“Doesn't get better than this” 5 of 5 stars

Calistoga Escape
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Calistoga
GreenLeadersGold level
walnut creek, ca
“Doesn't get better than this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is the type of resort you don't want to ever leave. The level of customer service is above and beyond what you might expect. The amenities are great. The bed is the most comfortable one I've ever slept on. The wine reception on Friday was lovely. Most of all, this place is absolutely beautiful and peaceful. It's impossible to feel sad here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear islandfix,
Sounds like you had a Ranch Fix! We are so thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful time with us and that you didn't want to leave. That is exactly what we like to hear from our guests, and often times the only sadness during a stay is at the front office during check-out. Our staff strives to provide a memorable and unique experience for each and every guest that comes to "retreat" with us and we all love the opportunity to provide that. We will look forward to your next visit and thank you again for telling us about your stay.

332 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I took our first trip to Napa and spent four days at the Calistoga Ranch. There's much to do in Napa and Sonoma, but frankly we could have stayed at Calistoga Ranch the entire trip and been very happy.

To begin, the staff is incredibly gracious and the service is exceptional. In addition to the NYT at my door, newspapers of our choosing were provided via iPad. Wine, chocolates, nuts and fruit were left, and any request we had was addressed quickly.

The location is beautiful. The lodges are situated up a canyon with ancient oaks, serene vistas, hike paths (two -- one easier than the other but both nice but not overly difficult hikes). The lodges -- each beautifully appointed with fine linens, very comfortable beds, outdoor decks with gas fireplaces and a luxurious and beautiful baths -- are all situated for privacy. We had an outdoor shower and we loved it.

But we didn't spend all our time in the room. We had breakfast on site each day -- wonderful -- and dinner once, which was an exceptional meal in which the chef accommodated my food intolerances. My husband enjoyed the gym (inside and outdoors) and I visited the spa -- fabulous. I had two treatments, including a therapeutic mud bath in an open air (but private) tub. All spa employees were wonderful, going above and beyond. For example, I admired some of the stone/slate/granite building materials in the spa, and Julie E. researched the name of the materials and emailed them to me after our visit.

Did I mention the Mercedes that were available on a first-come, first-served basis for our use? We took a convertible each day as we explored the local towns --pretty fun. Made our drive back to SFO in the rented Jeep a little bit of a let-down, but oh well.

Finally, I have to say it was a great mix of high end resort and normal, approachable people with the best of California wellness in mind. Fabulous, but not snobby.

Room Tip: Get a lodge with an outdoor shower, and spend as much time in the spa as you can!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Diana H.
What a truly lovely review, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am thrilled that you enjoyed all the wonderful aspects of the Ranch and that you took advantage of the luxury of our Bathhouse Spa. We have the most wonderful staff who take their job of creating memories very serious. I am happy to hear that you took advantage of our hiking trails which offer such an amazing view of the valley, especially our newest one. The fitness center overlooking the vineyard would be motivation for anyone. Zipping around the valley in one of our Mercedes is a fun adventure. I am glad that Julie was able to get that information to you, the furnishings in the spa are simply exquisite and I hope that was helpful. Thank you again for taking the time to write about your stay and we will look very forward to your next visit to the Ranch.
Salinas, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I decided to spend our 15 year wedding anniversary in the Napa area. From the time we arrived at the Ranch to the time we left we were constantly greeted with "happy anniversary " . The grounds are beautiful and the accommodations were over the top. We were in a two bedroom ...I felt guilty that we didn't have our kids to occupy and enjoy the entire place.
The concierge was able to help us plan a day of wine tasting and picnic lunch..
We were able to take in spa treatments. It's a lovely, understated spa that has five star professionalism. I wish we were able to spend more time at the spa.

I would have given this resort a 5 star but the in room dining food (not the service) was a little lackluster. Presentation was beautiful, but food lacked its own individuality.

