“Excellent...Every Time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
“Excellent...Every Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

This is our fourth time at Solage and we still love it here. It's our favorite place to stay in the valley. We've stayed at almost every property here in the last 8 years and I wouldn't even think of staying anywhere else. It's chic, sophisticated and a good value for the money. The rooms are modern and comfortable. I had a problem the first night with the pillow. I woke up in the morning and thought I had meningitis; my neck was killing me. No problem, a choice of pillows were there a few minutes later. Out of diet coke, my favorite beverage after pinot, no problem, a few minutes later, diet coke arrives. No request is too small or too big, Service is outstanding!
We booked the rise and dine package. The breakfast was delicious, service in the restaurant was attentive, and as an added bonus we got to use the geothermic pools. Floating around in a mineral hot pool after an arduous day of wine tasting is a dream come true. The closet is a little tight but we come for a week stay and much to my husband's dismay, I pack the equivalent of a steamer trunk.
The bottom line is we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

To start the review: The resort is really beautifully designed, the studios are lovely, the gym is top notch and the restaurant is the most relaxed and most "normal" (also from a price point of view!) Michelin Star restaurant I've ever been. The hotel pool is Olympic size and just drop dead gorgeous. They gym is lovely, well equipped and they even have an outdoor part to it. Nice touch. Locker room comes with a steam room and is positioned in the Spa. The whole resort is one huge beautifully kept garden. So all of this would deserve a five star rating in tripadvisor, if it wasn't for some points that they'll need to fix.

Here are the things that I think need improvement or need to be changed:

1. We had booked two rooms under the same name and arrived at 3.45pm to check in. We were assigned two studios that were far away from each other and then were told that one of them wasn't ready. When I complained I was told that "guaranteed check-in time" was 4pm. I asked whether we could get rooms closer to each other (which any other resort with a similar price tag would automatically try to accomplish!), they found two studios near each other but not next door. My mum (it was her birthday trip) didn't like to have a foreigner share the same entry. After complaining at reception again, we found there were two options of studios next door to each other. We chose one of the options (no. 86 and 88), which were nicely located, with a lot of privacy, meaning nobody could look into your terrace and room. A bit close to the main road, however, but okay. I wondered why it took so much complaining to get what we thought should have been given to us anyway.

2. When checking in, we asked for a table at sol.bar, the resort's restaurant. We were given an option of 5.45pm or 8.45pm as only options. Again, I had to complain, was told they were fully booked, but magically after 5 minutes, we were given a table at 7pm. After breakfast the next morning, I asked for a table that night as we really enjoyed dinner and - we were given 5.45 or 8.45 as only options for dinner. I complained again and asked them to try to sort something out and call me if they found any other options. Guess what: less than 5 minutes later, they called me and confirmed a table at 7.15. It makes you feel that they try to give you the off-hours tables and save the ones between 7 and 8 for other guests - unless you complain.

3. Next day early morning I called reception to tell them it was my mum's birthday, apologized for the short notice (I was just too tired the night before and had forgotten to ask then) and asked if there was anything they could do at breakfast to acknowledge mum's birthday. They promised they would. Well, at breakfast nothing happened. When talking to the guest relations manager later, she admitted that reception had told the restaurant but they f***ed it up.

4. Hardly any service at the gorgeous pool. Eventually some drinking water was supplied but if you wanted to order anything, you'd have to walk over to the restaurant. It would take them much to just pop over every 20 minutes or so and check if anybody wants anything. It would also generate more revenues to them, wouldn't it?

5. They have a bath house with a geo-thermal pool plus smaller hot pools in men's and women's separate clothing-optional zones with another steam room. This is part of the resort, but if you want to use this area and haven't booked a treatment at the spa, they charge 25$ per day and person. It's okay to charge that for non-residents, but I don't like the idea of ripping off hotel guests to use one of the resort's facilities.

