“A bit too rustic” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Home Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Mountain Home Ranch
You added Mountain Home Ranch to your Saves list
3400 Mountain Home Ranch Rd., Calistoga, CA 94515   |
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Helsinki, Finland
“A bit too rustic”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We knew from the reviews to expect simple accommodations in a beautiful setting. But honestly, even considering the very cheap price, sometimes rustic can be just a little too rustic. For us it meant having bats in our cottage. The doors didn't close completely, so when going to bed we found two bats hanging from the ceiling. Considering bats can carry rabies, we were not thrilled. If it hadn't been the fact that indeed food there was healthy and delicious, we would not have stayed for another night. Management was fortunately understanding of our situation and reluctance to stay in the rustic cabin and we were able to switch to a slightly better one.

Owners were lovely people and mountains truly beautiful and like I said, food was a pleasant surprise, healthy, delicious and home-cooked. But to be honest I would not recommend this place or at least not the rustic cabins. Even if there were no bats, I'd say only the cheap price justifies the condition of those rustic cabins.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
mountainsancturay, Owner at Mountain Home Ranch, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
We are sorry for your bad experience and tried to make it up to you. We do advertise our rustics as "one step above camping", and price them to provide an inexpensive alternative to wine country chic. At a higher price, we have some lovely cabins. We love our bats, and try to get them to stay in the bat houses we provide them, but sometimes they are hard to train and must be removed to more appropriate locations. They earn their keep by eating tons of mosquitos, making the Ranch relatively insect-free. Many mammals carry rabies, but this has not been a problem in this area. Bats just have bad public relations, what with Dracula and all.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Yorkville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My family has been coming up to Mountain Home Ranch since I was a child as my Oma and Opa enjoyed the German food and ambiance. In the 1940’s and 1950’s German was a language you heard as much as English. I have many memories of horse riding, swimming in Lake Orth and sharing big family dinners in the dining room. Many great evenings were spent laughing and singing in the common rooms. Mountain Home Ranch still has the feel of a that sort of family resort.
I recently returned with my grown children and a granddaughter: Five adults and a baby in “Grandpa’s House”. It was very roomy with two Kings and a pull out, and a generous kitchen. We had the best location for enjoying the pool with a deck for relaxing outside, and we were close enough to walk to the corrals – a favorite place for our two year old to enjoy the chickens, sheep, goats, and cows. John and Suzanne feed you authentic breakfasts made from scratch in a buffet style. Lots to choose from and make everyone happy. You can't beat the serve yourself coffee no matter how early your toddler gets you up and John's scones and cinnamon rolls are out of this world.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
mountainsancturay, Owner at Mountain Home Ranch, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for the lovely recommendation. As the third generation operators, we love seeing third and fourth generation guests! There is a wonderful feeling of continuity and connection to the land and each other. We hope that your great grandchildren come visit the Ranch.
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

If you want a place that's beautiful in the country and has great homemade healthy food, places to walk, places to meditate and relax among beautiful scenery, quiet but yet full of nature's sounds, swim, hike, fish, boat... you name it and this atmosphere is for you. MHR is an older retreat, inexpensive and rustic but yet full of beauty and managed under loving care. Pets are welcomed too. These places are hard to find these days but yet so much better than a square box hotel room with traffic noise outside your window. We love it and will go back many times again. The buffet breakfast is delicious and made with all the good stuff we should be eating. John and Suzanne will work with you to provide for your dietary needs and have lots of knowledge about foods and cooking. It's great for children too. All the farm animals are a big hit as they allow the kids to feed them carrots from the basket full of them in the dining room. Kids will get lots of opportunity to run, play and swim... enjoying life in the country. If you've got a group, like a family reunion, or a group of friends, or an educational retreat to put on then this place is perfect!!!! We gathered lots of our family there this past weekend and had a very special time together that we'll never forget. (Ages 1 yr. - 93 yrs) There's something for everyone! We actually ran out of time to see some of the other attractions of the area as once you get settled in it's hard to leave to go into town. Still Calistoga, the valley, the wines and attractions are available and not too far away. Sonoma, Russian River and the road to the west are also close by and available to explore. This ranch is right on the boundry of the best wine regions in the world!! We've also met lots of interesting people that stay here from other places in the world. We'll be back.

