“Relaxing oasis” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“Relaxing oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We enjoyed our stay immensely. The studios are spacious, modern and well designed. The Solbar was great for breakfast and dinner. Main drawback is Calistoga is pretty far North in Napa Valley. Only disappoint was the Spa Room was too cold in the morning to be relaxing for our massages

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

582 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Sabina and I just returned from 3 days (and 5 Meals) at Solage and were blown away. We have stayed once before and it was amazing but the second trip was even better than the first. They are clearly capturing nearly all of our preferences and everyone knows who we are - just outstanding! I'll address the food at SolBar in a separate review but we have now had nearly a dozen meals there and every dish has been a huge hit.

Room Tip: Room 38 is fantastic!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 15 year anniversary with a 3-night stay at Solage Calistoga. We are so incredibly glad to have discovered this oasis, and definitely plan to return. I bought the package from LuxuryLink dot com, which came out to be a great deal.

We had a Vega Studio, which was plenty big, with a king bed, seating area, covered patio, and a large bathroom. Loved having the two cruiser bikes for our own personal use; we rode all over the resort with them. The room is contemporary Cali style, with an uncluttered, clean feel, soothing colors and textures, and high-end amenities--from the fluffy robes, towels, and slippers, to the toiletries, to the custom lighting settings, and extremely comfortable bed with crisp white linens. Wi-Fi was excellent. The room was quiet, private, and just oozed mellow.

We dined at Solbar several times; our package included daily breakfast and one full dinner. The food was sublimely Napa-esque: fresh and high-quality ingredients, absolutely delicious, and beautifully prepared. Like all excellent places in Napa Valley, they had a fabulous selection of wines and cocktails. Don't miss the made-to-order donut holes and dipping sauces, or the seared scallops, the beet salad, the wagyu beef...I could go on and on! We ate at the bar, inside, and on the patio--each one a lovely experience.

We used the fitness room a couple of times, as well as the two different pool areas--very nice. But you cannot stay at Solage without spending some time at their world-famous spa. We did a major package which included a couples' mudslide (out of this world!), a soak in a giant tub, and then a rest/nap on some kind of heated sound/vibration chair. Followed by a couples' massage. Followed by lunch. Seriously, it was 3.5 hours of heaven and we felt like two incredibly relaxed, soft-skinned, pieces of play-doh after.

Location: You are in Calistoga, the northern end of Napa Valley. Close to many excellent wineries, and the town of Calistoga, with its smaller-town charm and ambience.

The other thing I want to say about Solage is how professional, warm, and welcoming the staff were. When they confirmed my reservation/package, I had told them it was our 15 year anniversary. The entire time we were there, it was like the entire staff knew this and went out of their way to make our occasion even more special. From the champagne, cheese platter, and chocolate-covered strawberries in our room at arrival, to all the complimentary drinks at Solbar, and just people coming by and saying "Happy Anniversary"--it was really wonderful and so genuine.

I would recommend this place to everyone! Except my enemies--they do not deserve such a heavenly experience :)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
jalmond12, General Manager at Solage Calistoga, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Thank you for being our guest and we are honored that you have chosen to share such a momentous occasion with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. As a resort that prides itself in providing exemplary guest service, I was thrilled to receive your glowing report. To know that we have exceeded your expectations is a true compliment to the diligence of our entire team.

We hope to be your choice for a future stay in the Napa Valley.

Warm Regards,

Richard W. Hill
Pelham, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Solage with our 3 month old son over labor day last year. We stayed in the least expensive room, which was still $700/night and at that price point I was expecting more. From the pictures I was expecting a more resort like setting but it felt more like being in a community with a lot of concrete and parking spaces. The spa pool was very nice but the main pool was just ok - basically a big pool with not a lot of atmosphere. The rooms were nice but no very big. The highlight of the property for me was the restaurant which was excellent - we had breakfast there every day of our stay. So to sum it up - for a $100 more stay at Auberge de Soleil or one of their other sister properties. You'll be disappointed if you pay more than $400/night for Solage.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
jalmond12, General Manager at Solage Calistoga, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit to Solage. I genuinely appreciate you taking your valuable time to share your experience. We continually strive to enhance our service standards; your feedback plays a critical role in that process.

