“European Afforability - Just the Best” 5 of 5 stars

Girls Getaway for 2
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California
“European Afforability - Just the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Affordable prices for rooms and services. Best pools for swimming or soaking in warm waters of various temperatures. Relaxing especially in the evening when the crowds thin out. Been staying here for years. Love it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was my very first time to spend my birthday by myself in a foreign city. I drove to this place from San Fran, when I arrived here, I was greeted by warm welcome. We had a very good & hospitable lady at the hot tub. I enjoyed every minute of it. My massage was 90 minutes but felt like 20 minutes.....it was so good I did not want it to end. I was def. worth every penny.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
MikeLennon, General Manager at Calistoga Spa Hot Springs, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Hello PandaBearPing, thank you for your review and quote, "This was my very first time to spend my birthday by myself in a foreign city." It is an intriguing way to look at Calistoga. i wil share this with our team and we hope you visit again soon. Mike Lennon - GM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

All the rooms are newly renovated.
Friendly stuff and home like accommodations.
Three pools and a fourth small one for kids.

One olympic size pool with 6 lanes for a pro swim with warm water. The second one sized for about 55 people with hot mineral water about °95 to °100. The third is a huge jacuzzi sized for about 30 people with hot mineral water about °107 to °115.

Stayed May 2015
Hi Costel, thank you for the review and for sharing your photographs of the pools with Trip Advisor readers. We hope to see you again soon. Mike Lennon - GM
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I really wanted this place to be better than it was. I booked a pregnancy massage here so that my husband could use the pool and swim while I had a treatment. I saw the reviews on here and Yelp were not great, but I stupidly went ahead anyway, thinking 'how bad can it be?". I rang ahead to check they were qualified to do pregnancy massages and that they had a special pregnancy cushion for the massage table - they said yes to both.

When I arrived the pool area was actually fine (slightly dated and tired, but fine) but the changing room for the spa was vile smelling with dirty showers. Still i gave them the benefit of the doubt, maybe the massage will be fine.... No. The rooms had no ambience (bright light and loud fan) which is an important part of setting the right tone for a massage. Still i was willing to give the masseuse the benefit of the doubt, after all what counts is the massage quality itself.

Sadly i was disappointed. Firstly they had no cushion as promised, so I was just asked to 'lie of my front for as long as comfortable and then turn around'. This was actually not too bad as I am only 3-4 months pregnant, but still, unprofessional as I had specifically requested one.

Secondly, and most importantly, I'm afraid this was not a good massage. Rubbing oil into someone's skin is not a massage. I have had massages all over the world in numbers spas and I know the difference between a professional massage, and someone just rubbing oil onto you. Not an unpleasant experience in itself, but not worth $99 i'm afraid! I felt sorry for my masseuse as she was clearly trying her best and seemed a nice lady, but i just don't think she had the required experience for the spa to charge so much. Sorry.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Hello SOPH1000, I am sorry to read that your massage was not as enjoyable as it should have been. The "smell" is the sulphur content in our geothermal mineral water from our hot spring. Thank you, Mike Lennon - GM
Franklin Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We were scheduled to stay 2 nights and have full spa treaments. .. mud bath, mineral bath, massage ect. We also soaked in the hot springs pools outside. The rooms had a motor lodge feel and not the romantic luxury we'd expected. So we cancelled and moved to another motel. I enjoyed the spa and the hot springs pools but the "resort" was very disappointing and over priced.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MikeLennon, General Manager at Calistoga Spa Hot Springs, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Hello Chattygirl7491, i am sorry to read that our property did not meet your needs. I hope the remainder of your visit to our area was enjoyable. Sincerely, Mike Lennon - GM
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Computer says NO : The friendly staff were totally dictated to by the computer system.....We were scheduled to check out at the same time we were booked for a mud bath....there was no flexibility in dealing with this matter whatsoever..... we repeatedly asked for a late check out . However this could ONLY be granted at exactly 7.30am. We rang at 7.28am and were told to ring back in two minutes....!?

There were photos of the original 1920/30s Roman Spa being bulldozed. What A shame.
A large welcoming open pool has been replaced by several smaller pools surrounded by a gated rusty fence.

This is surrounded by the rooms : Despite being spacious with comfortable beds they have all the charm of a Home Depot ( Homebase / UK) out house . Loud banging doors, paper thin walls.

There was no real 'welcome' to our services : this is what's available to you. It was turn up and fend for yourselves. No bath robes, slippers etc....no frills. Which you might expect from the excellent website photos that present the spa as a luxury resort which it certainly isn't. ...and especially for the price.

Rocklin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We loved all the new upgrades to the property and rooms. We have always enjoyed our stay at Calistoga Spa and Hot Springs, this time just that much more. We enjoyed the BBQ area the first night and one of the local restaurants the second night. Hydro provided a wonderful breakfast in the morning and music and dancing at night. Can not wait to return.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Calistoga Spa Hot Springs? Share your experiences!