“Stunning and wonderfully relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

1712 Lincoln Ave., Calistoga, CA 94515   |
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, England, United Kingdom
“Stunning and wonderfully relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

we stayed at the Indian Springs for two nights during our recent honeymoon in September 2013. The staff at reception were very helpful and friendly and we were given a complementary bottle of really nice wine in the hotel room as a gift for our honeymoon, with a very nice hand-written card. The room was lovely, with fresh, clean luxurious bed-linen and towels and cosy robes. The thing that really is wonderful about this place though is the relaxing aura. There are plenty of spots to just sit and relax, the resort is peaceful and restful and then the pool just tops it off. It's a stunning 50m pool fed by the hot spring that's open until midnight. We'll never forget swimming under the stars at this amazing resort. We'll never forget it and hope to come back again soon.

Room Tip: The ground floor lodge rooms (we had room 25) come with a private sun terrace which was amazing. A l...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian R, Manager at Indian Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Mario,

Thank for your kind words and for sharing your experience. I will definitely share your comments with our staff as well.

Regards

Brian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
belmont, california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very expensive for a place that doesn't have a restaurant on site. Relaxing "old school" hot springs facility with an amazing huge warm pool to soak in. Not sure that we will return given all of the other choices in the area but we had a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Interested to see what the place will be like after the major addition they are currently undergoing...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had been there 20 years ago, and was so happy to be able to bring my kids back. They loved it as much as I did. Enough has changed to make me like it all again, while enough remained the same to bring back feelings of nostalgia. Beautiful place, beautiful setting and wonderful midnight swimming experience that will now live in the memory of my kids, like it did for me for 20 years. Thanks!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Brian R, General Manager at Indian Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear hnya,

Thank you so much for stopping by the resort again. I am so glad you found the same old feel but with some new changes. We hope it will not take another 20 years for you or your kids to come back.

Cheers!
Santa Rosa, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We went here for my friend's 30th birthday and really enjoyed our visit. We spent most of the day at the pool while a few of us would experience the spa services at a time. Although it was a misty rainy day, the warm pool was a very nice treat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I will begin by saying I really like this place. It is old-school, and I hope they keep it this way, but they need to put effort into training staff who are nice, but misinformed about many of the hotel policies and gives the place a feeling like no one knows what 's going on. Solage is mentioned in several reviews in contrast a few times, and it is entirely different, so hard to compare. This was my family's first stay with our young daughter.
It feels a bit like there is no one at the helm, and there are a few reasons for this:
The problems from #1 merely annoying, to #2 which was significant enough to make me not want to return:

1. All of the staff seem to have a different idea of what the hotel policies are. Can you have one guest join you at the pool, or is there a guest charge? On the website, it says one guest may join. On the information sheet the check-in agent gives you, it says there is a charge for that one person, but it's not stated elsewhere. I will say that one staff member allowed us 3 passes since they were not busy. That's a common-sense approach to rules that I wish more establishments would take note of.

2. Booking. Indian Springs is a popular place to stay. When you try to book, one can only put in exact dates to see if there is anything available. I easily spent 45 minutes inputting various dates to see if I could find anything since our travel dates were flexible. Considering the small size of the resort, they should switch to a calendar-style of booking so that you can see at-a-glance what combination of days is available, or at-a-glance what stretches of time are booked so that you don't waste time checking every combination of days that might work. Of course one could call, and I did, and that, too took forever. Even large NYC hotels use the calendar method of booking.

3. Most importantly, and the reason for the title of my review, is that none of the staff seem to be able to agree what the property-wide policy is for smoking. We had cottage 11, and in cottage 10, which is attached with only a lattice screen between the porches of the two, there was a man who constantly was smoking a cigar. Considering the heat, we left our doors and windows open for a draft and our cottage ended up smelling of cigar. I asked the front desk what the policy was for smokers, and was told it was a smoke-free resort, and there was one area that people could smoke in away from the accommodations and that they would immediately talk to the guy in 10. Great. Next day, the guy was smoking away again. With us on our "porch", we were 2 feet away from him. I called the front desk and was told that the previous person I spoke with was wrong, and that smoking IS permitted on porches. No one called to tell me this change; thank god I didn't say something directly to the man. I was told the laws were different in Calistoga from the Bay Area, and that you can smoke anywhere. On check-out, Rosa asked if everything with our stay was good. I said Yes, except for their backwards policy on smoking. Rosa said "Oh, we have a resort-wide no-smoking policy - 30-40 feet from any hotel room or cottage". I'm not sure what 30-40 meant, is it one or the other?
The nightly cigar smoke was so frankly disgusting, and the lack of any kind of pro-active leadership lacking really turned me off. I want like this place!
To sum, it's run a bit like a family campground, with a lot of rules, some great (like the quiet-time mentioned on the information), some not so great at all (#3, smoking policy). The pool, it's raison d'être, is great, and is the main reason to go, especially since they now don't allow anyone but hotel guests to use it.
I really hope management fixes some of these problems. The place deserves it.

Room Tip: If you have a choice and it fits your budget, choose one of the cottages. Know that you will share a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Whether a family vacation or a girls getaway, Indian Springs Resort is a great place. The hot springs pool is like no other- a raised, walled in, olympic sized pool with a beautiful setting. It is so relaxing to float on a raft or on a couple of noodles in the pool which ranges between 98-102 degrees F (approx.) The pool is hotter in the colder weather months. The cottages are comfortable and have kitchenettes (grocery store is across the street. It is fun to play shuffleboard, bocce ball and chess out in front of the cottages.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We spent a whole day at the spa and pool. We did not spend a night but we will in the future! We had major regrets because we did not stay the night! It was lovely! This was our grand daughter's first experience at a spa! She is two months old and was so relaxed all day! My son and I had massages and this was a perfect esperience! The pool felt amazing especially because I have soriatic arthritis and I am always sore! Even my sinuses felt better right after the massage! The showers and service were superb! The grounds were beautiful and peaceful!

• Stayed July 2013
Brian R, General Manager at Indian Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Costapapson,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience at the resort. We are thrilled that you and your family had a wonderful day at our spa.

Regards

Brian

Been to Indian Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!