“Christmas in January” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
san jose
“Christmas in January”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I decided to spend a night at Calistoga Ranch rather than exchange Christmas gifts. What a great decision that turned out to be!

Due to the large scale renovation the resort was/is undergoing, we were surprised with an amazing upgrade....the largest accommodations at the Ranch. Two bedrooms, full kitchen, living room, private hot tub all surrounding an outdoor living room. It was truly decadent!

We enjoyed our hike to the top of the mountain with beautiful views. Dinner and breakfast the following morning at the restaurant were delicious, expensive, but delicious. The service throughout was perfect. doubt we'll ever receive the lucky upgrade again, but I'd definitely stay here again and have recommended it to all our friends.

Room Tip: Go on the hike as the views are worth it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Robina1963,
Christmas in January, we love it! That is a great idea for a very special package that would enable loved ones to give the gift of the Ranch for the holidays. I am absolutely delighted that you chose our resort for your exclusive getaway and I am so happy that the experience was so phenomenal for you. It is lovely that you were able to experience our 2-bedroom Meadow Lodge, it is such an amazingly luxurious setting that it is sometimes difficult for our guest to find any reason to leave. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and I look forward to meeting you on your next trip to the Ranch.
Warm wishes,
Coni Thornburg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Perfect getaway retreat! Had our wedding here, originally had the lawn, but unfortunately, we lost the lawn and were able to be moved to the lake hose, which was great! Food was excellent, staff was soooo accommodating! They let you take out their Mercedes Benz as a courtesy vehicle notepad of your own vehicle, we chose top down of course since the weather was perfect! Grounds were spectacular!!!!!!

Now, for the rooms, just absolutely amazing!! We had the bay Forest lodge, we were a little skeptical at first, but my jaw dropped as I reached the top of the steps! Breathtaking! There was a hot tub attached to our deck, outdoor living/patio, which was great for our wedding guests, indoor living room was very spacious and inviting, and accommodating for our needs. The bedroom was sexy, and so was the bathroom. Let me clarify, b/c it's not clearly stated on the website, there is outdoor and indoor showers. This place is amazing and we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We loved the bay forest lodge, if possible, request the ones by the lake house
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Paolo U.,
I am so thrilled to read your review and hear that your very special occasion was so memorable. The Ranch is full of scenic settings that lend themselves to an unforgettable experience, so I am delighted that the Lakehouse provided a gorgeous backdrop for your wedding. I am happy to hear that you were well take care of by the staff and that you were so enamored by our very unique lodges and they are very romantic. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful review with us and we hope to see you back for each and every one of your anniversary celebrations.
Mill Valley, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were celebrating a special birthday and a special anniversary and could not have chosen a more idyllic spot. Everything was so well thought-out, every service so impeccable. But nothing compared with the staff--the best ever, anywhere! What a dream resort! Thank you for giving us an unforgettable experience

Room Tip: Loved the lake area cottages
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dianne H.,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. We are so glad that we helped to make your special celebration memorable. I agree that our staff is the best in the industry. They are truly committed and passionate about our guests and to providing an unforgettable experience. We will look forward to your next visit with us at the Ranch.
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

What is not to love about individual cabins tucked quietly away in the Mayacamas?

In the interest of transparency, my husband and I were married at Calistoga Ranch, so I am a bit biased. Also in the interest of transparency, I am a graduate student and my husband is a chef (i.e. our income is limited); staying at Calistoga Ranch was an incredible treat, one that we will not forget.

First, getting to the ranch is fairly easy. Once you're in the valley, just take either the Silverado Trail going North (this is the easiest way), or traverse the ever lovely highway 29 and hop over through Calistoga to Silverado Trail. Either way, the scenery is beautiful and there are more than enough "attractions" (vineyards) to keep you occupied until you reach your destination.

The Grounds: Stunning
There's a small vineyard on property, huge rocks covered in picture-perfect moss, large trees, a dry creek bed- you are truly in nature. The staff will valet your vehicle and cart you to your residence for your stay. There are spectacular open-spaces at check-in, and the cabins are spaced far enough apart that you feel secluded yet connected. The nature trails are also beautiful- great places for panorama photos.