6. I hadn't used it, but read in the hotel brochure that the lovely gazebos at the pool can be reserved - for 95$ a day. Again, I feel they try to rip-off the guests here. I would accept that reservations are taken on a first come first serve but to charge nearly a hundred bucks is a bit greedy.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room not too closed to the main road. If privacy is an issue, check out whether...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here for our wedding anniversary. We were repeatedly congratulated on our anniversary throughout our stay. Ate all meals at Solbar and did not regret it. The mineral pool in the spa is outstanding. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Go with an upgraded room. It's worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We (2 adults + 1 child (10yr old) had a wonderful 2 night stay at Solage. We arrived around 2pm and luckily our room was ready. The rooms are very comfortable and well decorated. We got a double queen room which was perfect for us. The first day we spent swimming and relaxing around the pools. The resort wasn't crowded and there were only a few guests around so for most of our stay we had the pool to ourselves. I'm sure everyone was wine tasting but with our son we decided to stay and enjoy the beautiful resort. The resort has an olympic size adult pool with many nice lounge chairs and cabanas. Next to the adult pool is a smaller family pool with chairs, cabana, and fusbal table. Both pools have a jacuuzi.

The second day my wife had a full line up of spa treatments so off she went. My son and I were deciding what to do so we went to the front desk and asked them if we could take the convertible SL550 Mercedes Benz for a spin. They said sure so we put the top down and got into the rocket ship. If you ever want to do some father son bonding try putting the top down on a sports car, telling your son to hold on, and then punch the pedal to metal and watch his head hit the back of the seat....he let out a big scream WHOA and had a smile pasted on his face. It was so much fun and I highly recommend it. Has to be one of the best ways to see Napa. We spun around the valley and pulled into Twomey which is my wife's favorite merlot. I snuck in a wine tasting, picked up a few bottles and the Twomey staff were wonderfully nice to my son. We literally jetted back to Solage and spent the rest of the afternoon playing bocce ball, fusbal and swimming. My wife came out glowing from the spa and raved about the treatment. It was the best she has had in America. Her favorite is still Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong.

We had every meal breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Solbar. It's highly rated by Michelin and I didn't want to drive since I was planning to have copious amounts of wine. No complaints as the meals especially the dinners were outstanding. Some of the best, freshest, and well prepared meals I've had in America. My favorite was the duck and my wife really enjoyed the skirtsteak. One night i had the lamb shank which i don't recommend it was overcooked, dry, and a bit too salty. I tried to change it but chef in kitchen said it would take another 30 mins so i decided to just accept it. To my surprise, the waiter was kind enough to not charge for the lamb. I brought one of the Twomey (winery is just around the corner from Solage) '05 merlots to dinner and it went absolutely perfect with the red meats. Highly recommend that pairing. There is no corkage on Wed nights what a deal! The service, food, and ambience are so relaxing and enjoyable. My whole family really had a chance to unwind and enjoy the luxury of Solage.

My wife raved about her massage, mudslide, and pedicure. She is a tough customer to satisfy but she said she had no complaints about the spa, room, resort, or restaurant. That is very rare indeed.

I didn't take any spa treatments but i did work out in the gym which was very well equipped and comfortable. Then i enjoyed the mineral pools which is a must. I had the mineral pools all to myself. There is one coed clothing req's large pool and 2 separate clothing optional private mineral his/her pools. There's something very Zen about the mineral pools. You relax your body, mind and come out feeling all warm and fuzzy.

We went in early Spring so Napa wasn't crowded at all. The grape vines are bare but still beautiful. During peak season traffic can be a killer. We prefer the lower season as the service is more personal (we were the only ones in Twomey) and I hate traffic.

We'll be back to Solage for sure. The rooms, spa, gym, mineral pools, Solbar, and the complimentary covertible rocket ship are hard to beat. The guests are Solage are very International and well mannered. We met some wonderful people during our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Wonderful, beautiful get away and what a great area. Excellent service, wonderful spa and hot baths, and great complimentary spin and yoga classes. What else could one ask for?
The rooms are spacious, very clean, modern and excellent bath products.
Restaurant served fantastic breakfast, and if you get a package it is worth it for the break:) yummy:):)
I would definitely visit again and i truly find it is well valued:):)
Thank you for making my birthday trip so special and so individualized. Comp champagne....its the small touches that count and go such a long way!:) Danke.