Since your last visit we have added many enhancements to the property including: a new pool bar at the main pool, enhanced lounge seating in Solbar and we are in the process of renovating all the studios which we hope to complete by the end of next year.

It is my hope that your travel plans will provide for a return visit to Solage. If I can be of assistance to you now or in the future, please do not hesitate in calling.

Warm Regards,

Richard W. Hill
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

(Weekday stay during the off-season, booked via Jetsetter, high-$200s range for Adara King room)

Along with Carneros Inn, my strongest recommendation for lodging on the Napa side of the Wine Country. I like it better than its sister property Calistoga Ranch.

I'd knock off half a star for the location of our Adara King cottage: While located farther away from the main pool area, and closer towards Calistoga town center, the back of the property does edge against an apartment complex. None of the cottage windows face that way, but it's a reminder that Calistoga is a functional little town and Solage is not a secluded retreat.

But everything else was pretty darned wonderful. Some highlights:

* Mudslide treatment for two, at the spa, was really fun, and a relative bargain for the amount of playful couples relaxation. It's nothing like the sulfurous-smelling mud bath treatments that the traditional -- OK, California Hippie -- spas in the area are known for. Linger at the pool afterwards.

* Taking the cottage bikes for a jaunt into town.

* Joyriding in the house Mercedes E550 coupe. If you see the silver cars out front, ask at the front desk about the free demo drive program.

* SolBar restaurant. More comments over there.

* And obviously the very nice, very private rooms.

All told it's similar to Carneros Inn or the aforementioned Calistoga Ranch. As a quick comparison, I thought the Calistoga Ranch rooms were nicer and more secluded (with remote location, tedious golf-cart-shuttle access); and the Carneros Inn was more picturesque (with remote location, requiring a car drive for all off-site activity).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

This is a review of the restaurant and spa only. Did not stay at the hotel itself.

Had lunch. Everything was perfect. Was seated immediately. Let the hostess know that we had a spa appointment in one hour and the timing accommodated that perfectly. Service: impeccable. Interior: spotless. One minor issue was that the seating was a little tight in the dining area and can get a little noisy. Food: superb. Both in presentation and the quantity was decent.

Spa: Had the mud treatment. Here's a breakdown of the procedures as well as review of staff and facilities. Staff: friendly and attentive, not overbearing. The place is not large so everything is really close. gym, treatment rooms, pools. check in was prompt. went into the locker room to change and get ready. 2 rows of lockers with 2 fully stock sinks. 2 showers and a steam room inside the locker room. fresh ice water with cold towels are available everywhere (nice touch and one that costs nothing). moved onto the treatment area where the mud was mixed and fully explained to us. You get a pretty small bucket of mud. Maybe 20oz of mud to rub over yourself as you are left alone in the hot room. The staff will knock in 20mins to alert you to shower off. the next 20mins you are in the mineral water, more like a hot bath with some salts and oils to get the body sweating out the toxins. Last 2 mins are spent in an antigravity chair, more sweating. Overall, very relaxing. The last step seemed a bit short and I would think another 10-20mins in the chair would have been nice. After that, you are at liberty to use the hot tubs (more like pools). The main tub is in the 90s and about 15x40 feet. The 2 single sex clothing optional hot tubs are 8 x 30 approx. So they are big hot tubs. Each single sex area has a cold pool and a steam room. Steam room was very hot and very good! Loved it.

The area is very quiet and relaxing. I was there on a cold day but weather permitting, you can spend alot of time outdoors here.

Loved the soap the have there!