Great place! We'd definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Nikki C.,
Thank you for taking the time to share your special Anniversary experience with us. I am so thrilled that you enjoyed your time at the Ranch and that you were able to take advantage of our amazing world renowned Bathhouse Spa. I would be interested to speak to you more about your room service experience, so please do not hesitate to contact my office directly at 707-254-2800. Your feedback and impressions are very important to us. Thank you again and we will look forward to your next visit with us.
san jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I decided to spend a night at Calistoga Ranch rather than exchange Christmas gifts. What a great decision that turned out to be!

Due to the large scale renovation the resort was/is undergoing, we were surprised with an amazing upgrade....the largest accommodations at the Ranch. Two bedrooms, full kitchen, living room, private hot tub all surrounding an outdoor living room. It was truly decadent!

We enjoyed our hike to the top of the mountain with beautiful views. Dinner and breakfast the following morning at the restaurant were delicious, expensive, but delicious. The service throughout was perfect. doubt we'll ever receive the lucky upgrade again, but I'd definitely stay here again and have recommended it to all our friends.

Room Tip: Go on the hike as the views are worth it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Robina1963,
Christmas in January, we love it! That is a great idea for a very special package that would enable loved ones to give the gift of the Ranch for the holidays. I am absolutely delighted that you chose our resort for your exclusive getaway and I am so happy that the experience was so phenomenal for you. It is lovely that you were able to experience our 2-bedroom Meadow Lodge, it is such an amazingly luxurious setting that it is sometimes difficult for our guest to find any reason to leave. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and I look forward to meeting you on your next trip to the Ranch.
Coni Thornburg
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Perfect getaway retreat! Had our wedding here, originally had the lawn, but unfortunately, we lost the lawn and were able to be moved to the lake hose, which was great! Food was excellent, staff was soooo accommodating! They let you take out their Mercedes Benz as a courtesy vehicle notepad of your own vehicle, we chose top down of course since the weather was perfect! Grounds were spectacular!!!!!!

Now, for the rooms, just absolutely amazing!! We had the bay Forest lodge, we were a little skeptical at first, but my jaw dropped as I reached the top of the steps! Breathtaking! There was a hot tub attached to our deck, outdoor living/patio, which was great for our wedding guests, indoor living room was very spacious and inviting, and accommodating for our needs. The bedroom was sexy, and so was the bathroom. Let me clarify, b/c it's not clearly stated on the website, there is outdoor and indoor showers. This place is amazing and we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We loved the bay forest lodge, if possible, request the ones by the lake house
Dear Paolo U.,
I am so thrilled to read your review and hear that your very special occasion was so memorable. The Ranch is full of scenic settings that lend themselves to an unforgettable experience, so I am delighted that the Lakehouse provided a gorgeous backdrop for your wedding. I am happy to hear that you were well take care of by the staff and that you were so enamored by our very unique lodges and they are very romantic. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful review with us and we hope to see you back for each and every one of your anniversary celebrations.
Warmly,
Mill Valley, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were celebrating a special birthday and a special anniversary and could not have chosen a more idyllic spot. Everything was so well thought-out, every service so impeccable. But nothing compared with the staff--the best ever, anywhere! What a dream resort! Thank you for giving us an unforgettable experience

Room Tip: Loved the lake area cottages
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dianne H.,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. We are so glad that we helped to make your special celebration memorable. I agree that our staff is the best in the industry. They are truly committed and passionate about our guests and to providing an unforgettable experience. We will look forward to your next visit with us at the Ranch.
Warmly,
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

What is not to love about individual cabins tucked quietly away in the Mayacamas?

In the interest of transparency, my husband and I were married at Calistoga Ranch, so I am a bit biased. Also in the interest of transparency, I am a graduate student and my husband is a chef (i.e. our income is limited); staying at Calistoga Ranch was an incredible treat, one that we will not forget.

First, getting to the ranch is fairly easy. Once you're in the valley, just take either the Silverado Trail going North (this is the easiest way), or traverse the ever lovely highway 29 and hop over through Calistoga to Silverado Trail. Either way, the scenery is beautiful and there are more than enough "attractions" (vineyards) to keep you occupied until you reach your destination.

