“Romantic, Relaxing, Exquisite” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Romantic, Relaxing, Exquisite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

It was difficult for me to write this review because I couldn't quite find the words - I mean, there are only so many ways you can call something incredible or perfect or mind-blowingly amazing - the Calistoga Ranch experience being all of these things. From check in to check out, every person I met at the resort delivered five star service that was genuine, attentive, and unobtrusive.

After being offered a glass of wine while checking in, I was shuttled via golf cart to my room, which was actually a private two-room cabin style lodging that is the very definition of glamping - casual but elegant, and tucked away into the quiet solitude of nature. My room had an L-shaped deck with a private hot tub to the left, and an outdoor living area to the right, complete with indoor/outdoor fireplace and dining area if you prefer eating outside. Walking into the double doors on the left took me into the bedroom and bathroom where I discovered the first surprise - an outdoor rainfall shower! That's in addition to the indoor shower, by the way. So yes, you can expect next level luxury here, even in the great outdoors. The other half of the cabin was a living room area where I found a plate of snacks and bottle of house chardonnay waiting for me (so thoughtful!)

If you can tear yourself away from the comforts of your room, there is plenty to be enjoyed on property: bocce courts, hiking trails, winemaking classes, art classes, outdoor yoga, and locavore food tours. And come on, it's Napa, so hopefully you're drinking wine all day every day! The Lakehouse restaurant, located next to Lake Lommel, is a great place to grab dinner in the evenings and is exclusive to guests of Calistoga Ranch. I've heard that the resort also provides loaner bikes and Benzs' (!!!) for its guests but didn't have the chance to try them because I was too busy enjoying the room.

I loved my stay here and would go back in a heartbeat. A big thank you to the GM and staff for making it such a beautiful and memorable experience!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear julie u,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at Calistoga Ranch with us! I am thrilled that you were able to enjoy all that we have to offer, especially the genuine hospitality our team is so wonderful at providing.

We look forward to the time when we welcome you back to the resort!

Coni Thornburg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I had a last minute trip to northern CA, so I checked into Calistoga Ranch for the weekend. Everything was perfect, from the incredible hospitality upon arrival, including a sample of their wine, to the quick tour of the property. The rooms are incredibly comfortable and sitting in the outdoor living room with hot tub makes you want to cancel everything else planned for the visit.
I did have a late dinner at the lake house, and the service and food were perfect. On another note, their pool is one of the most relaxing places I have experienced. Cannot wait to return!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Colovin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Calistoga Ranch with us. I am thrilled you liked your lodge and hot tub, the restaurant, our beautiful pool, and especially the hospitality our team provided to you. We look forward to welcoming you back time and again!

Calistoga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Very cozy lodge in a wonderful bush.
Everything was well maintained and clean.
The outdoor veranda and shower were very nice.
Negative aspect: too much waiting for breakfast food and overall price beyond expectations.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear David M,

Thank you for being our guest at Calistoga Ranch. I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the coziness of your lodge and your outdoor shower, and I do apologize the wait time at our restaurant fell short of your expectations.

I am very thankful for your feedback and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Waltham, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed an amazing, relaxing stay 10 years ago, and returned recently for our 20th anniversay. Calistoga Ranch did not disappoint! The setting, our room, the staff, the service...all exceeded our expectations:

* We had a 1 BR suite with Calistoga's "unique" detached bedroom/living room setup. While quirky, it worked great for us. The room is appointed with first-class furnishings, the bathroom is great, and the outdoor shower was the highlight! The rooms are very private, and we love the outdoor vibe and the spread-out nature of the resort.

* A couple of emails to Gloria and we had an exceptional itinerary setup for dinners and winery visits. Gloria takes care to select special places for each, and was happy to adjust to fit our needs. We couldn't have enjoyed this lineup more.

* We were going to skip dinner at the Lakehouse this time, but changed our minds at the last minute and were glad we did. The food and service were outstanding, and Steve (the bartender) kept us entertained (and well lubricated) again this time. It was perfect to walk home after a fine evening of eating and drinking.

* We spent a couple of days hanging out at the pool. It's a small pool by resort standards, but the setting is beautiful and the pool service very attentive.

* We even enjoyed tooling around in 2 convertible Mercedes, compliments of the loaner program at the Ranch!

Two great visits down...we're hoping to get back for our 21st! Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: The standard room is very small but very luxurious. We got a free upgrade, but I would be very happy...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Todd C,

Happy Anniversary! Thank you for choosing to spend your special milestones at Calistoga Ranch. I am thrilled you are such fans of The Ranch, and glad you were able to enjoy the hospitality that both Gloria and Steve provide so well. Thank you for the wonderful compliments and we hope to welcome you back year after year!

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

This 5 star resort was an incredible experience.
Service and seclusion are the words…Getting away from it all is definitely found here. From the moment we drove up the driveway a property rep courteously guided our “landing” and greeted us. David greeted us, opened the doors and stayed with us through check in until we were in our “room”. The unit we had was actually two seperate rooms with an outside living area that incorporates a perfect sitting area and hot tub outside and fireplace. If you want to get out and about you can drive one of the modern Mercedes Benz vehicles they have waiting for you to explore the Wine Country! Free of charge.

