“Day Spa Visit Only” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Day Spa Visit Only”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My wife and I booked a mud bath and a massage here during our visit to Napa Valley. We were pleasantly surprised at the friendliness and professionalism with which we were treated. The mud bath was awesome, as was the mineral bath. The only negative was that the men and women have separate spa rooms, so I couldn't be with my wife. Nonetheless, it was a great way to relax along with the massage we received. A definite perk is that you get access to the pools with any massage or mud bath you purchase. Being in the natural spring fed pools surrounded by beautiful scenery is what Calistoga is all about.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Daly City, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

During my stay at the Calistoga Spa Hot Springs, I became infected with a very bad case of Scabies, classified as the water disease. I cannot even begin to explain to you how horrific it is to get scabies.I was unable to leave the house for 3 weeks, had numerous doctors’ appointments, was referred to a Dermatologist and took prescriptions for 2 months. It is now four months later and my body has purple scars from the severe itching and up until now I still where long sleeve tops and long pants. I had to throw away my bedding (mattress pad, pillows, comforter, and bedspread) as everything needed to be washed in very hot water.
I called the Calistoga Spa Hot Springs to notify them of the problem, but to no avail. I had to reach out to the Napa County Environmental Health Agency, the Napa County Health Department and the Calistoga Chamber of Commerce and City Council and include photos of the scabies in order to have the Calistoga Spa take some action to prevent anyone else from contracting scabies. I requested the email and photos be made a permanent part of the Chamber of Commerce records. “Ignorance and denial” do not solve the problem or prevent any future guests from contracting scabies. It was an actionable item that should have been taken care of immediately, and it was not. The room was not steam cleaned until April 4th, an entire week after I notified them. It should not have taken me calling all these City & County Agencies before any action was taken. The Calistoga Spa caters to all ages (infants, toddlers, very old) and no one should ever have to go thru what I went thru.
Our room was never cleaned in the four days we stayed there. The towels were switched out, but the wet towels from the bathroom floor were placed on the sofa and chairs in the living room (captured on video) while they were putting clean linens in the bathroom. I slept on the pull out sofa bed and maybe that’s where I contracted the scabies. They did provide us with a small discount for the room not being cleaned.
I waited to post these reviews to show a true picture of the suffering I have gone thru so far for the past 4 months. I am also posting this review on other sites; i.e., Google, Yelp, Foursquare, Facebook, etc. and will include a couple of photos (first week and now 4 months later) of what happens when you get infected with scabies. I am also preparing a YouTube video of my experience that will also be posted.
Obviously there’s an “Accountability & Responsibility” chip missing.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Marysville, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My wife and I came back again this year after positive experience last summer. The facility is top notch in all aspects. Family friendly yet nice for couples. Great pools to relax in and the room was upgraded and spotless. The Napa valley is spendy so the price is what it is. All things concise red worth the money. Calistoga is a quaint town with nice restaurants. More down to earth then other areas in Napa Valley. We'll be back... For the STAR rating it gets an excellent from us.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I've been twice: once just for the mineral pools for the day, and recently for an overnight stay. The four pools are pleasant: one large one at 80 degrees, two smaller at around 100 degrees, and a small wading/kiddie pool at 90. The massages my friends and I got were fine but nothing to write home about, and the spa area is rather out of date and a little cramped and worn.
Our room was large and comfortable, but had a bit of an odd, musty smell, worn carpeting and a tiny, very dated kitchenette area. For $300 it seemed quite overpriced, especially given that there is no landscaping in front of the hotel just a large parking lot and the backs of some main street businesses, and the staff were not particularly friendly or helpful. Overall, kind of like a motel with a mineral springs spa, and since rooms don't get you a discount on spa services , it seems a bit steep.

Green Features: The only environmentally friendly practice I noticed was a sign asking us to only use towels that we needed....
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our neighbors above us were incredibly noisy with every footstep, move of furniture, and drop of objects, coming through loud and clear into our room. Annoying to say the least!!

Also, they request that visitors wash their own dishes without awareness of contamination issues with the public and charging $267 for the room in addition!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Berkeley CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We've been coming to Calistoga for several years and have stayed at the Indian Springs, because we'd heard about it from friends. It finally got too expensive for us, so we sought out other alternatives. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Calistoga Spa and Hot Springs. It's different from Indian Springs: friendlier, less of a conspicuous "luxury" feel, a little less hushed, and lot more down to earth. All that was good for us. It is true that the architectural structure is that of a motel, but they've done a very successful renovation. The rooms are spotless and updated, with very comfortable beds and linens. There are kitchenettes and grills outside for those who want to cook there (many did). We enjoy the restaurants in Calistoga, and the hotel is within a block or two of everything. There are four pools - including one that you can swim laps in, and several hot pools. There's also plenty of seating in sun and shade (we enjoyed the lounges on a kind of balcony overlooking the pools). The staff is friendly and helpful. I didn't use the spa services, so can't comment on that. The workout room, which is well equipped and spacious, closes early (9:30 pm); it would be great if it were available longer. It was a truly pleasant two days - we wish we'd been able to stay longer. We'll be happy to make the Calistoga Spa and Hot Springs our go-to place in Calistoga!

Room Tip: The only downside to our stay was that our first floor room was immediately opposite the grill area...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Wakefield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A great place to stay for a family holiday. The pool area is outstanding, with 4 mineral pools, each one catering for a specific use.. The rooms are ok, kitchenettes are well stocked, clean, and practical. There is a downside for ground floor rooms - you get a lot of floor noise from the rooms above. The Spa treatment was a disappointment. Spa staff were very impersonal. Didn't communicate very well, in fact, hardly at all. They appeared to want to talk to each other, rather than the customer. Not a good atmosphere, for a very personal service.
No food service of ant kind on the property, but supply BBQ areas for families to cook and eat, which is useful. Plenty of restuarants on the hotel doorstep.
Would stay here again, but look for Spa treatment elsewhere.

Room Tip: If your a light sleeper, try to avoid ground floor rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MikeLennon, General Manager at Calistoga Spa Hot Springs, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Hello David H, thank you for the feedback on your recent visit. We can learn much from listening to our guests and I will share the feedback with our spa team so we can improve in that area. We hope to see you again soon, Michael Lennon - GM

Been to Calistoga Spa Hot Springs? Share your experiences!