“If you can afford it - go for it!” 5 of 5 stars

Calistoga Escape
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Calistoga
GreenLeadersGold level
Minnesota
“If you can afford it - go for it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

What a sublime property! We stayed in a two bedroom lodge complete with outdoor living/dining room, indoor kitchen and dining room, indoor fireplace room and 4 bathrooms - lots of space, two beautiful master suites - deep tub, outdoor shower - all details very nicely appointed.
The food was healthy, creative and light. We ordered a dinner for 4 served in our lodge and the wait staff was excellent. Very beautiful surroundings, you know there are other people staying, but you never see or hear them unless you are at reception or the fitness center.
Great private hot tub, nice pool for all - go to the Lakehouse for any meals - fabulous setting with a nice view! Comfortable beds, pillows, fluffy towels - whatever you need, they have it!

Room Tip: Lodges and rooms are tucked away - you do need to walk a lot, but they offer golf cart service to ta...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Daisy095,
Thank you so much for sharing all the wonderful details of your stay with us. We are delighted that your experience exceeded your expectations. We are also happy that your culinary adventure in your lodge was exactly what we envisioned for you. Thank you so much for choosing the Ranch for your getaway and we look forward to your return.
Warm wishes,

355 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

From the time we arrived to the moment we left Calistoga Ranch, it was absolute heaven. Our room was perfect and felt very private. Dinner at the Lake House was incredible and exceeded all expectations. If I were to do this trip again, I wouldn't even leave the property, although the on site Mercedes Benz offered on loan to drive around made our trips through town really fun. The staff there is so well managed and everyone is very respectful of the guests privacy, while also being in tune to their needs. The second I fumbled with my bag, there was someone there to help me. The architecture and layout of the rooms throughout the property really compliments that nature around it. I love this place and I can't wait to get back there.

• Stayed October 2012
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear KaylieandRichard,
We were so over the top to read your review of your experience while staying with us. Your privacy is so very important and it is essential for us to balance this with quietly anticipating your unexpressed wishes and needs. Our staff takes such pride in creating a unique, tranquil and extraordinary stay for each of our guests, we are thrilled to hear about yours. Thank you for taking the time to share your culinary adventure, it is always a memorable time at the Lakehouse. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Lake Oswego, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I like to keep things simple...

The great:
Calistoga Ranch works extremely hard in the service area. I would like to say I've seen a lot of properties try to offer a Four Seasons type service (they are after all, the gold standard) and not pull it off. Well...other than the restaurant service, this group does.

As for the restaurant service (breakfast lunch area), it seemed understaffed and not in-sync like every other part of the property. Was thrown for a loop here several times, but our dinner service was quite excellent -- so I'm hoping this was just a fluke.

The cleaning staff, the little AuBerge touches on daily food/treats, etc was very, very nice. Even the Four Seasons could learn from AuBerge here.

The not-so-great:
The distance between the ranches and breakfast was mind boggling. Although they offer a lift everywhere, most Americans need an extra walk or two and so we agreed. It was just challenging in distance and had it rained, I would not known what to do.

Also, the SPA was down and they had some makeshift SPA that other than for massages, was not really what one was looking for. I can't wait to see their new SPA...I'm guessing this can turn into an A+ -- but unfortunately, the new SPA wasn't ready for our arrival.

Lastly, the food was very below average for $1500 per night. I was quite disappointed. We stayed at AuBerge's other resort - the Soleil, in the area, and it was significantly better. I'm not sure what was going on here...but it was a 4.5/10 for the price/value. 6/10 overall in food...

Conclusion:
I would come back for sure. May not be my first thought since we just went...but its worth a second try for sure. I always anticipate the good/bad with any property regardless of price. I think Calistoga can improve a lot...but I also think it offers a lot.

Great for a romantic weekend. Don't bring your kids. You'll be able to breathe and wind down just perfectly (Just don't eat there for all meals every day!).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Benjamin B.,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share all the details of your stay with us. I am so thrilled that we exceeded your expectations and we value the incredible feedback that you shared with us in regards to your food and beverage and spa experience. I have reviewed the details of your experience with my leadership team and it would be great to speak to you in more detail, so please do not hesitate to contact my Assistant in the Executive Office. We will look forward to welcoming you back soon and we guarantee that our newly renovated Bathhouse Spa will both impress and inspire you. I look forward to speaking to you.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed a couple months ago. I was with a few friends we had 3 ranches, we could not have asked for a better setup to spend the weekend in Napa. We dined in the restaurant the bartender was really nice along with the great wine, food, and atmosphere.
My girlfriend and I went to the spa last minute decision, we both got facials the spa was one of the nicer spas that I have been to great products and staff.
Thank you Calistoga ranch for making our getaway weekend perfect.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
nicoleA,
Thank you for sharing a few words about your stay with us. We agree, Steve, our bartender is so wonderful and is truly part of the personality of our Lakehouse and helps in making it a total experience. We are glad that you enjoyed luxurious treatments at the Bathhouse Spa and that your experience exceeded your expectations. We will be very excited to welcome you back very soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Just came back from a wonderful week at Calistoga Ranch. I was concerned about the possibility of construction noise after reading previous reviews. I contacted the hotel, and was assured that all would be well. It was just as lovely as when we stayed there last year. The property is peaceful and beautiful, I couldn't wait to get up in the morning and go turn on the fireplace, read the complimentary newspapers, and order our delicious room service breakfast. Nights in the hot tub, with a glass of wine, gazing at the fireplace and the bright stars above, were sublime. Helpful, outstanding staff as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
ScanJan,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We have taken considerable care to ensure that our enhancements to the top of our property is zoned out very carefully as not to effect our guests during their stay We are excited about the remarkable improvements we are making and that this is not effecting our guests in any way. The serenity of the Ranch remains blissful and continuing to provide a once in a lifetime experience is what we strive to do every day. I appreciate you taking the time to share the details of your stay and we hope to see you back again and again.
Coni Thornburg
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

