“Repeat visitor: still worth its weight in mud” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa
Save Saved
You added Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa to your Saves list
1713 Lake St., Calistoga, CA 94515   |
Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Calistoga
New York City, New York
“Repeat visitor: still worth its weight in mud”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Previously visited over a cold weekend in February 2012. This most recent visit was much more favorable to jumping into their hot springs without fear of getting out in the cold. Overnight stay included mudbath, jacuzzi bath, sweat wrap and concludes with a massage. Sadly, after being spoiled with quality SEAsian massage for the price of peanuts, the mediochre quality massage here felt OVERPRICED in the hands of inexperienced massage therapists (the masseur skipped my lower back, the entire feet, the quads, and glutes, all while constantly second guessing his applied pressure).

Room Tip: Get a room on the ground floor where you can see your parked car out of your door.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

451 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Lodi, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Over all it was a fun experience. My wife enjoyed the mud bath much more than I did but I did leave relaxed, (and hey, who doesn't like playing in the mud). The spa experience was well timed, and never rushed. The staff was friendly and professional. Our room was a bit dated however it was clean with all necessary amenities available. The only down side to our visit was the resort's location. It is in the middle of a neighborhood with a view of people's back yards. With that being said, the price was very reasonable and helped make it a positive experience.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were traveling when our vehicle broke down. Golden Haven is a wonderful place to be. The owners and staff (Nicole) took care of us by not only extending our stay to meet our needs but by making sure that we had a wonderful trip. The rooms are clean and comfortable and quiet. The hot pools melt away your troubles and the spa therapists ease your body aches. You can't go wrong here because it's also easy on your pocketbook. Thank you Goldenhaven.

• Stayed April 2013
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is a reasonably priced place to stay in Calistoga. Is it luxurious? Not by any means; it is classed as a motel and they mean it. The only thing that sets it above a Super 8 is the large soaking tubs and attached spa facility. Yes, it's clean and the people are nice -- but there are no frills here. I'd give the motel 3 stars at best - I'd go back if I just wanted a cheap weekend and someplace to sleep between spa treatments.

The spa is where it's at. It's not impressive (it's a small building) but the masseurs are pretty good. I went here after an especially nasty back injury and did the herbal mineral bath (instead of a mud bath), blanket wrap and massage. This is one of the better massages I've had, and it was cheap. The spa staff was really nice and laid back - it's not your average hoity toity spa experience. I'd suggest you bring your own flip flops and robe, as they are not provided. It's also wise to check out their online coupons before booking.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Car trouble almost made us cancel our vacation entirely. Instead, we decided to wait another day and rent a car. I am glad we decided to continue our vacation because I had a great time at the Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa. The herbal facial treatment was really relaxing and soothing. It made my skin look more vibrant. The cottages are awesome because they're as big as a studio and quite reasonably priced. The staff at Golden Haven were able to accommodate our needs, regarding the rooms. Everybody was really friendly. I will be coming back if I am ever in the Napa Valley.

Room Tip: The people at the front desk are really friendly.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Oakdale, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We did not stay at the hotel but we did have spa treatment done. We had the mud bath, facial, and massage. First, it was very affordable. The mud bath was amazing. It is definitely and experience. All of the people that helped us were very polite and professional.

Room Tip: Try the mud bath!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Spent one night here very recently in order to soak and enjoy the mud. Because the reviews seemed to be all over the place, I decided to write in.

Why did I choose GHHS: a friend/neighbor that I trust has stayed there and recommended it; there was a good package deal available for one night and mud bath for a couple. Even though my partner wasn't interested in the mud bath, it was still a good deal.

What was my own GHHS experience like:
The price I was quoted over the phone was in line with what was advertised online, and is the amount of the pending charge on my credit card. If that changes, I will come back and update.

Every employee that I dealt with was friendly and competent -- whether by phone or in person. The spa attendant who looked after me during the mud bath -- Sara -- was, in particular, quite sweet and accommodating. Ask for her! Leave her a tip!

The room was comfortable and pleasant -- decor recently updated, very spacious, high ceilings, and clean. I was really pleasantly surprised.

My only criticisms for the whole stay is that the fridge in the room hummed loudly and this was noticeable overnight -- and the bed (king-sized) was okay -- a little too much movement/slightly bouncy for me. Well, I still managed to get a good night's sleep.

The pools -- I thought the larger pool for swimming would be a bit warmer than it was but I cannot handle being in water that's much cooler than 90 degrees. But, it was indoors and I got acclimated in order to swim laps for a while. Right next to the pool are two jacuzzis, one slightly hotter than the other. A great set-up for heating up and cooling down if that's what you like.

The place is well-maintained overall. It's off the beaten track, a number of blocks over from Lincoln, but the walk through the neighborhood in between Lake and Lincoln is easy (safe, of course, and pleasant). Probably, many folks choose to drive. Also good to know: only four blocks east, where Lake converges with Lincoln and Silverado, is a trailhead for Oat Hill Mine Road, which looks like a great place for hike. No time to try on this visit but next time I will plan to stay at GHHS and tackle the trail (along with the pools and mud bath of course).

Overall, this spa is low-key, quiet, clean, cared for and vibrant -- I did NOT get the feeling that I was misled or drawn into staying at a place that is actually just so-so or worse, a dump! Golden Haven is a great place for its price point.

Room Tip: Our room was on the end -- along Lake. No problems, it was quiet. Rooms have designated parking spac...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa? Share your experiences!