“Spent the day at the spa” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Indian Springs Resort and Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Indian Springs Resort and Spa
Save Saved
You added Indian Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
1712 Lincoln Ave., Calistoga, CA 94515   |
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Portland, Oregon
“Spent the day at the spa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband booked us at Indian Springs for a spa day. Not knowing what to expect or what exactly he had booked made this a bit of an adventure. You are handed robes, told to change and put your belongings in a locker. You're then escorted to showers and asked to shower down (guess it's time to get publically naked), you are then walked to a giant concrete tub filled with mud. You slide yourself in and then a very nice girl covers up all your bits and pieces with giant handfuls of steaming hot mud. You're in there for about 15 min, then helped out, asked to shower the mud off and then into a tub filled with mineral water for a soak. After another 15 min or so, you're then off to the 3rd circle of hell (the steam room). I made it a grand total of about 90 seconds before fleeing the torture. If you like hella hot steam rooms, then this is the place for you! I'm not sure how long you are supposed to stay in there, but I couldn't do it and had to leave. I was then walked down to a quiet room, told to lie down and they gave me a cold washcloth over my eyes along with cucumber slices. After 10 min, I was retrieved and walked to another area for my hour long massage. Bliss, pure bliss. Molly is a miracle worker and she may now be on my Christmas card distribution list. I digress.... All in all it was a good day at the spa and I would estimate that about 5 people had the unfortunate pleasure of seeing me naked. So, if nakidity is good with you, then I highly recommend the full treatment (except the 3rd circle of hell).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Coto de Caza, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I were able to reserve Cottage 6, a one bedroom with bathroom, living room, and a kitchen without a stove, but a big fridge, a sink, and a microwave - plus dining table for 4. Recently restored, it felt like a resort from old Hollywood days, only better. Bed - really comfy. FLat screen TV, but we did not turn it on. Fantastic, Olympic sized pool heated and fed with water from a geyser that would shoot 60 feet high all day if they did not cap it off. Refurbished dressing rooms were comfortable and cute with red and white striped curtains on their dressing rooms. Hotel residents can use the pool from dawn until midnight - day spa users get from 10-6. There are several new fireplace pavillions with super, deep and comfy furniture to relax on. There are hammocks all over the grounds - one is right for you! They also have a number of giant games - like chess and checkers, bocci ball, shuffle-board, and more. There was a volleyball net behind our cottage, in addition to a hammock and two chaise lounges. There was also a beautiful bar-b-q area, two bar-b-ques and a large dining table and chairs. We cooked our own dinner out there. Service was first class. Everybody tried their best to help us out and accommodate us when we wanted to stay an additional night in a cottage. There is a new lodge there with 25 or so rooms - we heard it is smallish, but we did not actually look at the rooms so you will have to check other reviews. The spa was fun - I had a mud bath, which felt like heaven, and then the best massage of my life! I wish I could have bottled that! There is a special area called Buddha's Pond with relaxation areas, and even a floor with radiant heating and a large fireplace. PLUS, you can snoop over by the geysers and get some interesting glimpses, but still stay safely away from being burned by the boiling water. I gave this spot 4 stars since they did not have a restaurant, but it was GREAT in every other respect. Lots of interesting restaurants, great food, interesting shops, and beautiful scenery to drive through. You are in the Napa Valley, and visiting the wineries and tastings are a big attraction for some folks. For me it was all about the pool and swimming in that awesome mineral water. Oh yeah, and connecting with my husband. It's a great connecting spot. Romantic, comfy, fun, and that pool!

Room Tip: Cottage 6 has a handicaped accessible shower.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This resort was my idea of the perfect place to stay. They take very good care of you, and pay attention to detail- but it is unassuming and relatively unpretentious. I also loved having the kind of service and quality but still being walking distance to Main St. in Callistoga- the perfect combination of a retreat and not feeling trapped in a resort. It has a wonderful sense of early 1960s style. (Well maintained! You just sort of expect Rock Hudson to walk around a corner at any moment.) The rooms are charming, and in the lodge each have a (semi) private porch with chairs and a blanket. The hammocks scattered around the property are heavenly. The mineral pool is warm, pleasant, and really refreshing. The spa is extremely well done- not a bit over done, but extremely nice. They rent bikes for free, and provide maps to get to Sterling and other smaller vineyards- definitely do it. (Although the bikes are 1 speed, and there is a rental shop just down the main street with slightly better bikes for an hourly price.) Definitely do the mud bath. I had never done one before, was curious about the fuss, and it was amazing. Absolutely going through Indian Springs withdrawal now that I'm home!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Nicely appointed rooms, but for $425/night for a cottage, there were some basic amenities that I would have expected. We had a nice trip, but it feels like the price should be lower.
Pros
+ great bed, nice bathroom, several tvs
+ great massages
+ very close to town - an easy walk
+ fun to float in the warm pool. Great place for long conversations and very relaxing.

Considerations
- really weak wi-fi signal. I had to go to the local coffee shop to be able to send most emails
- no in-room phone. Not critical, but you have to go to the front desk or use your cell to call anyone at the hotel
- no gym or fitness classes

Room Tip: Request a cottage away from the main road
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The mineral pool at Indian Springs is my favorite pool - anywhere.
Floating under the moon and stars in the warm spring water makes me feel like a princess.
Add the great accommodations, 1950's resort feel (you can play ping pong, bocce ball and have your own BBQ)! Oh, and then there is the spa. We took out the beach cruiser bikes for a spin,
swung in a hammock, and walked to restaurants in town. A great little get away.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I love this resort ! It;s unassuming yet well appointed with highly professional staff. The mud bath are amazing with pure volcanic ash. Be sure to recline out around the Buddha pond after your service. The best amenity is the adults only only to relax around and enjoy pure calistoga mineral water fresh from the ground.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I only had the opportunity to stay one day and night but will return. The property is beautiful and the spa services were wonderful (mud bath and massage). As have most other reviewers noted - the buddha pond was lovely for relaxing before and after spa service and the hot mineral springs fed pool was incredible. We were there in the middle of the week prior to Memorial Day weekend so it was relatively quiet. Similar to the nighttime pool visit.. an early morning visit is just as peaceful.

The mud bath was a first experience for both of us. My husband would not do it again but was glad he did for the experience. He was a bit too warm. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely do the mud bath again. My skin felt amazing after that and the mineral bath soak. We both enjoyed the massage completely!

We stayed in the lodge (lower level upon advice from other reviews) since the lower level has a private patio area with fountain and also a second exit/entrance out to the communal area where there are lounges, hammocks, bocce court, a fireplace for evening, and the location for morning coffee and tea. We did not experience any noise problem but that may have been because it was middle of the week. While the room was a bit small, the bathroom was very spacious and we were not there to spend time in the room anyway. Provided the weather is nice... one would want to be lounging outside in any of the comfortable locations or enjoying the spa or pool!. The cabins looked very nice too and we might try one of those in future.

This was a very short walk into town which is nice to visit restaurants or wine tastings. Also a lovely little town/neighborhood for a good healthy walk if that is part of your routine.

My only complaint is that coffee & tea is not available until 7:30a.m. and they only provided one fleece blanket in the room for wrapping up in by the fire outside in eve or while sipping morning coffee. We were there as a couple... we really needed two!

Can't wait for my next visit !

Room Tip: If staying in the lodge - suggest lower level because of the private patio with fountain (enter from...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Indian Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!