“what a bargain” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
High Wycombe, England
“what a bargain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

We booked this on Hotwire and got it for a good price, we were delighted when we got there and checked in. We had a good sized room, very comfy bed and nice bed linen. Free wi-fi and a fridge in the room also. we liked the location as we had come to visit a few of the vineyards and the majority of them were not far away and it was much cheaper here than staying at St Helena or Napa itself. Breakfast was fine, nothing fancy but it did the trick for us. We ate this outside both mornings sitting in the sun and reading the free paper.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

My cousin and I stayed two nights. Comfortable beds with nice staff. Nice courtyard area pool was adequate. Price was agreeable. Not fancy by any means. Location was convienient to Silverado Trail. We didn't eat the breakfast as it was just like any other self service cereal bar. Why eat crap when so many good restaurants are steps away. If you are looking for full service with spa keep looking. Just clean comfortable beds with cheaper price than most in area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

We stayed at the Clarion Lodge in Calistoga at the end of March. Friends were getting married at a nearby Winery and it was a great experience. The rooms are quite expensive, but Calistoga is not a cheap town and it was great value for the area. Three of us shared a room and we had plenty of space, the balcony over the pool area was great.. There was a good sized fridge, the bathroom was spotlessly clean and the beds were really comfortable. Breakfast was simple, but really tasty. The best thing about this hotel however, was the pool. It was small and not impressive looking but because it was a mineral pool rather than the normal chlorinated soup it was a lovely experience, warm, soft and actually good for the hair and skin rather than otherwise, and because it was open until 10pm it was a great place to chill out in the evening and post rehearsal dinner. The Clarion is only a short walk to Calistoga main town and although the road is dark at night, you do get a great view of the stars.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
SF Bay Area, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

We stayed here two nights, a family of four. Overall was OK. We kept reminding ourselves "we should have paid a bit more" for all the 'little things' that make a difference.

Positives:
- very comfy queen beds, OK sized room
- good A/C
- inexpensive (for Calistoga)
- friendly, helpful desk staff
- pool towels and bathrobes
- good water pressure in the shower
- the kids liked the waffles at breakfast
- jacuzzi and pool area stay open until 10pm
- easy check-in and check-out
- nice large in-room refrigerator (rectangular-shaped)

Negatives:
- TV took awhile to warm up before the picture came through
- only 3 rough bath towels per room
- only 2 drinking glasses allowed per room. We asked for two more but were refused.
- automatically charge $1.50 per night for the in-room safe. If you choose not to use it you have to remember to ask for an adjustment to your bill upon checkout.
- thin walls
- closet was so small our suitcase almost didn't fit inside.
- pool: funky green color, too much chlorine, not skimmed - bugs floating in it.
- poor WiFi connection - kept losing the connection in our room
- stairs and upstairs walkways are uneven and look run-down. You had to watch your step on the stairs because they were built with uneven heights between one step and the next.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Harpenden, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

I have happy memories of this hotel when it was a Comfort Inn, but when I went to book it this time I discovered that it had been elevated to Clarion status and that it now had a silly name. Still, I looked forward to the stay.

The receptionist was lounging behind the desk talking on the phone, using one of those ear and mouth piece things, so I could not tell whether he was talking to me or to someone on the phone. He was certainly very curt. On the way from the car to my room, I passed sacks of rubbish, the carpet from a car boot (trunk) drying out on a bench and what looked like an old supermarket trolley stuffed under the stairs. The room was okay, but I should have asked for one with a balcony.

Breakfast was one of the most basic I have ever had at an American hotel (except perhaps for a Super 8) and the same receptionist was still talking on the phone and didn't even speak to me when I checked out. They need to so something about the breakfast, keeping the grounds free of rubbish and getting a new man or woman on reception.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Monterey, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

I recently stayed at the Lodge at Calistoga and had a great experience. I was traveling with several friends, we had gone on a road trip for a few days, and were ending the trip with some relaxation and wine tasting in Calistoga/Napa. 6 of us stayed in 3 rooms, and all of us had a very nice and comfortable experience from begining to end. While driving to the hotel at night, we were confused about the directions we had obtained from google maps, so I called the Lodge, twice, and they were extremely helpful in giving us directions, as well as different options, explaining which routes were fastest, and which were more winding roads, etc. Once we arrived we were greeted well, everyone was friendly, and the check-in process was very fast. We were given some restaurant suggestions for dinner, and the main part of the town of Calistoga is very close, so it was very easy to get there (walkable even). Our stay in the rooms at night was very comfotable. Everything was clean, and the beds were especially comfy, and everyone commented on how well they slept. It was a particularly cold night, but the heaters worked well and we were all cozy in the rooms. In the morning the lobby had a very nice breakfast with bagels, cereal, muffins, etc. and freshly made waffles and breakfast burritos. The fireplace had a nice fire, so I sat and had coffee there and read until the rest of my group woke up. There was also a computer with internet access available for use. Again, the staff was extremely helpful and friendly, and gave me suggestions on wineries, spas, and restaurants. They even gave us passes and discount cards to several of the wineries, which we used later in the day. Before checking out, all of us used the pool and hot tub, as well as the sauna and steam room. There were even robes in the rooms for all of us to use which was a nice touch. As I said earlier, we had a great overall experience, and I would recommend staying here.

• Liked — The comfortable beds
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denton, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

This motel has a pretty good location and is within a reasonable walking distance in the daytime from downtown Calistoga. At night, it is a very dark walk with no streetlights until you get into the downtown area. The motel itself is more like an older Quality Inn/Motel 6 than a Clarion which is fine, except that the room was $175 a night. I realize location is everything and the motel is in the heart of Napa, but the place was pretty run-down for $175/night. Even though it was November, the room was warm so we turned on the air conditioning. The noise from the a/c sounded like a fan with a screwdriver stuck in it so we turned it off. Then it got warm again so I opened the window (a downstairs room facing the parking lot) but there was no screen on the window. I closed the window and tried the a/c again and again the racket was intolerable. I finally called the desk to see if they could give us another room and was told they were sold out, but that my bill would be appropriately adjusted in the morning. We turned off the a/c and slept in the $175/night stuffy warm room. In the morning the desk clerk informed me that it had been a cool night so we should not have needed air conditioning. He agreed to call his manager, Mr. Patel, and he took $15 off the room price. I don’t have any recommendations, but there must be better places to stay for the price. If not, I recommend you pay more and stay somewhere else.
•Positives:
* Decent continental breakfast with Belgian Waffles.
* Allowed us to stay only one night (Friday) when most of the local lodging required a two night stay.
•Negatives:
oNot a well maintained motel.
oThin walls and loud housekeepers.
oNot a good value

Stayed November 2008

Been to Comfort Inn Calistoga, Hot Springs of the West? Share your experiences!