Room Tip: any room is good, but we were in vila 50. Loved it:)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was our second stay at Solage and we again had a wonderful time. 89 studios, a Michelin starred restaurant (Solbar), a breathtaking swimming pool and an award winning spa with mineral pools make for a great weekend retreat. Our room was in tiptop shape and included an impressive 60 inch Samsung flat screen TV that we never turned on, as well as two bicycles. Each bungalow has a small terrace with patio furniture and the entire property is surrounded by beautiful mountains/hills. Breakfast at the restaurant was very good. Service was very friendly and room service came early each day. Overall, I would say that Solage is one of the top destinations in the Napa Valley. The one mistake we made was to book restaurants for dinner that were too far away from the hotel. Napa and Yountville are approx. 40 min. away from Calistoga, so we drove approx. 100 miles to get to two restaurants and back. I would suggest booking restaurants that are closer. We have had dinner at Solbar before, but wanted something else this time around since breakfast, bar, and dinner are all located in the same place. The other thing that is somewhat unique to Solage is the fact that they do not have a lobby. Guests check in inside a small building and the bar is the only inside public place to sit, read or have a drink. We very much enjoyed our time at Solage and will definitely return.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are good.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Camas, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Solage is a great hotel / spa get-a-away and perfect for a high end business retreat, a honeymoon or a wedding / wedding anniversary. Romantic, beautiful, and well...sometimes the price doesn't matter...

Food: There is the world's best chefs and best food in this area. Check around and book your reservations early (like months early). We love Ad-hoc, Cook, but don't forget that this place has a michelin star chef. Expect to spend $200 per person a day on food and wine in this area if you want to live it up. If you want to go on the cheap probably best not to come to Solage.

What wasn't that great:
The breakfast here is quite expensive but the fruit juices (I loved the carrot) are very refreshing, but also very expensive ($9/glass). You may be better off going to a nearby coffee shop so you can save up for dinner or a wine tasting.

What was amazing:
I was here for an offsite business conference. I would strongly encourage other business owners and conference planners to think about this place. It's wonderful.

The room. It's not really a room, they are stand alone studios with their own semi-private terraces (see the picture I attached). The rooms are of super high quality (think Westin or Ritz). In addition, they do a fun turn-down service in the evening and leave mint water in your room. How fun is that? Very...

The spa: I did the mudslide or something. It was great but would have been better with my significant other. Definitely a couples thing. In addition they have these healing water baths that are really wonderful. I didn't use the gym and instead did outdoor fitness activities.

Hiking, Biking and Jogging: Ask the front desk and they will give you multiple jogging trails around the property. There is a two mile and a six mile loop. I ended up doing both and they were nice. Biking or cycling is quite easy - just jump on and head south on the Silverado Trail. Didn't bring your Bike, don't worry - Solage will hook you up with one at no extra cost. :-) A wonderful ride through California Wine country. Wonderful indeed.

If hiking is your thing - there are plenty of great hikes in the area. The closest one is literally walking distance from Solage and it's called the Oat Hill Mine Trail. The trail is around 8 miles in each direction and goes along the ridge line above the Valley (on the East side) - very wonderful indeed.

Need a car? You can also borrow a BMW from their fleet of BMWs... are you getting the picture of what kind of place this is yet???

Getting here: You have a few airport options. SFO / OAK can suck due to delays. Even if you get in expect delays to get the car rented and the commute up to Calistoga is like 90 mins or more. SMF is also a doable option. It's 90-120 mins drive to get there but less crowded than say SFO.

The best option is the little known or used Santa Rosa airport. If you are coming "private" (God Bless you btw) then you can easily land your G4 or Boeing Biz Jet at STS. For the rest of us you can jump a flight on Alaska Airlines (they are the only option) from a number of places. It's 10 mins total to get your luggage and your rental and only a 30-40 mins drive to Solage and the drive is much more scenic than say fighting rush hour SFO traffic.

Getting around: If you are coming to the Napa Valley for the first time, my advise is to stay as North as you can, in Calistoga or St. Helena. Also, stay off the main HWY and instead roll with the alternative road on the East side called Silverado Trail. It's much more scenic.

My viewpoint is that of a person who travels 40%+ for the last two years globally (through North and South America, Asia and Europe). I am a Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum and Marriott Gold preferred guest and I have I've stayed at this hotel only once. Happy traveling

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Solage Calistoga? Share your experiences!