“1980s Spa Resort” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Providence, Rhode Island
“1980s Spa Resort”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

The photos on the website led me to believe we were going to enjoy mud baths at a nice resort.
Instead, we traveled back in time to the 1980's. I was definitely bamboozled by the photos on their website!

POOL AREA
-Lap pool water looked a little murky; nothing like the online photos.
-Treat yourself to free grapes out of the cardboard Heineken box
(Really? You couldn't find a nice bowl to display the grapes in?
-This is not MTV Spring Break. Don't expect hot chicks in bikinis & guys standing around flexing. Do expect senior citizens flaunting their Buddha bellies in their barely there bikinis.
-Mineral pools are nice. Unfortunately, my favorite one (with jets) was under shade.
-Dirty napkin thing near pool steps. Over an hour there and no one picked it up.

MUD BATH
You're actually only in the mud for about 10 minutes. Then it's off to the mineral bath, steam room and then relaxation "pod."
-Be prepared to show off your naked bits to the attendants. There is no way getting around it.
-The service is stellar, but the decor is outdated.
-Enjoy ice towels on your head and refreshing cucumber water.

MASSAGE - FIVE STARS
My masseuse "Q" massaged away every tense area of my body. She was great. Unfortunately, the room I was in, was not.
-Bright skylight did not allow for me to fully relax
-Room reminded me of a hospital room from 1980. Very sterile; no calming spa decor or feel to the room at all.

RESTROOMS/SHOWERS
Again, welcome to 1980. The decor is outdated.
-The shower I used was dirty.
-Don't expect any fancy shampoo or conditioners here! I should have brought my travel size Pantene with me.
-BYOS - Bring Your Own Slippers. Shower shoes are not provided here. Neither are robes or anything else you'd find in a nice spa. Bring everything you need. Minus the hairdryer. There was one hairdryer attached to a wall.

The staff was really nice and professional. They get 5 stars all day. However, the overall resort spa experience was lacking. I was definitely disappointed.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
MikeLennon, General Manager at Calistoga Spa Hot Springs, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Hello FoxyWhite03, Thank you for the comprehensive review of the property. You are correct that we need to move away from a 1980's decor in the spa. Over the past several years we have been tackling the renovation of the property in stages and we continue to do so. Remodeling the spa and other aspects of the main building is next on our list in addition to adding other amenities to our offerings. We'll keep you updated. Mike Lennon - GM

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Cypress, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

SPA REVIEW ONLY!! THIS REVIEW IS TO HELP YOU MANAGE YOUR EXPECTATIONS.

This is my mud bath experience:
You are completely naked throughout this experience but your exposure to other people's nakedness is limited as the sessions are timed. You will have been ushered to your next "experience" before the next guest, but do expect others to see your goodies & vice versa.

1st - you rinse off & get into the mud where you will sit for 5-10 minutes. The attendant will put a cool towel on your forehead 1/2 through the time. You basically end up "floating" on top of the mud with some piled on top of you. It will get warm, even hot. The temperature is controlled by piling/removing the mud
2nd - you'll rinse off. A mineral bath would have been drawn for you to sit in for another 10-15 minutes. Bath salt added per your preference for the aromatherapy aspect
3rd - you will go into the steam room for 5 or 10 minutes. It's REALLY STEAMY IN THERE! I couldn't stand it for more than a few minutes but everyone's different.
4th - you will go to a cubicle with a bed for you to lie down, allowing your body temperature to return to normal. The area is quiet & dim. Curtains are drawn to give you privacy but it's not individual rooms
* you are allowed access to their 4 pools outside all day with any treatment purchased
* cool water with lemon & cucumber will be provided. So will cold towels
* There's no spa facility inside, so no hot sauna, no steam room, no jacuzzi
* they have day passes available if you just want to use the mineral pool. You'll have to line up early in the morning as they go fast!