The Staff: Professional
Courteous, accommodating, bend-over backward, wonderful staff. When you choose to stay at resorts like Auberge, you have the luxury of being treated as if you are the most important guest on the property. The staff were knowledgeable about the area and more than willing to assist you with any needs outside of the resort like transportation, reservations at restaurants or vineyards, reservations at Solage (their sister resort), etc. They were also unobtrusive, which is really important to my husband and myself. We travel to Napa fairly frequently, and we've stayed at a number of different hotels/B&Bs in the area. One B&B in particular had what I lovingly call helicopter owners: always checking in, asking to make reservations, offering services, talking to you constantly, etc. If you want a relaxing vacation with appropriately involved staff, this is the location for you. You seek them out, they assist. Otherwise, they are content with letting you take in the surroundings at your leisure.

The Cabin: Exquisite
We had a smaller cabin complete with an outdoor fireplace and patio as well as an outdoor shower. The room itself was pretty much all bed- not a problem for my husband and myself, but it was a little cramped when my sister, mother, the stylist, the photographer and I were all in the same space trying to prepare for the ceremony. The bed was undeniably comfortable, the minibar was just fabulous, and the availability of technology was appreciated (even though we didn't use it). The indoor spa/shower was stylish but not as spectacular as the outdoor shower. It should be mentioned that there is limited space for belongings. Granted, I had my wedding dress with me, my carry-on, my sister's bag, and my own luggage one night, and the same amount of things the following day. We found room, but if you are a heavy packer that you may have to be creative about the placement of your belongings in one of the smaller cabins.

The Facilities:
The pool is a pool. If you have small children (which I don't really recommend bringing to a hotel like this), the pool is really the only thing that will occupy them other than possibly the bocce court or the nature trails. Otherwise the noticeable lack of children was pretty great (Before you get mad at that statement, remember my husband and I were on our "honeymoon" and interested in adult time. Not having children on the property, or not being able to hear them, was really a pleasure for us.). It is truly hard to believe this place used to be a trailer park- there is nothing that speaks to the resort's former iteration. The patio where we were married was appropriately decked in natural materials (stone, cedar) as was the restaurant. It was nice being in a place that focused much of the decorating energy on both luxury and sustainability. Everywhere we looked there were eco-friendly building materials; even the spa services paid particular attention to sustainable products/practices. We did not use the spa at the Ranch (my husband had the chance to go to Solage- yeah, make that a stop when you're in Napa, if not solely for the Michelin Star food), but I'm sure the facilities were of the same ilk as everything we did encounter.

Drawbacks: Really, not much
Cost is a drawback for those who don't have $600 + (minimum) to spend on accommodations in CA. The Valley is expensive as it is, and those who travel there I'm sure expect to throw down some cash. We had some extra spending money as I worked as a wine buyer at the time, so our tours/tastings were free. Those who don't have that luxury: this isn't the most reasonably priced resort in Napa, but the money is well spent. The cost is the reason for my "Very Good" rating vs. an "Excellent" rating.

Another drawback would be...nope, can't think of one. We really did have an exceptional time.

Overall, if you have the capital to invest in this resort you will not be disappointed. Take the opportunity to treat yourself and your partner- I guarantee it will be a memorable experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Rdfglaza,
Wow! What an amazing review, thank you so much for taking the time to recount your experience and all the wonderful details as observed by you. We are so happy that your stay with us was so memorable and that you celebrated such a special part of your lives with us. We enjoyed reading all your great advice to our future guests. One thing I did want to mention is that we do get many families with us, especially during the school breaks, and we have a whole host of activities and fun to keep them all busy, active and engaged while with us. Please do connect with us on Facebook so that you can keep up on all the wonderful things that will be happening in the future at the Ranch. We are so thrilled that your experience with us was so unforgettable and we will look forward to you visiting us again, hopefully for your one year anniversary celebration.
Warm wishes,
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful five day stay at Calistoga Ranch. The staff was extremely attentive and the concierge, Gloria, took care of all of our off-property events. Nearly every recommendation she made was flawless. Whether it was room service, or one of the resort's restaurants, the food was amazing at every meal. The wine library was extensive and diverse. Our room was nestled within the landscape, and we would watch deer graze just off our deck each day. We definitely felt secluded even though we were still in the heart of wine country. The spacious rooms are divided between the bedroom and living room, so you truly have two separate spaces (as well as a great outdoor shower and a fireplace). The outdoor jacuzzi was perfect for relaxing in the early morning and late evening. Even though the spa was under a full renovation, the temporary space still allowed my wife to have one of the best spa experiences of the past few years (right up there with the Four Seasons Hualalai and the Peninsula NYC). The Mercedes-Benz partnership with Aberge allowed us to take out a great convertible on multiple occasions, making the afternoon drives even better. My only complaint is that my cell reception was awful from most anywhere on the property, so it made conducting business a bit difficult at times (but as my wife reminded me, maybe it wasn't such a bad thing to be forced to "unplug" at one of the most relaxing resorts in North America). If you are headed to wine country, are looking for world-class rustic luxury and don't mind be a bit further outside of St. Helena/Napa/Yountville, by all means stay at Calistoga Ranch. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear RBN-LDN,
We enjoyed reading about your stay at Calistoga Ranch, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We will pass your accolades on to Gloria who is one of our "crown jewels" at the Ranch, thank you for mentioning her in your note. Recently we have made very large strides with significant technology upgrades and we will continue to work with the various cell providers and share all feedback. I would be delighted to speak to you directly to get more specific information about your experience, please feel free to call us anytime at 707-254-2800.
Once again, thank you for your review and we will look forward to your next visit!
Warm regards,
La Jolla, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This property way exceeded our expectations, and is well located as a jumping off point to the excellent wineries along the Silverado Trail. It all started before the trip when the concierge, Greg Haas, helped us set up all of our wine tasting transportation and most of our tasting room visits. Greg quickly figured out our tastes, budget and preferences, and just nailed our entire stay. Virtually all of our tastings were done in a private setting, which we were happy to pay for. Greg it totally wired into Napa, and people speak highly of him throughout the valley. He is a critical success factor in an overall amazing property. We just wish we were there during warmer weather, and when we had more time to enjoy the property, as the spa and pool amenities are wonderful. Our room was very private, and after long days of wine tasting, we decided to dine in for each dinner and breakfast. Room service was prompt, accurate and of excellent quality. The only problem we had is that the fire alarm in our bedroom malfunctioned the second night resulting in an annoying “beeping” from the sensor in the ceiling, and it could not be fixed over the weekend. The hotel graciously moved us to another much larger room and could not have dealt with the problem better.

