“Complete relaxation in a beautiful location” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
August Nights Packages
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Sacramento, California
“Complete relaxation in a beautiful location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

My husband and I only stayed for one night at the Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort because we have family in Calistoga. We wanted to enjoy the spa experience and were not disappointed. We had a lovely, very comfortable room with a spa tub. It was very relaxing and we also used the three hot springs pools in the beautiful courtyard. The resort is within walking distance of the market and many wonderful restaurants. It was so romantic and relaxing to have a delicious dinner then a refreshing short walk back to our room where the spa was waiting. We picked up dessert at the market and were able to enjoy it in our room later with a bottle of wine as there was a refrigerator in the room. They also have complimentary gourmet coffee. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Shasta County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

We've been spending our Grown-Ups Only vacations at The Roman Spa in Calistoga for fifteen years. Every time we are there, we meet other couples who are proud to claim: "We've been coming here for 20 years!" "Love this place, we're here every year." The hotel seem to inspire a kind of loyalty that is rare these days.
The grounds are lovely and very well-maintained. You can spend the day going from mineral pool to mineral pool (there are three) and soak up the healing waters and when you've soaked enough, lounge in the dry sauna. The hotel is a short block from the Lincoln Ave -- Calistoga's main street -- where you can enjoy a huge array of restaurants, boutique shopping and outstanding people-watching.
The rooms at the Roman Spa are comfortable, clean and well-appointed. The maid staff works very hard to keep the whole place immaculately clean. First-rate spa services are just across the parking lot at The Baths. I've stayed other places in Napa Valley, but this hotel offers the very best facilities for the price and the location can't be beat.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
santa cruz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

My husband and I wanted to get away for Christmas and were worried about whether or not we would be able to find a nice getaway. The Roman Spa was the perfect choice.

We checked in Christmas eve and were able to book a couples massage. We had a lovely 80 minute massage in their couples room.

We spent Christmas relaxing in the three mineral pools and sauna. The pools are kept at wonderful temperatures. The pool and sauna areas were clean and well-maintained.

We brought some DVDs to watch on my laptop, so we had plenty of things to watch and could avoid the Christmas re-runs on the television. My only complaint might be that there is no wi-fi, but I didn't really miss it and it was great to be "off the grid" for a couple of days. Some of the restaurants in the downtown area, including Miguel's, feature free wi-fi, so if you must work, you can get on-line.

The kingsize bed in our room was perfect. The bedding was very nice...as nice as what we experience in most luxury hotels.

There was warm hot apple cider in the lobby in the afternoon. Free coffee and tea in the morning.

The desk people and the people at the spa were extremely kind and helpful. They phoned around to find out what restaurants were open and seemed to know everyone in town on a first-name basis.

The location was perfect, less than a block away from the downtown area. We didn't drive at all during our stay.

Restaurants we enjoyed during our stay:

Miguel's doesn't sound like a great breakfast choice, but we had one of the best breakfasts there.

We had breakfast at Checkers the day after Christmas and would advise you to avoid it....my french toast was made with oat bran bread...it was dry and tasteless. My husband's omelette was poor and the only sauce they could offer was a white gravy from a mix.

We ate at Barolo's Christmas eve. Service was a bit slow because they were shorthanded due to the holiday. The people at the next table complained that they waited more than an hour for their entrees. I had the cheese plate appetizer and it was wonderful. It featured a fortina, a Point Reyes blue cheese, and a third cheese, as well as fresh honey, candied pecans, and a chutney. It was as nice as any cheese plate I've had at any upscale restaurant or wine bar. The bread was also fresh and warm. The entrees were well prepared. I would not hesitate to return.

On Christmas day, we ate at the Calistoga Inn. The bread was not as good as Barolo's. We asked for wine pairings with our entrees, but our server did not seem as familiar with the wine list as we would have expected. Their wine list is substantial, so without a knowledgeable sommelier one can be at a loss. I ordered duck and it was prepared beautifully. My husband had the eggplant parmagian and pronounced it one of the best he has been served. The wines we selected were adequate, but I am sure we might have made better choices with a sommelier as our guide.

I checked not sure regarding pets below, because when my husband & I were walking through the parking lot we noticed one of the other guests had placed a dog dish next to their vehicle. So, they may have had a small dog with them.

From the outside, the Roman Spa does not appear to be anything special, but the looks are quite deceiving. We were greatly impressed with the staff, the accommodations and the mineral pools.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
sonoma county, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2009

It was a Friday and we had the place to ourselves. There are 2 pools and a Jacuzzi. The outdoor pool was 99 and the indoor jet pool was 102. Perfectly relaxing. The surroundings are just ok; clean enough, but not that attractive. It was a rainy day about 45 degrees but we were fine in the pool outdoors. The massage, by K____, was not good. I told him it was too hard for me and he eased off but then right back to way too much pressure. I mentioned again that it was uncomfortable. At the end when I told him I had to literally "tolerate" the pain, he asked me how long it had been since my last massage (how is that important) and told me I had years of tension built up. Uh! Whatever. I should not have to PAY for a pain inducing treatment. I am in pain today like I have been bruised and beaten. Not my idea of being pampered. Can't comment on the hotel but I peaked into the rooms and they looked very average and a bit outdated.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
mendocino county
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

Stayed just one night. Very nice garden setting. The three pools were each a different temperature which was nice. A little heavy on the chlorine on the inside pool, and I'm not crazy about plastic plants and flowers! Also, for the price, I was hoping for a coffee maker in the room. Overall it was a lovely experience though....

• Stayed November 2009
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

Cute, affordable motel. Chose this room because it had a full kitchen. Room was good size though pretty outdated. It's a comfortable place to stay in Calistoga, walking distance to everything. What I liked about it was the proximity to everything, the spas and pools accessible to hotel guests (which was nice to come home to after long day of wine tasting and other spas), and the kitchen. There are nicer places to stay, but the price and amenities make up for it.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

My husband takes me to Roman Spa in November for my birthday. It is sooooo
relaxing and we love the little town. Staff at Roman Spa are always very pleasant
and the rooms very clean.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Mount View Hotel & Spa
Christopher's Inn
Christopher's Inn
#10 of 15 in Calistoga
4.0 of 5 stars 356 reviews

Been to Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!