“Soak in the pools, go to the spa - Calistoga” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Summer Spectaculars!
Ranked #6 of 15 hotels in Calistoga
San Francisco, California
“Soak in the pools, go to the spa - Calistoga”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here for one night - basic room but it was nice that it had a refrigerator, a view of a beautiful patio and the pool, and there was a bottle of Chandon on ice, which I hadn't expected. The 2 pools and therapy pool were well maintained and clean, temps were good. This is an older place and people come back here year after year - it's not a swanky type of spa. If you want that, go someplace else. If you want to soak in pools at a quiet place off the main street, come here.

Also had a spa treatment with Chaundra which I would have given a 5 star rating except for that the building just wasn't great. Had a 25 minute neck/shoulders/back and a 25 minute foot treatment - great combination and Chaundra did a great job.

Room Tip: Second floor overlooking the arbor next to the pool was lovely. No elevators, so you must be able t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Indeed, we are an older facility and can boast 37 sucessful years as a family owned property. Our beautifully landscaped grounds and cleanliness of the facility as well as the comfortable guest rooms are often noted by many reviewers.
Our spa is well know for our excellent masseuses and indeed Chandra is one of the many favorite female therapists, I'm glad you think she did a great job. I'm sorry to hear that you think our spa building "wasn't great". We all believe that for a boutique size and limited square footage we had provided a very tranquil and pleasing environment despite the fact that we can't offer all the bells and whistles at this time.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our resort.

609 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Ukiah, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We found this place to be available on President's Weekend when other hot springs resorts were booked up. We had no idea what to expect but were pleasantly surprised. The grounds are beautiful with lovely plants, trees & water fountains. The three hot pools have varying temperatures from 98-104 degrees. The indoor pool had strong jets and medium temperature. The beds were really comfortable, which is most important to us as senior citizens. We had a full kitchen and so we cooked some of our meals in the room. It is very close to walk to the supermarket and all restaurants & shops. We always travel with a white noise machine to drown out any noise while we sleep so can't comment on thin walls that some reviewers complained of. They do not have DVD players, HBO or PPV but they had cable. So if you want to watch movies at night without commercials you would have to bring your own DVD player. We did not have any spa treatments. There was no fitness center.

Room Tip: I liked our room which had a kitchen. Don't know about other rooms. There are rooms right nex...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear you were "pleasantly surprised" with our property. The wonderfully relaxing geothermal pools, the lovely gardens and the super comfortable beds seem to find their way into the majority of guest reviews, we take those as both a compliment and a commitment to our guests overall experience.
Calistoga is indeed small town with wonderful shops, restaurants and indeed our all time favority grocery store-Calmart, we're glad you were able to partake in all the town has to offer.
Thank you again, and we hope to serve you again in the future.
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The Roman Spa offers everything my wife and I enjoy, clean warm spring water and top notch massage treatments. I highly recommend it to all of those who need some quality time to reflect and relax. The treatments are most superlative, the service is top notch with with a friendly smile. I love this place and I hope you will too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for your gracious comments about our spa. Our spa staff is top-notch with both their skills as a masseuse but also in their care and concern for each guest. We strive to provide the best service possible for each and every guest from the moment you arrive to the time of departure.

We hope to serve you again in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

I'm so glad I found this place. I got a travel zoo daily deal for 169.00 and it included a 100$ spa discount and a free wine tasting coupon. My favorite part of my stay was the spa. The mud bath was great something I could not imagine. The mud was wonderful. While in the mud I felt weightless,it was so comfortable I fell asleep. The spa attendants were so professional and right on time with everything . When I started to get to hot in the mud she was right there with the cool towel for my forehead. My masseuse was excellent I melted like butter from my massage. I would definitely come back. Oh and the town of Calistoga was nice the hotel was within walking distance to all the nice restaurant..

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your first stay with us. Indeed, your Travelzoo special was an amazing promotion and I hope you will return to us in the future utilizing one of our monthly manager's specials or other promotions we offer throughout the year.
It sounds as if this was your first mud bath experience, indeed it is truly a gift from the earth and a wonderful experience. Our spa staff is very attentive to each guest and I am glad you found the experience so positive.
Thank you again for taking the time to comment and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
Sonora, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

...meaning we really love this place. My husband & I stay here every year with our best friends. We hang out in the pool, drink wine, take in the sun, play cards, & never once get in the car until it's time to leave. Walking distance to downtown & all the great restaurants (plus a really great local bookstore). The pool is always the perfect temperature, the beds are amazingly comfortable. I have trouble sleeping in motels, but the beds & sheets are so cozy I sleep like an old cat. As for the people talking in the next room re: Diego's review -- uh...that was probably us.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful comments. It is always delightful watching the card games that go on in the pool whenever you and your friends visit with us. Calistoga always has so much to offer that indeed we are a walking town and car transportation is only needed to arrive and depart from our delightful town.
We look forward to serving you again for your 25th year!
Boonville, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My best friend and I spent our second getaway at the Roman Spa. The rooms,the staff,The pools ,the mud and massage are fabulous.Everyone is friendly.The atmosphere is relaxing.it is located one block from downtown.You can walk to dining,shopping but you feel away from the hustle of down town.The beds are sooo comfortable yousleep like a baby!

Room Tip: Both times I have been the rooms were perfect!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for your very kind words, it is always a good feeling to know we have provided the experience the guest is hoping for and even beyond their expectations.
Indeed, our cute, quaint town provides a walkablility that allows one to park, stay, and play, since there is so much to offer and with our property only one block from the main street it makes the town even more accessible.

Thank you again and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Called weeks ahead to schedule a mud bath and massage as part of their Friday special. We arrived and went to pay but the receptionist who said it would be double the price that I had expected to pay. I questioned her as to the why there was such a discrepancy and finally she said "oh, you mean our fabulous Friday manager's special?". I would imagine that as a business you wouldn't do things that would prevent a customer from wanting to return in the future. The mud bath was quite enjoyable however, and the massage therapists were very professional. Another let down was when we went to the dry sauna afterwards to find that it wasn't even turned on and wouldn't get hot after twenty minutes. Finally just left because the sound of the electrical current to the sauna was too much to handle and not an easy place to relax in.

• Stayed January 2013
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Matthew,
How unfortunate that you preferenced your subject line so negatively, yet you had an extremely enjoyable mud bath and massage. Both your mud attendant and the massage therapist are 2 of our most requested staff members and you had the pleasure of having both of them serve you on your visit!
I do apologize for the confusion with the receptionist, as most businesses today, we run numerous specials simultaneously and depending upon when the reservation was made and what specials are offered customers can vary in the price paid. With that said, I once again apologize that the transaction was not as seamless as it typically occurs. I'm also sorry to hear the sauna wasn't working properly, we have been working on that issue.
I hope you will consider another visit to Calistoga in the future and take the time enjoy our lovely quaint town.

Been to Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!