“pretentious and horrendous” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
san francisco, ca
“pretentious and horrendous”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

I used to work in Hospitality. I now work at a company that travels a lot, and I'm lucky to stay in lovely hotels all over the world with my crew. Please don't misunderstand: these things don't make me spoiled, but well-versed.
A group of 12 of us recently stayed at the hotel during a work trip. We work hard and the thought of having a nice comfortable place to stay at night was something to look forward to.
we heard good things, and the property was lovely upon sight. Not at all what I expected, as it was so new and suburban feeling, almost a bit like something out of the The Truman Show, but its new, so excusable. The rooms are huge. A lot bigger than I needed. Our group of 12 was staying one week, so I didn't feel bad calling to ask if I could switch to a room with one bed vs. two, since I was alone here for 7 days, but they said they couldn't work it out so I shrugged and didn't make a thing of it. (although I found this strange because it was a Monday and the hotel seemed kind of empty).

The next night, a work friend called the hotel restaurant, Bar Sol, to make a reservation for 12. She called at 5:30 for a 7:30 dinner reservation. The hostess laughed in her face, which I found unnecessary and rude. However, we are a reasonable group and I suppose it was kind of last minute, so when she told us there is no way she could fit us in, we made no deal of it and decided to meet for cocktails at the bar/restaurant first and then go into town for dinner. At this point, the group had now narrowed to 8.
While we were at SolBar having cocktails, 7:30 rolled around and we realized the place was quite empty. There were over 10 tables open outside and an entire indoor eating area inside with not ONE table occupied. We asked the hostess if she could fit our group afterall, and she said she'd "work on it". (?) Even the bartender questioned what was taking so long in getting her to seat us, as he was getting slammed at the bar due to their lack of effort in finding us a proper table. About an hour and an order of appetizers in an empty restaurant later, they finally sat us down.
We waited for an HOUR AND A HALF before they even brought us BREAD. two hours later, we were served food that wasn't worth the wait (maybe we were just fuming). We asked the waiter what the deal was and he answered uncomfortably, "i'm not supposed to talk about why we can't seat people here. its a weird thing that doesn't make sense" (!) We stopped prying and his manager/the hostess lady pulled him aside and we never saw him again! they had another person tend to us the rest of the meal. It was really strange and felt more like The Truman Show by the minute. Like a cult or something.

The next awful event was the spa. It happened to be my birthday during my stay, and my boss generously booked me a massage our last night at the hotel. He made a 6pm reservation. I showed up at 5:30 and the girl told me to go wait in the mineral pool. It was 99 degrees outside, and I was in a robe, and the pool was pretty hot too, so I opted to sit outside the mineral pool under an oning and wait for the masseuse. 6:10 rolls around and I thought I misunderstood, so I went back to the front desk to see where she was.The girl then rudely told me that I was in the wrong area and that I was supposed to have come back inside (wrong. she did NOT tell me that. she told me the masseuse was supposed to come find me, which is the norm in spas. besides, i had not moved from where she told me to go originally). She then told me to go wait in the waiting area, which was cute, but outside. Again, I had on a robe and it was 99 degrees outside. I'm pouring sweat, and getting cranky. Its 6:30 something. I go inside to the air conditioned area in the front reception and told her I'd wait there. After a lot of squirming around up at the front desk, the manager then comes to report that they've made a mistake and can't fit me in. (I'm sure you readers must thing I either: stink, am funny looking or am some sort of whacked out maniac at this point in the story considering all of these people keep denying me service. But alas, none of this is true, i can assure you). She was trying very hard to be sugary nice and fix the problem by offering things like, "we have a male masseuse that can give you a foot rub" (I specifically wanted a female masseuse and told them this earlier in the day after my boss booked the appointment for me and told her I would not take a male in replacement of my original request, so she tried to push this weird situation about a foot massage on me). she offered to let me take a dip in their mineral pool (uh, that comes free with the service, you ain't fooling me here) and then finally, when I explained to her I had knots in my back I was looking forward to getting worked on with a proper massage and a dip in the pool wouldn't cut it as a replacement, she insisted I go to a room with this specialty NASA-built-state of the art chair which was a great massage chair and really relaxing. At this point, I"m utterly annoyed and said no thank you, but she insisted I go sit in the chair while she tried to work out my appointment. I said okay and was lead to a room with what is basically a luxury lazy-boy. it doesn't move, you lounge in it and put on earphones while they play bad hippie jazz in your earphones. I'll admit, I was in a really bad mood at this point, so maybe to some this could be relaxing, but after 2 minutes, I turned the stupid thing off, went to the bathroom, got dressed and left. I told them to call me in my room if they could fit me in soon. She chased me out the door saying they could get me in in 30 minutes. I gave in and said okay, but that I needed to call my friends, seeing as I had dinner reservations soon and I had to check to see if we could push them back. It turns out our dinner plans could not be rearranged, so I called her to express my disappointment in this situation and even added that we had a similarly bad experience at the restaurant a couple of nights before. She said I'm sorry and didn't offer any complimentary treatment on a future visit or anything in leu of .
She did, however, send a candle and an apology to my room, but after all that craziness, it didn't make up for it. Although her effort was appreciated, her ideas of things (foot massage, free pool usage, weird dumb space chair, candle) as replacements for the hour massage I got screwed on, were stupid.