Yes the decor is dated. You are NOT going to get marble or granite counter tops with brown/beige decor. You will NOT have fancy spa shampoos/conditioners/body washes to use (they do have basic shampoo/conditioner/body wash in a dispenser in the showers for you to use) You will NOT get disposable combs, razors, etc. You will NOT have access to ionic hair dryers, just a basic Sun Beam hair dryer that you find in motels. There's NO towels in the locker room, you'll need to ask for additional towels from the front desk

Overall, it was a nice experience, something different to do in Napa beside wine tasting. Calistoga is known for their mineral water source & mud bath. If this sounds interesting to you, go for it. However, do not expect anything more than that. If you want the ambiance/decor, the fancy spa shampoos & conditioners with rosemary/sage/eucalyptus then shell out the money and go somewhere else. You will get what you paid for, or actually a little less when what you paid for. Because it's Napa Valley!!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Had a wonderful stay with a couple package for mud baths and massages. Loved the room and the pools. Should of stayed longer and avoided Napa. Looking forward to a full week here. Had a wonderful dinner within walking distance. Staff was pleasant and professional. Definitely would recommend for couples or families.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
San Rafael, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have been coming here for years. 3 wonderful outdoor mineral pools, super clean rooms recently updated. Kitchenettes and bbqs too. Family Friendly unpretentious feel but not over run with kids. located a block off the main drag which is nice. It used to be relatively inexpensive but I guess times have changed. Still worth it though for a relaxing get a way. Full spa but no wine hour or breakfast included even though room fees have gone way up as well as day use. This is still my favorite Calistoga spot after all these years..Great for family gatherings. Lots of tables and chairs around pool and nicely landscaped. The our side of hotel almost looks motel like but I think that is part of its charm. Very nice inside. I love the second floor rooms and being able to look out over the pool.

Green Features: They are pretty good. Only get new towles/sheets when you request them.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Los Osos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We've been enjoying this place for so long, we're VIPs! It's our go-to for R&R. After parking the car, we pretty much stay put, spending the day going from pool to pool, sun to shade. It's a great place for practicing relaxation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Eureka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My family has been coming here once or twice a year for 20 years now. We started coming because this was the only kid friendly hotel in Calistoga back in the day. It also helped that they have four different pools with different temperatures and we could easily see our kids moving from one pool to another. I like hanging out in the 100 degree soaking pool, and my kids like to go back and forth between the pools, the lounge chairs and the little kiosk with drinks and small treats.
When coming with the kids and several of their friends, we would stay in the "corner" rooms downstairs where we could barbecue and eat outside. Those rooms were a bit dated, but the management has over the years remodeled most rooms. If the only rooms available were the older rooms, I would gladly take them even when I come on a getaway with my girlfriends.
Every time I come, I make sure to arrange for the mud bath and a massage but never on the last day because I am too relaxed to drive after that. The mud bath here is the best experience in the whole town (I tired most places over the years). If they are too busy and I am unable to make lodging reservations here, I will stay elsewhere, but I will come for the spa treatments. They are well designed, super clean, friendly and the blanket wrap is sooo relaxing after the hot mud, mineral water, and steam bath.
Another thing that makes the vacation here a treat is the fact that you don't need to drive. Pleasant downtown offers a safe place to visit. There is a Cal Mar market across the street with awesome cheese, olive, local wine and bread selection and fabulous deli and produce. There are also plenty of good restaurants worth trying.
It doesn't matter what season or weather you catch here. The fabulous hot mineral water makes everything magically disappear. The only issue I ever have is planning three moths ahead. They book fast. It is pricey but worth it.

Room Tip: For couples, the upstairs room are better. For families, I prefer the downstairs rooms. The suite ab...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

What a relaxing weekend! We lounged by their 4 pools, including a huge covered pool that was 104 degrees. My stiff shoulders became so much more relaxed. They also have a small snack bar that serves ice cold drinks, including free water. If I had planned ahead I could have BBQed our dinner on one of their numerous BBQ/picnic table areas which surround the pool. Our room was nicely air conditioned when it got too hot. Plus, it had a refrigerator, 2 burner stove, coffee maker and refrigerator. Super fun and relaxing stay!

Room Tip: Our upstairs room overlooked the pool but was still quiet. Had some wifi issues from time to time...
Green Features: They do a great job of collecting recycling. They encouraged us to re use towels, including letting us use our towels by the pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
MikeLennon, General Manager at Calistoga Spa Hot Springs, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Hi Kellie S, thank you for the review and for pointing out some of our Green efforts. We are listed as a Green Hotel - Gold Level on Trip Advisor and proud to be so. Cheers, Mike Lennon

Been to Calistoga Spa Hot Springs? Share your experiences!