“Perfect Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 29 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Sarasota, Florida
“Perfect Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2007

My husband and I visited this property for our anniversary. We were more than pleased and would definitely return.

The fire place, breakfast, big bathrooms with hot tub were wonderful. The bed was very comfortable with a nice down comforter.

We had mentioned it was our anniversary and they had a bottle of champagne waiting for us when we arrived.

It was very quiet. I did request a room that wasn't on the busy road side (which really isn't all that busy) as I'm a light sleeper.

It's within walking distance of the many good restaurants. There is a wonderful Japanese restaurant 1 block away.

I would hightly recommend this hotel for someone looking for a romantic get away.

• Liked — fireplace, hot tub
  • Disliked — not really anything
  • Stayed November 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Brentwood, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2007

I had an experience this last week where I have on a yearly basis coordinated an offsite for my department of three. Each year I book rooms for Thursday and Friday nights for three rooms. This year we decided on Cottage Grove Inn. When I made the reservations with the front desk, I asked for a Thursday/Friday night stay for three rooms. I received an e-mail confirmation but didn't look closely enough to discover that the reservations were booked for an extra night for all three rooms. I assumed that the reservation desk did their job which apparently was not the case. When I went to check out, I was surprised that the front desk person, who was the one that I made the reservation with in the first place said that an extra night stay was booked and that we were on the hook for the rooms. I tried to explain that there must have been a mistake on their end but because they had sent me the e-mail confirmation they were not going to budge. The owner of the inn was present and when I explained the situation to her, she responded, "I think you're making a story for yourself." This was in front of both my bosses and my husband!!! I was so offended, I walked out. My husband, fortunately negotiated something where we had to eat the cost of one room but the customer service was very poor. I will not stay here again!

• Liked — Separate cottages
  • Disliked — Customer service
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

We stayed at the Cottage Grove Inn in early January, on our first tour of the Napa region. The cottages are quite pretty and cozily laid out, if a tad small. Comfortable, relaxing, quiet. There was some construction near the office, and the desk staff made sure to locate us far from any potential noise. Through a package that Cottage Grove offered, we booked double massages in our cottage and those were excellent -- the masseuses were very professional, prepared our hot tub for us and rubbed us into bliss on tables they carefully set up. The accompanying wine tour (part of the package) was just OK, but we remain glad we did it. For the evening, would suggest a dinner at the nearby Calistoga Inn! Will return to Cottage Grove Inn -- we clocked 2.5 hours from leaving Calistoga at 9 AM to getting to the security line at SFO after returning the rental car -- not bad at all.

Stayed January 2007
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2007

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Cottage Grove Inn in December and we thoroughly enjoyed the Travelers Cottage. The wood-burning fireplace was wonderful after a long day of wine tasting. We both had birthdays in December, so we were greeted with two small bottles of champagne. Very nice touch. The deep jacuzzi tub was awesome. The location of the inn is very convenient for exploring the Silverado Trail wineries. We also enjoyed the nightly wine and cheese hours, but had to be careful not to fill up too much before our local dinner reservations.

There is a nice market very close called CalMart where we picked up pre-made items and had dinner in front of our fireplace one night. We also dined at Boscos Trattorrio in downtown Calistoga and Blue (sushi restaurant) in downtown St. Helena. Both places were very good. Boscos allowed us to bring our own bottle of wine for a very small corking fee. Blue has marvelous and innovative sushi.

We thought the staff at Cottage Grove was very pleasant. As for the "warning" signs in the rooms, I thought they were kind of humorous actually. We did not find them offensive in the least.

All in all, we had a very pleasant stay and will most likely return.

• Liked — Fireplace, jacuzzi tub, wine and cheese hour each night, location
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
laguna Beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2007

My husband and I were in a beautiful wedding in Napa CA. We should have stayed at the Oberge de Solie like the rest of the wedding party but we tryed to save money so we stayed at the Cottage Grove Inn. The women that run the place are a nightmare they are nosey and rude. First they charged our friends credit card and then they charged ours for the same night. They told us to pay our friend back. Then they complained when I started my period while sleeping. She called my cell phone and complained that I was rude to her cleaning crew. I was so embarressed. She also charged our credit card 17 dollars to send a 1 dollar pair of reading glasses. She charged us for several hangers that we never took. All in All the management was horrible. If you are between the ages of 12 and 55 and are menstrating do not stay at this hotel.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay here
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2007

The Cottage Grove Inn's room are luxurious, but too small for the high price ($275 in mid season). The bathroom's great, bed very comfy, and furnishings delightful. The breakfast and wine reception are very good and add a nice touch.

The Inn has some oddities. For instance, there are notes in the rooms which are rude and bossy and assume you're going to make mistakes. A few examples include a note which is very assertive about how to make coffee in the an automatic brew pot correctly (it's pretty obvious). Another states that you should leave your room promptly by checkout time or you'll be charged another day's stay.

We would not stay here again in light of the above since there are other great places more reasonably priced in the area.

Stayed December 2006
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2007

My wife and I agree with many of the positive things said by the other reviewers. The inn does lots of things well. The decor is beautiful, rooms have deep Jacuzzi tubs, and the wood-burning fireplaces are wonderful. Be warned that the rooms are small -- not for big people or claustrophobes. Our suggestion has to do with how the management communicates with guests, who after all are paying a princely sum to stay there ($275 a night in our case). Everywhere we looked we found warnings, often with the word "not" uppercased. Examples: Do NOT put too much coffee in the coffeemaker. Do NOT move the CD player. DO NOT use a hot plate! (Jeez, it never would have occurred to us. This wasn't the YMCA, after all.) Our favorite was the note attached to the robes in the closet, which warned us that should the robes disappear, "We would be happy to charge your credit card $90." These may seem like small points, but to us they weren't. We didn't appreciate being hectored. Granted, the public can be irritating, but guests should get the benefit of the doubt. There is a way to communicate with people that doesn't offend; the managers should visit any of the wonderful Four Sisters properties in Northern California if they want to learn how. (The Four Sisters inn in Sonoma is wonderful, by the way, and half the Cottage Grove's price.)

Stayed December 2006

Been to Cottage Grove Inn? Share your experiences!