The Grounds: Stunning
There's a small vineyard on property, huge rocks covered in picture-perfect moss, large trees, a dry creek bed- you are truly in nature. The staff will valet your vehicle and cart you to your residence for your stay. There are spectacular open-spaces at check-in, and the cabins are spaced far enough apart that you feel secluded yet connected. The nature trails are also beautiful- great places for panorama photos.

The Staff: Professional
Courteous, accommodating, bend-over backward, wonderful staff. When you choose to stay at resorts like Auberge, you have the luxury of being treated as if you are the most important guest on the property. The staff were knowledgeable about the area and more than willing to assist you with any needs outside of the resort like transportation, reservations at restaurants or vineyards, reservations at Solage (their sister resort), etc. They were also unobtrusive, which is really important to my husband and myself. We travel to Napa fairly frequently, and we've stayed at a number of different hotels/B&Bs in the area. One B&B in particular had what I lovingly call helicopter owners: always checking in, asking to make reservations, offering services, talking to you constantly, etc. If you want a relaxing vacation with appropriately involved staff, this is the location for you. You seek them out, they assist. Otherwise, they are content with letting you take in the surroundings at your leisure.

The Cabin: Exquisite
We had a smaller cabin complete with an outdoor fireplace and patio as well as an outdoor shower. The room itself was pretty much all bed- not a problem for my husband and myself, but it was a little cramped when my sister, mother, the stylist, the photographer and I were all in the same space trying to prepare for the ceremony. The bed was undeniably comfortable, the minibar was just fabulous, and the availability of technology was appreciated (even though we didn't use it). The indoor spa/shower was stylish but not as spectacular as the outdoor shower. It should be mentioned that there is limited space for belongings. Granted, I had my wedding dress with me, my carry-on, my sister's bag, and my own luggage one night, and the same amount of things the following day. We found room, but if you are a heavy packer that you may have to be creative about the placement of your belongings in one of the smaller cabins.

The Facilities:
The pool is a pool. If you have small children (which I don't really recommend bringing to a hotel like this), the pool is really the only thing that will occupy them other than possibly the bocce court or the nature trails. Otherwise the noticeable lack of children was pretty great (Before you get mad at that statement, remember my husband and I were on our "honeymoon" and interested in adult time. Not having children on the property, or not being able to hear them, was really a pleasure for us.). It is truly hard to believe this place used to be a trailer park- there is nothing that speaks to the resort's former iteration. The patio where we were married was appropriately decked in natural materials (stone, cedar) as was the restaurant. It was nice being in a place that focused much of the decorating energy on both luxury and sustainability. Everywhere we looked there were eco-friendly building materials; even the spa services paid particular attention to sustainable products/practices. We did not use the spa at the Ranch (my husband had the chance to go to Solage- yeah, make that a stop when you're in Napa, if not solely for the Michelin Star food), but I'm sure the facilities were of the same ilk as everything we did encounter.

Drawbacks: Really, not much
Cost is a drawback for those who don't have $600 + (minimum) to spend on accommodations in CA. The Valley is expensive as it is, and those who travel there I'm sure expect to throw down some cash. We had some extra spending money as I worked as a wine buyer at the time, so our tours/tastings were free. Those who don't have that luxury: this isn't the most reasonably priced resort in Napa, but the money is well spent. The cost is the reason for my "Very Good" rating vs. an "Excellent" rating.

Another drawback would be...nope, can't think of one. We really did have an exceptional time.

Overall, if you have the capital to invest in this resort you will not be disappointed. Take the opportunity to treat yourself and your partner- I guarantee it will be a memorable experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Rdfglaza,
Wow! What an amazing review, thank you so much for taking the time to recount your experience and all the wonderful details as observed by you. We are so happy that your stay with us was so memorable and that you celebrated such a special part of your lives with us. We enjoyed reading all your great advice to our future guests. One thing I did want to mention is that we do get many families with us, especially during the school breaks, and we have a whole host of activities and fun to keep them all busy, active and engaged while with us. Please do connect with us on Facebook so that you can keep up on all the wonderful things that will be happening in the future at the Ranch. We are so thrilled that your experience with us was so unforgettable and we will look forward to you visiting us again, hopefully for your one year anniversary celebration.
Coni Thornburg, General Manager

Been to Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!