So, we went up to Napa for our 1st time in August looking for great wine and a chance to relax in luxury. We spent a few nights at Calistoga Ranch and then a few nights at The Carneros Inn (see my review for details on that hotel if you'd like).
We used our Amex Platinum Card and got an early-check in, an upgrade, a late check-out, and breakfast every morning included in the package. What can I say?? The property is stunning and spread out. The resort feels private and "woodsy". It's a bit out-of-the-way for 1st time visitors, but we were fine with that......especially since they have the FREE "take out a Mercedes and go where you need to go" program! We loved that (even if the darn convertible was never available when we went to the desk)!
The villa set-ups are a bit unique with the bedroom and living areas technically in 2 separate buildings (they're connected outside by your patio). I can't say I loved that, but it's very doable. The outdoor shower is HUGE and feels great on the super hot days. The patio had a great hot tub on it (but be warned, it isn't the most private space in the world. The road traveled by most guests is directly in front of your patio and hot tub. That being said, at night the road is pretty quiet and didn't bother us at all). Sipping wine, relaxing your sore muscles in the hot tub while looking at a star-filled sky was a perfect ending to every night! During the day, the patio was very HOT. A private plunge pool option or even some little sprinkles like they have at restaurants in the summer would be delightful!!

The hotel pool area is stunning. We spent a lot of time out there. For some reason, a lot of flies and bees flocked to the pool when we were in-town and I got stung by one that was floating in the pool. But, even the bee sting, couldn't taken away the beauty of the pool. My only complaint is that it is not an adults-only pool. The property is so big and I think could easily fit another "family friendly" pool. We were there to relax and there were plenty of kids who quite simply have no clue what that means (um, let's just say there lots of kids acting out the on-going Olympics in the pool). That was annoying, but not really the hotel's fault.

The service was top-notch! Staff were prompt and extremely professional (quite unlike the other property we stayed at). I really can't speak highly enough about them. We only ate breakfast at the hotel and had some snacks at the pool, so we can't really comment on the restaurant at the hotel. (Breakfast was good though!)

I highly recommend this hotel as a romantic get-away or even for a girls trip. So nice! We will be back.

Room Tip: Get a room with a hot tub on the patio! The rooms further from the registration area are more priva...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Teresa567,
Thank you so much for sharing all the wonderful details of your stay with us. I am only sorry you didn't get the experience of the MB convertible while you were here, it is a popular choice. I would also like to thank you for the comments about the privacy of your lodge. If you feel comfortable discussing your stay in more detail and provide us with your room number, we can check that particular lodge to see if the foliage needs to be restructured. Often times during the fall, they will thin out a bit, however ensuring the privacy of each lodge is one of our highest missions. I am thrilled that your stay exceeded your expectations and we certainly hope to see you back again soon. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Coni Thornburg
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

As a San Francisco local, I've enjoyed Meadow Wood, Solage and most of the other properties in Napa. The Calistoga Ranch is, without a doubt, the best resort in Napa Valley. No question about it.

It's a place to go to get away, relax, enjoy life, etc. It's also a great place to go if you want to spend time with a loved one or even a small group of friends. It's not a big party place (e.g. you can't get really loud, which is appreciated by everyone) but you can entertain outside in the indoor/outdoor living rooms.

The beds are the most comfortable and spacious and elegantly done.

The "ranch" is pure luxury and they have thought of literally EVERY single detail you can imagine...and the staff is very well trained and willing to help out with everything.

Love the welcome glass of wine and that the valet will bring your bags and put them in your room while you enjoy your glass of wine and check out the pool, play a game of bocce, etc. before being whisked to your lodge in a golf-cart.

My biggest issue is that the expensive glass of fresh juice in the mornings comes in the smallest glass possible and they don't bother to refill it. Small detail that got missed I suppose as they work hard to make the experience feel worth the $$$$ that one spends and sometimes little things like this make one question the rest...but even with the questions, I still think it's the best place on earth!

Love this place. Wish I could live here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Wordlyandwise,
Thank you so much for taking time to share your wise words with us! We are over the top that you had such a remarkable stay and that you were able to enjoy all that the Ranch has to offer. We want each and every stay to be a unique and special experience whether for a romantic getaway or a stay with a group of friends. I wanted to especially thank you for your feedback about the morning juice. I am going to take a look at that with my food and beverage team and share your thoughts. We hope to see you with us again very soon and if you are interested in discussing any other suggestions, I would welcome that. Just call into our Executive Office.
Warm wishes,
Coni Thornburg, General Manager

Been to Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!