Later, to just get the day over with, I ordered room service. The delivery girl walked right into my room upon delivering my food,even though I took the platter from her hands and insisted she didn't have to help me set it up, attempted to be chatty cathy about what was on my tv, and then later, around 10pm, might i add, came banging on my door asking for the dishes back.Literally, BANGING and yelling into my door. I was asleep.

Overall, this place is so utterly pretentious. They built this huge commune, filled it with fancy rooms, a spa and a restaurant but obviously don't have the man power or knowledge of how to train their staff to be service-oriented. Nobody there asks what YOU want, how they can help YOU, but instead, treat you like you should be lucky to be there. I don't buy it. You don't build clientle by trying to trick people into thinking they are part of something good, or part of some "scene" they are trying to create, but instead, you built clientle by offering good, professional service, by working with a customer and their needs, and by stepping off your high horse.

They lost a group of potentially 40 something people, for weeks at a time, every few months. THATS how bad the service was. My entire crew was talking about how bad this experience was. And even best! I didn't pay for anything! My work paid for everything and I am still just mad. I cannot IMAGINE how livid I would be if this were my own money, saved up for a vacation. Absolutely not worth it. This place needs to take some of the money they put into the extra, weird space in the room and replace it with some service training around here. Clean, comfy space is not worth such dirty attitudes.

• Liked — the location, the bike rentals
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Paramus, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

My husband and I stayed three days at Solage to celebrate our anniversary and absolutely loved it. I had read some negative comments but had no issues with the property which is putting in beautiful lush landscaping. I loved the privacy of having our own cabin and the room was spotless. The food was delicous and the wait staff was very attentive. I had a massage and my husband a mud bath which we enjoyed. The facilities at the spa are very nice, I highly recommend using the mineral pool in the Bathhouse. The gym equipment was first rate and has a view of the moutains surrounding the property. Overall, I think it was one of the best hotels I've experienced.

• Liked — Having a patio to lounge on and enjoy the view of the mountains
  • Disliked — You have to like walking because it is a bit of a distance to get to things, but I like that
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Fletcher, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

My husband and I spent two terrific nights at Solage. Room was beautiful: contemporary but comfy. There's lots of wood and stone, a wonderful bed, fireplace and covered patio. A great place to kick back and enjoy some of the wines from the vineyards just down the road. We pedaled our bikes into town but made sure we were back in time to enjor a yummy breakfast--outdoors near the gorgeous pool--both mornings. The spa, the fitness center were all first-rate. Mud slide treatment is a blast!
Once we tasted the food at Solbar, we didn't eat any place else. It's just plain deliciious. Well, not really plain as the ingredients and preparations are more like what you'd find at fine dining restaurants. Gnocchi, steamed pork buns, sand dabs, desserts were all outstanding. I love Solage's design. Being from the East Coast, it feels very exotic: so open and unadorned that it's hard to know where inside ends and outside begins. We'll go again and soon.

• Liked — Very nice. Close to restaurant, activities, yet quiet and private.
  • Disliked — I really can't think of anything we didn't like.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

Solage has all the basic elements to become a great resort. It's almost there, but not quite. I'm reluctant to be at all negative because I had such a relaxing and enjoyable time. When you visit I think you'll see what I mean. Unlike some five star resorts this property -- perhaps because of the informality of California and the surrounding rustic ranch-like country -- is quite relaxing from the moment you drive up. It doesn't take time to unwind. I guess that someone would say the karma is good at this place. There is this wonderful setting and the quiet of the Silverado Trail backcountry.

At any rate the location is superb. The main dining room has one of the most beautiful views of the mountains through a huge, two or three story window. Outdoor dining with a fire on top of a rectangular fountain is superb. The sommelier is knowledgeable and helpful with the wine selections and the concierges on which wineries to visit down the road (Joseph Phelps, Clos Pegase, etc.) if you don't have a week to visit all of the usual suspects in Napa, St. Helena and Rutherford.