Room Tip: Try to get a room deeper into the canyon of the property.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Mr. Marino,
We are so happy that you took the time to share your experience with us. We have to agree that the upper valley is a great starting point for the full Napa Valley Experience, especially from the serene gates of the Ranch. Greg is so very good at what he does and that ability to connect with our guests and customize their adventure to fit their expectation. He never fails to anticipate and surprise! I am delighted to hear that you were accommodated in another lodge and that you felt all your needs were met. We will look forward to your next visit.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

What a wonderful first time experience at Calistoga Ranch! We stayed in a deluxe lodge and it was absolutely perfect for a couple. We arrived to our room where a bottle of Calistoga Ranch Cabernet was waiting for us in the living area, along with a hand-written welcome note. WOW! This lodge would also be suitable for entertaining up to 4 additional people, as it comes with an indoor and outdoor living area, a kitchenette, and additional bathroom. The bed and linens were top quality; Frette, I believe, and the bathroom is equipped with two spacious vanities and a bath in between. The outdoor shower placed strategically so that you catch the morning sun is the best! The pool is absolutely beautiful and so relaxing! I loved the open air fitness studio and the outdoor yoga/observation deck overlooking the property. We had breakfast on site at the pool restaurant and it was so beautiful sitting there having coffee in the morning sun by the pool. My best advice for anyone wanting to stay at Calistoga Ranch is to book early! Once you are checked in, don't leave until you are checked out unless it's to go for a vineyard drive in one of the Mercedes-Benz provided. This is a top rate property and you won't want to miss a moment of it. Drink the wine, be in nature, relax, and ENJOY!

Many years before I stayed at Calistoga Ranch I dreamed about staying there and would go on the website at least once a month! Five years after discovering this amazing property my husband and I decided to have our intimate wedding celebration there in September 2012. We did not visit the property at all before this and so planned the whole celebration from home over the phone and email with Laura, the Events Manager. Laura was so accommodating and a joy to work with. During our two events at the ranch we experienced nothing but excellent service from employees who genuinely cared. The food and drink were top-notch and for the most part everything ran smoothly. The Lommel Lawn and Wine Cave are perfect for intimate events and I highly recommend both spaces - absolutely beautiful and so versatile!

This is an amazing resort (how many times can I say this?) and you will not be disappointed. We are already planning our next visit. Thank you so much Calistoga Ranch!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear lindsaydrew,
We are over the top delighted to read about your stay with us and the beautiful details of your wedding. It is a magical place and we hope that you come back every year to celebrate your anniversary with us. Thank you so much for taking the time to describe the highlights of your experience. We are so fulfilled knowing that we helped make a dream come true. We will look forward to your return. Thank you for making our day!
Coni Thornburg, General Manager

Been to Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!