Conclusion: recommend and would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed in Calistoga because a friend from the area recommended it. We originally planned on staying at Mt View in downtown Calistoga, but it was booked up for the rooms that would accommodate 4 ladies and boy, were we glad that we ended up at Solage!
This place is beautiful! The ONLY reason why I'm not giving it a 5 star rating is because some of the staff was a bit stuffy, however the majority were wonderful!

Rooms-
The layout is the first thing that sets it apart. Its a room, but it's actually your own little cottage with two cruiser bikes to use at your leisure.
Every room had a patio with a sitting area and a great view. There was some weird prairie grass mess that surrounded our patio. Im sure it was some kind of attempt at making it look rustic-chic, but in my opinion, it wasn't aesthetically pleasing and at one point we heard some kind of animal moving around in it. (luckily, we never had the pleasure of meeting said animal).
The beds were comfy and the room itself had plenty of space for four ladies and our luggage.
The bathroom was nice and big, but I really wish they had a bathtub!
The bath amenities smelled great and were from a local place, but none of us liked how the shampoo and conditioner made our hair feel, so bring your own. (the soap and lotion were just fine and all amenities were full size bottles).
We all loved that there was a coffee maker with a jar of coffee from a local shop, as well as an electric kettle to make tea! Yum! (the tropical green was a favorite!)
They also give you a complimentary reusable tote to take with you, some snacks like trail mix to munch on and a bottle of wine that was pretty good.
Most importantly, it was nice and clean!

The Spa-
Ahhh-Mazing!!!! We didn't want to leave! We did the mud slide treatment which was wonderful - we had our own sauna room set up for the four of us (which was nice because this treatment is best done in the nude) so we didn't have to feel all awkward in front of strangers. They give you cucumbers for your eyes and delicious flavored ice water. Then, after you shower off the mud, they take you to a warm scented bath to relax in and finally, the anti-gravity, sound vibration chair. Two of us loved it and fell asleep - the other two thought the chair was just ok.
We all had massages later in our stay and those were wonderful.
Our favorite part of the spa was the warm mineral pool surrounded by olive trees and peaceful serenity. They tap into the local hot spring water and this pool was the PERFECT temp!
They also have separate men's and women's lounge areas where you can lay by a large hot tub (sans clothes if you so choose) or sit in the eucalyptus steam room and then run out and jump into the little cold plunge pool - it was quite exhilarating!
Lastly, the spa food and drinks were delicious, so have some!!

Solbar -
We had a couple of us in our group with food sensitivities and we were always able to find something delicious to eat. The fresh fruit juice in the morning was incredible. (the pear was my fav). If you like oatmeal, it's not to be missed here. Seriously, we all loved our breakfast every morning.
We had dinner and drinks on the patio. The food was amazing (I think the best dinner we had and we tried a new place each night) and the wine impeccable. It was a little chilly out and not only did they bring us our own heater, but the manager came and wrapped a pashmina around me to use while I was sitting there. I loved it so much that I bought one from him!

The only negative thing I can say is that although it's a very nice place, you still need to keep an eye on your things!
You tend to get a bit relaxed - everyone here looks like they stepped out of a J Crew catalog and everyone is nice and there to enjoy themselves. However, we did have one incident where we were laying by the main pool and the young bartender was feeding us free drinks. Who am I to complain - this place isn't cheap, so if you want to load us up with free drinks...ok. Though, I think we MAY have been taken. At one point we noticed the bartender talking to some guy that appeared to be a local - definitely not a guest a the hotel. You need your room key to access the pool and he did come in when a guest was leaving. We were enjoying ourselves and our bag was a few feet away. Two of us grabbed what we though was all of our things and headed back to the room while the other two hung out by the hot tub. Long story short, someone stole our bag.
So, I would just keep an eye on your things. I'm hoping this was just an isolated instance and it shouldn't deter anyone from staying here - the place is great!
I will definitely return!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Solage Calistoga? Share your experiences!