“Always a perfect weekend getaway.” 5 of 5 stars

Calistoga Escape
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
GreenLeadersGold level
San Anselmo, California, United States
“Always a perfect weekend getaway.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We are very fortunate in that we live a mere hour from Calistoga. This has become our "go to" place when we need a special treat and a weekend to decompress. We have been to Calistoga now four times and the only complaint I can think of is that the alarm clock went off on two occasions at 2 AM. This says absolutely nothing bad about the resort, my point being I can't think of anything else even slightly negative to say about this place. The room is ridiculously comfortable and the fact that the living area and the bedroom are separated by a beautiful outside deck with fireplace really make it special. The staff is delightful and the ground are breathtaking. Sure, this kind of perfection comes with a high price tag but we have never once regretted spending our money on this experience. When we are lounging by the pool it absolutely looks and feels like you are in Tuscany. I can not wait for spring to come so that we can escape again to Calistoga.

Room Tip: Nice to have a room right in between the pool and the restaurant.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear HWY_71,

This is one of my favorite reviews. We love that you come to us for your relaxing weekend getaways! I hope that each and every time you visit us it is new and wonderful experience. Ours is a unique setting allowing every visitor from near and far to spend time in our luxurious bit of paradise. I do thank you for your feedback on the clock as part of our very thorough room inspection is to check the alarm setting.

We look forward to your spring visit and we are so happy you have chosen to make us your home away from home. Thank you for taking the time to share the highlights of your stay with us.

Coni Thornburg, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed here while attending a friend's wedding in Napa, and my experience was so wonderful. The staff is so cheerful, friendly, and accommodating. I wish the normal breakfast place would have been open (closed when I stayed for renovations), but I was not disappointed with the room service or the pool breakfast area. The only odd things were that the bedroom and living room weren't connected and that the porch was pretty exposed to other people walking by. I didn't find it to be problematic, but I could see how it might be for some staying there on a romantic getaway. The outdoor shower was a nice touch, as was the fact that the pool was open 24 hours. If I ever have the money to stay again, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Caty C.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us with the details of your stay. I am always eager to hear about each and every one of our guest's stay. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us. I appreciate your feedback on the patio space of your room. We strive to make sure that each and every one of our lodges maintains a feeling of seclusion, so your comments will assist us in ensuring a serene and private stay for every guest. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience with us and we agree that the outdoor showers are amazing! We will look forward to your return and hope it happens very soon.
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We spent 3 nights in October at this amazing resort in a great location. Definately high end with superior service. We stayed in a one bedroom cottage. All of the cottages are designed for privacy, rarely did I see the other guests. I enjoyed the split living and bedroom concept. Outdoor shower was a real treat. I would definately upgrade to room with hot tub if available. We did do the longer hike on resort property which ended with a beautiful view of the valley. We took advantage of the convertable Mercedes which was fun. Only complaint would be the restaurant on resort. Very exspensive with only marginal quality of food...Breafast in room was very good. Overall this resort was worth the money and we will return. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Not a bad room in this resort.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Ann K,
We appreciate you taking the time to share the details of your stay with us. We are excited that you were able to take advantage of the hiking experience and the Mercedes program, both providing a unique Napa Valley adventure. We are eager to hear more about your experience at our restaurant as your input is very valuable to us. Please do not hesitate to contact my office so that we may discuss it in more detail. It is our commitment that each and every element of the Ranch experience meet the expectations of all our guests. I look forward to speaking to you and welcoming you back very soon.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Experiencing the abundance and culinary delights of Napa Valley through the lens of our accommodations at Calistoga Ranch was truly remarkable in so many ways. Service at the Ranch is truly five star. The staff at the front office are exceptional and catered to our every need, aways with a cheerful demeanor. The design layout of the living spaces was brilliant with suites at either end and the common areas - outdoor and indoor living rooms, kitchen - situated beautifully in the center to service all in our party. As well, the positioning of the lodges themselves vis-a-vie our neighbors was extremely well thought out for maximum privacy.