Room Tip: There are different rooms available according to your needs of comfort. Check out the website or ca...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I hold an astrology retreat at Mountain Home 2x a year and have done so for 6-7 years (who's counting? It's always consistently great). About 50 of us attend and are tended to with TLC, amazing food, big smiles, open hearts and stunning acreage (2 pools as well). We always have a barbecue, even in March, while is cooked inside but still served like a barbecue. All of us feed the cows, goat, cats & other critters who live and are loved there. There are long walks, a tennis court, ping-pong, a piano.

We consider John & Suzanne, the owners, and their excellent, friendly crew, family. I especially appreciate the fact that there are no radios or phones in the rooms, and I wake up every morning to fresh air, fresh coffee and John's DROP-DEAD GOOD scones, etc.

Try the magic out for yourself. Make unforgettable memories. And be sure to look up at the stars-the view of the night sky is staggering-and I don't say that just because I'm an astrologer!

Room Tip: If you want more of a "hotel" feel, stay in the lodge. I love, however, the "away-at...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Frederick, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I arrived in Calistoga on July the 12th and had no place to stay. I had been riding my motorcycle across the US and was tired and dirty. The hotels in Calistoga were either sold out or way too expensive. I was ready to find a little piece of ground to put up my tent and was given the number to the The Mountain Home Ranch. What a revelation! I was put in a small rustic cabin called Harmony. The bed was comfortable and the showers were clean and hot. John and Suzanne were immaculate hosts and were always willing to offer a hand. The property was fantastic, with it's hiking trails and the lake and canoes. I even saw the largest frog that I have ever seen in my life just hop by me at the edge of the lake. The pools were inviting and the breakfast was the best I had on my trip.
The Mountain Home Ranch gets my highest recommendation. It is very laid back and inviting and the proprietors are the best. Being in the finest wine country in the world is also a minor plus. Please pay John and Suzanne a visit and come away better for it.

Room Tip: Relaxing cabins on the property, or elegant rooms in the manor house.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

A nice experience on a charming ranch in a forestry valley. We stayed in the little cute and cosy but simple hut named harmony. The owners were lovely. Great experience, one should though remember that it is a ranch and not a fancy hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed there for four nights. I am used to rustic living but this was extremely rustic and not clean. I only met one of the owners and he was helpful. The cabins include kitchens. The kitchen in Sunrise only had one small plate and two bowls along with a few utensils. The kitchen in Madrones had more plates but the refrigerator froze all our vegetables and fruits. The bathrooms were dirty and the bed in Sunrise was very old and not comfortable. I am not a picky traveler but this place really tested my patience. Many of the lamps either did not have bulbs or did not reach an electricity outlet. There was absolutely no thought put into details. The furnishings look like they have been purchased at local flee markets. Yuck.

Room Tip: We stayed in Sunrise and also Madrones. The bed in Sunrise had to be at least 10 years old. The be...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
mountainsancturay, Owner at Mountain Home Ranch, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Negative reviews, while painful, are helpful as well. They allow us to see things we otherwise would miss and allow us to improve, both the facility and staff. The maids should clean the bathrooms daily; when confronted with this review, they said that the couple told them not to service the unit -- I feel that there was a language problem. While the furniture was purchased new, it was purchased by my brother some 20 years ago. When you see something every day, you miss a lot. The review gives Suzanne an excuse to go shopping for furniture! Once again, though, it bothers us that people do not say anything while here -- especially those who are here for four days, as this couple was. Had they said anything, we could have made their stay more enjoyable. We just celebrated our 100 year anniversary. We know the facility is old, but we try to make it better whenever we can. If you come visit us, please tell us if you are dissatisfied with something so that we can improve before you leave.

Been to Mountain Home Ranch? Share your experiences!