“Good fun in some hot mud.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa
1713 Lake St., Calistoga, CA 94515   |
Ranked #9 of 15 hotels in Calistoga
San Francisco, California
“Good fun in some hot mud.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We enjoyed a place that was not pretentious or full of unwanted extras- just good clean fun in the mud. Very attentive staff that allowed us to relax while also being discreet. I was pleasantly surprised at how many staff they had available to answer questions. I wish I had added a massage to the mud bath package which was very reasonably priced. The spa is right in the middle of a laid back Calistoga neighborhood and right in the middle of wine country.

Room Tip: We liked the upgrade to a whirlpool suite for a very modest up charge. The tub is very large and dee...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

444 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We took advantage of a mid-week Girls' Getaway special at the Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa in early June. Calistoga is our favorite Napa Valley location, as we prefer the quieter and less ostentatious wineries at the northern end of the valley, and we particularly love the old funky charm of this little retro spa town.

We enjoyed the pool upon arrival, and were the only ones in the water. The area is covered, but has open sides, which actually works well on a hot day, because the sun is not beating down on you, yet you are still outdoors. The grounds are nicely maintained, and unlike most of the spa hotels, the Golden Haven is located a few streets back from the main street in a residential neighborhood. It was super quiet and peaceful.

We had a Superior room, which was very spacious, clean, and updated, with a nice vaulted ceiling and French doors.

Our spa appointments were for the late afternoon, and we did the whole package, starting with a mud bath. Having done this before at a different spa, I knew what to expect, but the attendant was great, and explained the whole process to us before we entered the bath. Yes, it is a bit stinky, but just prepare yourself for it, and enjoy being suspended in all that warm squishy mud. It could be a nice couples' experience, but this time I was with a friend, and we had a fun and giggly time. A good long shower followed, then some time in the jacuzzi tub, with a nice aromatherapy bath salt treatment if desired.

Then we were taken to a cool-down room to further relax us, which was much appreciated. Finally, we had an hour-long massage and facial. My attendant, Nadene, did a great facial. They make their own facial packs and use all-natural ingredients, which was right up my alley. After 3 hours in the spa, I was wonderfully refreshed, and my skin felt marvelous. The next day, I drove 8 straight hours home to Oregon, and did not have a single ache or any stiffness from sitting all that time when I emerged from the car at the end of my journey. THAT was due to my super spa treatment, I know!

I felt our stay was an excellent value, and I would not hesitate to return!

Room Tip: We loved our superior room. The vaulted ceiling gave it a much more roomy feel than a typical motel...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

I surprised my husband with an overnight trip to Calistoga. Since it was a Sunday we got a great deal--$399 total for couples mud baths, hour massages and a room. Calistoga is a little funky which makes it charming. If you want a fancy spa go elsewhere and don't pick on down to earth spots like this. Friendly staff. Coffee pots in the room and a coffee cart by the office. Nice spots to sit--by the fire, on the sun deck, etc.

• Stayed June 2013
Walnut, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I rarely written a review, but the room we stayed at warrants this review. This place is known for their mud baths; I tried the mud bath for the first time; it was excellent. Its worth the $118 we paid. My wife and I did the one hour massage ($174). It was okay. won't do it again here. The 'spa' area is well updated, clean, with great showers.The staff was very friendly. The room we stayed was old, with a shower tub that wouldn't drain. If it was cleaned on regular basis, the cleaning folks should have noticed the tub problem, and the shower faucet handles did not work properly. This place is an expensive motel ($182/night) for the room we got, located close to Santa Rosa (30 min), and Napa. If I ever come back to this tiny town, I would try the Best Western motel. It looked good from outside.

Room Tip: Don't get rooms with a tub; waste of money.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We decided to stay in Calistoga for our Napa Valley experience. We chose the Golden Haven because they had the mud bath and massage combinations and we were limited to only 2 days. The golden haven is a decent hotel, with a better spa environment. We enjoyed our time and the staff was very nice and pleasant. Albeit the masseuse's were not the best.

Room Tip: Choose Room 12 or 13, since it's closer to the spa and pool.
North Hollywood
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My friend and I took advantage of their last minute internet special and we had a great time. Friendly and helpful staff. Teresa gently guided us through the whole mud experience. Then Linda did a wonderful job on my half hour massage following. Great for unwinding and letting yourself drift into new limits of your mind and body. We got there early and went into the pools which did seem rather chlorinated but still relaxing. I'd consider a return visit!

Castro Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

I usually stay at Dr. Wilkensons, but they don't have couples mud baths. Golden Haven has been nicely updated, beautiful grounds and bocci courts in back. The pool is covered which at first I didn't like, but its so smokin hot in Calistoga, I appreciated that later. The attendants were all very nice, and they go out of their way to help make your stay pleasant. Mud baths were awesome, and had a blast being able to enjoy it with my love.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa? Share your experiences!