Architecture at Solage is simple yet extremely well-designed (contemporary) one-storey buildings with vaulting ceilings and the lastest electronics. A rather fun coffee maker. The rooms are individual houses with open rooms and private cabanas set up with exterior sofas for a drink or meals. There are bikes outside each concrete-floored cabin to get around the property or ride into nearby Calistoga. (Try Sarafornia if you want a great breakfast or lunch outside the spa menu and prices.)

I found the staff quite helpful. I'd give them a top rating. From making airline bookings at midnight to information on geology, history and wines, they know a great deal. Everyone seems to be about 25 or 30 and very charming. They are very devoted to the enterprise.

• Liked — Casual design in beautiful location.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
santa monica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

on a recent trip to the Napa Valley, one of the most special places in our wonderful country, i stumbled upon a new hotel, Solage Calistoga, located at the northern end of the valley in the charming little town of Calistoga. The room i stayed in (and all the rooms, as far as i could tell) was a separate bungalow, beautifully-appointed and furnished. One of the best showers of all time! A really comfortable and mellow place to relax; however, i spent more time outside the room than in. Each room has a pair of bicycles parked just outside the room, for guests to use around the grounds or around the town. I used mine to ride into town for dinner, not only making it a fun journey, but also safer seeing as to the amount of wine-tasting i'd done earlier that day! After finding my way back to the hotel, i had drinks in the hotel bar/restaurant, which was quietly elegant, yet relaxed. And challenged a friend to a game of bocce on the courts on the patio while enjoying a late dessert and nightcap. Solage also has an excellent spa/gym if you're inclined to exercise more than your elbow during your forays to the local vineyards/tasting rooms. And a gorgeous pool as well. This is the place to stay, especially if you have at least a few days, thus enabling you to enjoy all the amenities Solage has to offer!

Stayed July 2008
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

My husband and I stayed their with another couple for a weekend trip. I rated the place "above average" because there are some outstanding features of this hotel/spa but there are some negative features as well which makes it hard for us to decide whether we would go there again, especially given how expensive the place is.

I didn't have time to read the reviews on tripadvisor (which I normally do) before our trip and I wish I had because they are quite accurate. I only had their website to go by and when we got there, we were really disappointed because the entire place looked a lot "cheaper" than what we were imagining from their brochure and website. The place is very new and the trees and shrubbery they had planted are still very young so the entire place looks very bare. The entire bareness highlights the cheap construction of the "bungalows" where visitors stay and it is too reminiscent of "summer camp" from our childhood days. With the prices were paying, we were looking for more than "summer camp." We had the most expensive unit in this hotel - a suite. Unfortunately, our suite looked onto the trailer/motor home camp which we could see easily because they didn't bother to have some tall shrubs covering this unpleasant view. We were a little disappointed that we had paid $800 a night to have an experience of staying in a summer camping ground. If you are allergic to bug bites (as we are), make sure you bring bugspray...I don't think they spray the premises (since they are very green) so we got bitten by a variety of bugs while walking around the hotel grounds.

To be fair to the hotel, the inside of the suite was very nice (if you like the modern/contemporary "West Elm" look). Our bathroom was very large and we liked the fact that we each had a bathroom sink (thus we never had to fight for the bathroom mirror). Also, the toilet had a separate door which was nice. The tub was large and our suite had a separate shower which was very spacious. The cement floors were also nice on out bare feet, especially when it was 100F outside...though I can imagine they may be a little cold for winter visitors.

We also had our own patio with a dining table, chairs and a hot tub..this patio area was walled off so we had complete privacy when we were outside and enjoying the hot tub. The suite may be worth it for couples and honeymooners who are looking for a romantic getaway. The view of the stars while relaxing in the hot tub at night was quite incredible.

Other pros - the restaurant bar has excellent food... everything we ordered on the menu was delicious...hotel staff members are friendly, unpretentious and helpful. The spa was excellent too - my friends and I had massages which were incredible and they are highly recommended.

Still, next time I am in that area I may opt to stay at another hotel for less and just pay for use of their spa treatment and mineral pool.

• Liked — the spa treatment
  • Disliked — the premises and view
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

I stayed at Solage Calistoga this past weekend for 3 nights. My partner and I needed to get out of the city. We had seen all the press on Solage so we booked and are so happy we did. We have been going to Napa Valley for a few years, now we have found a resort we can truly say, "we love everything about it." The staff we the amongst the best I've encountered in my travels.What really was refreshing to us is they really wanted to help us and cared about the experience we we having. The restaurant and spa were excellent. The rooms were comfortable but modern.

• Liked — clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — that we had to leave
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Solage Calistoga? Share your experiences!