We were delayed in our arrival so Heath checked us in and we were in a rush to get to the Spa. He accommodated us and made sure we had a quick check in. All the while providing a glass of delicious Chardonnay. Ahhh, to be in the wine country…. He even took a moment to introduce the front desk staff to make sure we knew that they were ready to accommodate us with any request. My wife and I are massage regulars 2-3 times a month with therapists near our home. And travel throughout the west coast to Spa’s. Camelback Marriott in Scottsdale is one of our favorites. After our massage experience in the Spa at Calistoga Ranch, my wife and I declared it was the most amazing massage ever and a couple that completed their massage at the same time declared the same words at the same time! And we all had different therapists! The Spa is a great escape!

The restaurant was quiet, unique and personable. Food was amazing!! The staff makes you feel like family. Family that waits on you..... Sitting on a deck overlooking a lake and into the Calistoga Valley is quite a soothing experience at the end of the day. Kyle helped us navigate the menu and the entire experience. He helped pair the wine because I'm not adept at that genre. Amazing choices he made on our behalf! It truly topped the end of the day for us. We continued another day at Solage Inn and Spa. http://www.solagecalistoga.com/spa/ the next day. Another Auberge Resort Property. That was not as private, but if you choose to stay the “ The Ranch” an extra day,.... you will not be disappointed! It definitely provides 5 Star service, seclusion and solace to your experience!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear RVFDBC,
Thank you so much for the wonderful TripAdvisor Review! I am thrilled you enjoyed your time with us, and glad you enjoyed our Front Desk Team, the room layout, the restaurant and especially the Auberge Spa. I will surely pass along your compliments to my team.

I hope to welcome you back again soon!

Palo Alto, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I wanted to have "Napa's hidden gem" experience that everyone else is experiencing, please. We booked CR for my husband's birthday. Noted it at time I made our dinner reservation (concierge sends you a link) and nary an acknowledgement from the hotel or the restaurant. Second night, we asked for silverware to be delivered to our room, not fulfilled. However, we did ask for housekeeping. They came through on that one request, yay! I would also like to mention that upon arrival, the valet staff informed the desk that we were inbound. Though there were two desk agents, we stood in the lobby for a while before anyone acknowledged we had arrived, as the female agent was engaged with other guests. The concierge, when not talking loudly on the phone (atmosphere, anyone?), had other things to do besides greet arriving guests. The man who finally checked us in made it a point to upsell us on the room that we had already selected online. This was our warm arrival..thanks? I asked him to reconfirm our dinner reservation. More waiting as he phoned the restaurant, who stated they would have to call back since they were busy. Only later did he find written dinner confirmation in our reservation folder. This is all very amateur hour as far as I'm concerned, with lots of time spent standing around (mostly thinking about how varied everyone's travel experiences are and if I had more patience, I could somehow find it in my heart to write yet another raving review for this resort). Anyway, this is an Auberge property, no? I did find the female at the desk more personable, as she later offered me a cool towel, something her colleague could have done had he not been concerned with booking us in a more costly room category. I'm sorry, but I find this practice in poor taste at this price point. And please know, I would never hesitate to ask for a larger room should the need arise. So now that I've mentioned the worst, I don't have the energy to expand on the good: Shane?, who drove us to our room, gave us a very warm welcome. Finally, someone who excels at their job. Dinner and breakfast service was timely and lovely. As was pool-side service. The glorious outdoor shower alone might persuade me to return (but my husband nixes that idea based on the soft?/lumpy?/uncomfortable mattress and pillows). Albeit, I would favor larger/courser salt crystals in the bath. I know, cry me a river. So to backtrack, if you can somehow avoid the front desk, you should be fine staying here. Or hopefully, the female agent will be free to help when you arrive. She seemed to actually like, or at least pretend to like, her job. Of course, upon checkout when I noted that my husband's birthday had fallen the wayside, I received a rather robotic and bland apology. I will concede that at the very least, the gentleman did ask how our stay was. As if this is somehow raising the bar, but actually, some hotels in this category surprisingly fail to do so, as if it's your job to inform them as to how they've disappointed you. ;) Or perhaps the question posed was more to avoid awkward checkout silence rather than any genuine concern/follow-up for our experience. And yes we are local, but no, we shall not return. My consolation will be the decadent selection of other hotels in Napa/Sonoma to sample.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear 24Palo,

Thank you for being our guest and for the detailed description of your stay with us. This is not the typical experience at The Ranch, and I am so sorry that we fell short of your expectations. I would love the opportunity to speak with you in person to gather additional information and someday welcome you back and create a wonderful stay for you.

Calistoga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We went there for our anniversary and felt totally pampered and relaxed. The Lakehouse is one of the best restaurants in the area, but is usually reserved only for guests and owners. The rooms are very private and romantic. We won't stay anywhere else in the Napa Valley. It is pretty expensive, but worth it!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Manuel D,

Thank you for being our guest at Calistoga Ranch and for the wonderful review of your time with us. We are so happy you chose to spend your Anniversary here and we thank you for your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you back for many Anniversaries to come!

Coni Thornburg

Been to Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!