, however, use the spa a mudbath facilities. I was VERY pleased with the spa experience. First- when you check into the office, the receptionist will take anything valuable for you and check it into their safe/locked room: the changing rooms have lockers for your clothes, but no locks. When you go back for your treatment, you'll go into a "quiet area" where you'll take off your clothes and put on a robe. From there, you'll go into the segregated mud bath area (one side for men, one for women) and take a quick shower to wet your skin, then you wiggle into the mud bath. The mud is made of volcanic ash, mineral water, and Canadian peat, and is a bit smelly. But the room is quite clean: the attendants are constantly spraying down the floors and areas to keep them clean. After you wiggle into the mud and get all covered up, the attendant puts a mud mask on your face, cucumber slices over your eyes, and finally a cold cloth on top of the cucumbers, and then grapefruit essence is spritzed over the mud to freshen its' smell. You're offered ice water before and after you're in the mud to keep you hydrated. You'll soak in the mud for about 10 minutes - it's an interesting feeling: you feel the weight of the mud yet you're kind of floating in it. Next you get out and shower -- it's a little uncomfortable because the shower doesn't have a curtain, but hey- those attendants have seen it all already. And they're not staring at you anyway. So shower well. Next you go into a hot mineral bath with bubbler for about 10-15 minutes (and if you didn't get all the mud off you, it's going to be a muddy bath. Again, you have ice water beside you at all times. The mineral bath was quite warm and I had to keep my feet out of the water occasionally so as not to overheat, but Ai got a little faint due to the temperature. If you're getting too warm- stick your feet out of the water and this should help. From the mineral bath, you move to the steam room (again- fresh ice water for you) where you can stay as long as you like. Next, you move to a resting room where you're wrapped with a flannel sheet to cool down gradually and relax. Then on for a massage -- your choice 1/2 hour or full hour. We each did the 1/2 hour massage and the therapist asked what areas you wanted focused on. She was very good and very professional.

All in all, the rooms were very comfortable and well appointed, the location was excellent, the price was reasonable, and the mud bath was a hoot.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and it was nice and quiet- no noise from rooms above us, but I don't...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for the great review. I am happy that you enjoyed your visit with us and that you chose to bring your out of town visitors with you! I have passed along your comments to the staff, all of whom work diligently to provide a comfortable and enjoyable guest experience.

Thanks again, we hope to see you soon!
El Cerrito, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I wish I could have given this place a GOOD rating but I had to choose between Average and Very Good...and well you just can't refer to Dr. Wilkinson's as average! We've enjoyed staying at Dr Wilkinson's on two separate occasions. Its a great little location for a weekend getaway as long as you don't conflict with a prime weekend...which can really ratchet up all the Calistoga prices.

The hotel is clean and the beds are comfortable, but the overall impression is of a hotel from the early 60s. That's cool with us, we dig that vibe. The rooms tend to face inward to a courtyard and there is no real lobby to speak of.

We come for the location and the soaking. The hotel is in the heart of Calistoga with easy access to fantastic vineyards. There are three mineral pools (one indoor and two outdoor). The are all kept at varying temperatures and are impeccably clean. Nothing beats an evening of soaking...alternating between the hottest and coolest pool. So energizing!

On our visits the staff was polite and helpful, the other guests were quiet and well mannered. There was also a refreshing absence of children. It may not be like this all the time, but we've been fortunate on our visits.

We haven't used the spa...so I can't provide any feedback. But the bed was comfortable, internet worked well, and the water pressure was sufficient. The Shower in our King room was pretty small though. Dr. Wilkinson's is almost always priced very competitively. That doesn't mean its every really cheap...its just cheaper. But we'll be back again....to soak in those wonderful pools and tour those beautiful wineries.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the great review! I am happy to hear that you enjoy your visits here and hope you continue to visit us. Our rates vary throughout the year so always keep an eye on our website for package rates (including treatments) or other specials.

Thanks again, the pools are here and waiting for you!
Grand Junction, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

This hotel was a great choice for family bonding and relaxation. The place has a fifties motel vibe, but a bit classier. My twelve year old son loved the two pools and I had a chance to sneak off for a mud bath and a massage. We stayed in a patio room that was very clean, quiet and comfortable. The hotel is right on the main street in Calistoga. We enjoyed walking around town and there are several excellent restaurants nearby. There were tables on the patio that were great for drinking a glass of wine or eating an impromptu meal from the deli next door. All in all it was just what we needed to chill out after a long, hot drive from Colorado.

Room Tip: Avoid the corner rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Alamo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Been here several times over the years. Well maintained family run resort. Location is where everything you want is within walking distance. 4th of July is a good old fashioned holiday in this town. Resort gives you a run down of local activities for celebration. Parade, fairground activities, and a fireworks show. Great family tradition, or enjoyed solo. It's patriotic, and a fun day from start to finish.
The rooms get better and better with each visit. Always clean, bed's are comfy, towels are nice.
The massage from megan was the best. The pools are the best in town. Not too big, not too small. Patio has several tables to enjoy a great meal, and wine from the market across the street.
Until next time...........

Room Tip: Upper rooms are quiet. Lower rooms have easier access to patios.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear CurlyQ

Thanks for the review! It's always great hearing from returnees who notice the subtle changes we make on a regular basis.

Your kind comments have been passed along to the staff and we all hope to see you next year over the 4th, if not sooner!

Best wishes,
Mark Wilkinson

Been to Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!