Costly indeed, however a magical location for sure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear TopangaMalibu,
Thank you so much for your wonderful description of your stay with us. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We are so fortunate to be set in such a remarkable and unique part of the Napa Valley. It is a perfect retreat and all of our staff strive to provide a magical experience for each and every guests that visits us. We are so happy that you chose to stay with us and we will eagerly await your return.
Warm wishes,
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

What a sublime property! We stayed in a two bedroom lodge complete with outdoor living/dining room, indoor kitchen and dining room, indoor fireplace room and 4 bathrooms - lots of space, two beautiful master suites - deep tub, outdoor shower - all details very nicely appointed.
The food was healthy, creative and light. We ordered a dinner for 4 served in our lodge and the wait staff was excellent. Very beautiful surroundings, you know there are other people staying, but you never see or hear them unless you are at reception or the fitness center.
Great private hot tub, nice pool for all - go to the Lakehouse for any meals - fabulous setting with a nice view! Comfortable beds, pillows, fluffy towels - whatever you need, they have it!

Room Tip: Lodges and rooms are tucked away - you do need to walk a lot, but they offer golf cart service to ta...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Daisy095,
Thank you so much for sharing all the wonderful details of your stay with us. We are delighted that your experience exceeded your expectations. We are also happy that your culinary adventure in your lodge was exactly what we envisioned for you. Thank you so much for choosing the Ranch for your getaway and we look forward to your return.
Warm wishes,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

From the time we arrived to the moment we left Calistoga Ranch, it was absolute heaven. Our room was perfect and felt very private. Dinner at the Lake House was incredible and exceeded all expectations. If I were to do this trip again, I wouldn't even leave the property, although the on site Mercedes Benz offered on loan to drive around made our trips through town really fun. The staff there is so well managed and everyone is very respectful of the guests privacy, while also being in tune to their needs. The second I fumbled with my bag, there was someone there to help me. The architecture and layout of the rooms throughout the property really compliments that nature around it. I love this place and I can't wait to get back there.

• Stayed October 2012
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear KaylieandRichard,
We were so over the top to read your review of your experience while staying with us. Your privacy is so very important and it is essential for us to balance this with quietly anticipating your unexpressed wishes and needs. Our staff takes such pride in creating a unique, tranquil and extraordinary stay for each of our guests, we are thrilled to hear about yours. Thank you for taking the time to share your culinary adventure, it is always a memorable time at the Lakehouse. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Lake Oswego, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I like to keep things simple...

The great:
Calistoga Ranch works extremely hard in the service area. I would like to say I've seen a lot of properties try to offer a Four Seasons type service (they are after all, the gold standard) and not pull it off. Well...other than the restaurant service, this group does.

As for the restaurant service (breakfast lunch area), it seemed understaffed and not in-sync like every other part of the property. Was thrown for a loop here several times, but our dinner service was quite excellent -- so I'm hoping this was just a fluke.

The cleaning staff, the little AuBerge touches on daily food/treats, etc was very, very nice. Even the Four Seasons could learn from AuBerge here.

The not-so-great:
The distance between the ranches and breakfast was mind boggling. Although they offer a lift everywhere, most Americans need an extra walk or two and so we agreed. It was just challenging in distance and had it rained, I would not known what to do.

Also, the SPA was down and they had some makeshift SPA that other than for massages, was not really what one was looking for. I can't wait to see their new SPA...I'm guessing this can turn into an A+ -- but unfortunately, the new SPA wasn't ready for our arrival.

Lastly, the food was very below average for $1500 per night. I was quite disappointed. We stayed at AuBerge's other resort - the Soleil, in the area, and it was significantly better. I'm not sure what was going on here...but it was a 4.5/10 for the price/value. 6/10 overall in food...

Conclusion:
I would come back for sure. May not be my first thought since we just went...but its worth a second try for sure. I always anticipate the good/bad with any property regardless of price. I think Calistoga can improve a lot...but I also think it offers a lot.

Great for a romantic weekend. Don't bring your kids. You'll be able to breathe and wind down just perfectly (Just don't eat there for all meals every day!).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Benjamin B.,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share all the details of your stay with us. I am so thrilled that we exceeded your expectations and we value the incredible feedback that you shared with us in regards to your food and beverage and spa experience. I have reviewed the details of your experience with my leadership team and it would be great to speak to you in more detail, so please do not hesitate to contact my Assistant in the Executive Office. We will look forward to welcoming you back soon and we guarantee that our newly renovated Bathhouse Spa will both impress and inspire you. I look forward to speaking to you.
Coni Thornburg, General Manager

Been to Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!