“Mountain View Miscue” 3 of 5 stars

Book Direct
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
“Mountain View Miscue”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were very impressed with the web site,and felt this would be a great hotel to park it for the night .It left us wanting to reconsider our choice.The lobby was unique and had some charm.The front desk staff were friendly. When we arrived at our room.....well it was musty,and the décor was not at all composed to a uniform theme.And the wall paper was difficult to look at.The room was small,and the kitchen area was in need of some servicing.Bathroom was nice.The outdoor spa,really was lacking,and it was very dirty. The continental breakfast consisted of a stale muffin,and a banana with a decantor of orange jucie. For the prices this hotel charges,we truly expected more.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Napa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I returned again and was so fortunate to get a lovely king roomon short notice, on my birthday,. I was warmly greeted by Matt at the front desk, and it was so fun, seeing how much cozier the atmosphere was than even the last time I stayed a couple of years ago. The restaurant Barolo is "the" hot spot for late night dining; couples were enjoying life, wine and conversation in the lounge area in front of the hotel. My bed was heavenly, I slept like a baby after a late dinner and a hot bath in their nifty deep art-deco era porcelain bathtub. Woke up to a marvelous tray of good coffee, orange juice and special request healthy goodies I'd ordered the night before.
I've been staying at the Mount View over a 30 years span, and is still a "sweet spot" for me! Their fabulous spa is the best kept secret in the Napa Valley; great services and spa therapists.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor, don't recall which room. about int he middle of the hotel, it was nic...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Excellent service, prime location, comfortable beds, and nice breakfast. Quaint rooms but not what most would expect given the price. A historical perspective is imperative to appreciate this hotel...and it delivers on that basis. Dining is stupendous at both adjoining restaurants and other fine eateries within walking distance in historic Calistoga. More pluses than negatives make this place a "must try" hotel to enjoy the "Napa experience."

• Stayed October 2012
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel because the website is very well done and appealing. The reality is another. The hotel is in poor condition (see photos attached).
When we checked in they put us in room 231 (first floor, no lift), when we opened the door we realised that the room "view" was on a line of A/C very noisy, so we asked for changing, the reception lady first proposed room 229 (same story) then room 201 that was much better (king size bed and view over the rear garden). This was kind of them, the reception lady made no objections (evidently she knows). Considering that we paid 217 euros for the room, equivalent to approx. 300 US, a decent view would be the minimum. See attached photos to judge.
The room windows were dirty as if they didn't clean them for ages, the bathrobe had holes (see photos). Lots of spider nets.
The parking lot is far too small for all the clients.
The property is nice from the front door, the lobby is nice, and the decor of the rooms is nice, but beware: it is only superficial! If you look at the details you will find a lot to improve/change.
On check in we were asked what time we wish to have breakfast and what kind of coffee we preferred. I did not realise the reason. Usually during a vacation nobody decides the night before when he is going to wake up or to have breakfast the following morning.
The next morning I understood why. Breakfast was served in room and was soo poor I could not believe it (see photos attached). Croissants were gummy and tasted bad. Orange juice was nothing more than minute maid.
They pretend to be an hotel de charme, they have no idea what charme is.
It is evident the lackness of care and passion in this hotel.
It would be so easy to bake a couple of sponge cakes in the morning, or to squeeze fresh oranges, this would really make the difference.
To be honest (but I admit to be spoiled, coming from the most beautiful country in the world, Italy) the whole town of Calistoga and the whole Napa Valleys really lacks a "soul". It's impersonal and cold.
I would not come back.
And be aware not to incur in the misunderstanding as I did when I saw this hotel website!!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MountViewMgr, General Manager at Mount View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Cristefi,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Being the historic Hotel in the center of Downtown Calistoga that we are, we do have limitations on our views of the lots surrounding the hotel. We do market ourselves as a small boutique hotel and this is truly what we are. The Mount View Hotel & Spa is celebrating 101 years of hospitality and we take great pride in providing a relaxing experience for all of our guests and rely on our guest's feedback to let us know when we fall short so we can improve the experience immediately. The first priority for our maintenance department this week is the windows on our second story rooms.

Each room in the hotel is individually appointed and we provide different room type options to best accommodate your comfort and experience while staying at Mount View Hotel & Spa. We also feature private Artist Winery Cottages, each with their own patio and Jacuzzi Tub. These stand alone cottages are truly a gem in a downtown setting, offering privacy while still offering the convenience of the central downtown location. I appreciate your patience as the staff tried to choose the best room for you and apologize that the first two were not the right fit. For the more extravagant in decor and space, our Suites and Cottages would be my recommendation. Our Guestrooms are smaller rooms and are calmer in décor, but still attractive and fun.

It is very important to us to promote a strong local economy and we choose to feature local shops in our complimentary continental breakfast including fresh baked pastries from highly acclaimed Sweetie Pies Bakery, fruit, orange juice, Calistoga Roastery coffee & Numi tea, is an added amenity that we hope brings light to your morning. I am sorry to hear that the pastries were not to your liking. I promise to follow up with the disappointment on the consistency of the pastries you received. We constantly get positive feedback from our breakfast, they are baked and delivered fresh each morning, so I will look into this right away with our bakery.

I appreciate your honesty and feedback. If you would like to reach out to me personally, I would be grateful for the opportunity to make up the shortfalls of your experience. We are truly passionate about the experience we strive to provide and take great care to make up for when we fall short.

Best regards,
Andrea
Fremont, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We booked this hotel on the last minute, so it was extremely expensive, but we had no choice,,,
Room decoration is nice, but maybe its because i was too tired of driving? I did not sleep well, just felt like something weired in the room...sorri if I sound a lil scary, well I think its really because I was too tired ..never mind...
The staff is nice too, and we also booked the hotel spa, the "mud bath", its just mud water in a tub.....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My girlfriend and I came to Calistoga to spend two relaxing days and nights shopping and getting pampered. Alma welcomed us with enthusiasm and Nicole made sure we got a wonderful two bedroom suite with a sitting room. The atmosphere is low key and elegant; the pool area clean and relaxing. We sank into our beds and never wanted to leave! We both enjoyed a wonderful facial with Corinne and agreed that when we return - we wanted to get another! The Mount View Hotel and Spa is centrally located among the shops of downtown Calistoga and is convenient to everyplace we wanted to be!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked Lincoln Ave but was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Pleasanton, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I booked a group of 8 to stay over the Fourth of July weekend. The staff was super accommodating and very helpful. The hotel was clean and had great character. Would stay there again for sure! We even booked the Indie Lounge and surprised the birthday girl with her favorite movie. The pool and spa were fantastic.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Mount View Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!