“Hidden Gem in Calistoga” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Craftsman Inn

You added The Craftsman Inn to your Saves list
The Craftsman Inn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1213 Foothill Boulevard, Calistoga, CA 94515   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Book Direct for Best Rate
Ranked #10 of 29 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Hidden Gem in Calistoga”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

This is a great litte B&B in Calistoga. It's my first time staying at the Craftsman Inn and it was a great first impression. I was greeted by a gracious host who was baking cookies and granola. What a wonderful and cozy place! The smell of fresh baked goods was enough to keep me there. I stayed in the Spring room wich was great for me and since I was on a solo trip this time the room was perfect. The only room at the Inn with its own private entrance at ground level. The soaking tub was nice after a long day of being out in the cold. The room was immaculate. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and clean. Breakfast the next day consisted of fresh baked blue berry and coconut scones( which the aroma drafted into my room and that's what woke me. Fresh OJ and homemade yogurt and French toast with Carmelized apples. Yummy! I felt like a hobbit who wanted 2nd breakfast!
I would highly recommend this lnn to anybody staying in Calistoga.
I will be back!

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Overland Park, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Craftsman Inn for our 1-year wedding anniversary and we just LOVED it! Calistoga is such a beautiful town and this B&B is about a 2 minute walk from town. It's right on the main drag & is so easy to get around. As for the B&B itself, Gillian was amazing! She was so helpful with all of our questions/needs and she was very accessible. If she wasn't around the B&B, you could always reach her on her cell phone for anything you needed. Her breakfasts were incredible - I'm missing them already! My favorite was her Maple Nut Scone...mmmmm! We stayed in the Palisades Room which is on the front of the house, right above the porch. It does face the main road, but we had absolutely zero problems with noise. The bed was super comfortable and everything was spotless. The brandy & cookies were a bonus! Very yummy! If you are considering a stay in Wine Country, I highly suggest The Craftsman Inn. We will definitely be staying there again on our next visit! Thanks Nick & Gillian - for everything!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Stanford, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I were lucky enough to be able to escape for the weekend to Calistoga, and by a measure of good fortune, arrived at the Craftsman Inn for our night's stay. To say that we were overwhelmed by just how friendly the owner was, would be an understatement. She had an invested interest in making us feel welcome and special. The homely feel to this bed and breakfast cannot be overstated. The room ("Spring" room) had a wonderful terrace, was immaculate and clean, and more comfortable than many of my recent branded hotel stays (travel a lot). All basic amenities were provided. Finally, the owner made an outstanding breakfast which we shared at the main dining area in the facility, allowing us to mingle a little with other overnight guests. The hotel is within a 15 second walk to the main street downtown Calistoga area. Perfect location. The owner should be very proud.

Room Tip: Do not miss breakfast
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Knightsen, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

My brother & I desperately needed to get away to relax. Took me awhile to decide on a B&B. There were a lot! I'm so glad I chose the Craftsman Inn. At check in we met one of the owners, Gillian. What an amazing lady! She's not only one of the owners but she's also the chef! And what a great chef! She cooked everything for breakfast, which was outstanding. She even has a published cookbook & of course, I had to buy one! The Inn was beautiful & very clean. We stayed in the Helena room. Very comfortable bed & very nice bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. It was very relaxing. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Manhattan Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We needed a place for one night, easy in and out, in a small town, for a reasonable price. This small B&B was perfect; attractive, clean and comfortable, cable & wifi, gourmet breakfast at table with all other guests. If you have a problem with stairs or if slanted ceilings bother you, make sure you will be on the first floor before booking. Tourist info was available in the living room. The walk into the town center requires crossing the highway at a stop sign.

Room Tip: If stairs or slanted ceilings are a problem, make sure you will be on the first floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
WineWayInnOwners, Owner at The Craftsman Inn, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thanks for the nice review, hope you can stay longer next time.

Regards,

Nick and Gillian
707 341 3035
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed at The Craftsman Inn for just one night during our trip through California in September and it was a delightful experience.

Calistoga is quaint and peaceful and The Craftsman fits in beautifully with this vibe. The rooms are very comfortable and tastefully decorated and internally the whole place has an Arts and Crafts look.

We had heard in town that Gillian the owner was a great cook and to expect a good breakfast. Having in the past struggled my way through many a hotel English/Scottish Breakfast I expected the usual "Great British fry-up." But the buffet options available were so different to this and which included poached plums, a nice muesli mix, homemade scones and I particularly enjoyed the Cowboy Beans from the hot dishes. Though with black olives and sundried tomatoes in this, the cowboys of Calistoga must have roamed the plains of Tuscany at some time.

A really enjoyable stopover and I just wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Enjoy the breakfast.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
So glad you enjoyed your stay, the California Cowboy Breakfast is very popular. It is vegan and gluten free and works well for guest who have those restrictions but as you confirmed is enjoyed by everyone. I can't remember if you got my book, "Inn Food - A Seasonal Wine Country Breakfast", if you did the recipe is in there.

Thanks again for staying and hope to welcome you back if you are visiting again.

Regards

Gillian

Nick and Gillian Kite - Innkeepers/Owners
Contact: The Craftsman Inn at:
1213 Foothill Boulevard - Calistoga, CA 94515
Phone: 707-341-3035
Ramat Gan, Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at the inn for two nights. When we got there, there was no one to welcome us, just a letter and a set of keys left near the door. We called the owner to find out which tour stops by, and were told that the calistoga shuttle drives around the city's wineries for free. When we ordered the shuttle we found out we need tickets from the inn to ride for free. Luckily, the inn owner was there, for the only time, and we got the tickets. We didn't get any help ordering tours. Breakfast was nice, but didn't have a lot of variety. The room was nice, but the shower was tiny, and we woke up early every morning because you hear everything thats going on on the street. We got cookies only on our first day, and didnt even get a congratulations for us being on our honeymoon .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
WineWayInnOwners, Owner at The Craftsman Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Hi Liran, what a shame that you felt so bad about your honeymoon. I wish you had let me know what you wanted and I would have done anything I could to help you, as I do all my guests. If you read our other reviews I think you will see that people do enjoy staying with us and I don't quite understand why you are so unhappy.

Late check in seems to work smoothly for our guests and you had only to call the cell phone we left you if you needed anything, we were probably just in town having dinner. I usually tell my guests about the shuttle tickets (which are in the guest lounge) when I check them in. I’m not sure where you got the shuttle number from because the only place I have it is on the shuttle ticket, which I gave to you when you asked about it. You didn’t ask about recommendations which I would have been more than happy to help with, why would I not help? It is very unusual that your cookies were not refilled, Ellie is very conscientious about those and all the other important little details of housekeeping. Again, plenty available if you had only mentioned it, I am not trying to save on cookies!

I'm sorry you thought it appropriate to give us our worst review in the 6 years we have been open. Honestly Liran, it is unfortunate you didn’t put your energy into letting me know how I could help make your stay enjoyable rather than storing up this list of grievances for later. You only get one honeymoon and I wish only that I could have helped you enjoy it more, nothing I can do now you are gone.

Regards,

Gillian

Nick and Gillian Kite - Innkeepers/Owners
Contact: The Craftsman Inn at:
1213 Foothill Boulevard - Calistoga, CA 94515
Phone: 707-341-3035

Been to The Craftsman Inn? Share your experiences!