“It's Declined Over theYears” 3 of 5 stars

Girls Getaway for 2
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
GreenLeadersGold level
Oregon
“It's Declined Over theYears”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My wife and I have visited the Calistoga Spa Hot Springs many times over the last 38 years and I think this may have been our last visit. While they continue to remodel and try to improve things, it's not what it used to be. The entire spa is now non-smoking - yes, I'm sure many would applaud this, but at one time the raised area at the end of the pool was available to smokers. Now, there's a bench at the front end of the driveway. Our room was remodeled - clean, but with a vanity sink that wouldn't drain. That wasn't a problem because the water pressure for the sink was next to zero! All and all, I have to rate it average.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
MikeLennon, General Manager at Calistoga Spa Hot Springs, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Hello ChargerDriver,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about our property during your recent visit. Our maintenance crew has already resolved the drain issue so thank you for brining that to our attention. Over the past two years we have renovated our mineral pools, the pool deck, patio area and BBQ’s and remodeled our guest rooms. We try to be true to our goal of providing a relaxing atmosphere where people can recharge from the daily grind of life. As you know the geothermal mineral water at our property is looked upon as cleansing and restorative by many. We understand your position on smoking and are sorry we are not able to accommodate you in that manner. We do hope you will continue to stay with us but if you do not we understand and appreciate the patronage you have shown in the past.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I used to live in Calistoga many years ago before moving to Reno..me and some friends got together for a birthday party. Calistoga Spa Hot Springs has always been my favorite. Its really nice they redid the rooms and pools. The spa needs a little help..I was told by the manager that was their next project. Massages and mud bath amazing I think the same ladies are still working there. The only disappointment I had was the front desk. Their lack of professionalism bothered me a bit..I felt as though I was bothering them. They were all talking in spanish and laughing... all i needed was a towel and I felt like i was just asking them for too much. However, it did not ruin my stay with friends..and I will most likely be back

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
MikeLennon, General Manager at Calistoga Spa Hot Springs, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Hello Cindy R,
Thank you for returning to the Calistoga Spa Hot Springs. I will share your feedback with our front desk team so we can learn from this. Thank you, Mike Lennon - GM
Belmont, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We're thoroughly enjoying our stay at Calistoga Spa thanks to three lovely pools, spotless facilities and an almost perfect recently remodeled room. Calling at the last minute, I really appreciated the desk clerk's honest assessment that steered me away from a partially remodeled king room in a noisy location to a somewhat smaller, pristine Queen on the second floor above the pools. It's plenty big for us, with a great shower, a nice little kitchen and excellent bed and linens. The zippy free wireless worked on my first try. The "almost perfect" rating is partly because the sliding pocket door to the bathroom is improperly installed and doesn't close, but mostly because the staff person to whom I mentioned it replied that "there is a form in your room to report problems." Wrong answer! That's part of HER job. There's also the small matter that the carpet was cleaned right before we checked in and is still wet the next morning. Okay...I'm nit picking. This is a lovely place, for couples, families or anyone seeking instant relaxation. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Call and inquire about the options before you book. Check for online bargains and mention them when...
Green Features: The usual encouragement to reuse towels. Bringing your own beach towels saves the risk of a $20 per towel charge if someone else picks up the one they check out to you.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MikeLennon, General Manager at Calistoga Spa Hot Springs, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Hello Northcoast_Flyer, thank you for taking the time to give us such great feedback. I shared your review with our team this morning and we all learned from it. See you next time and have a safe Labor Day weekend. Mike Lennon - GM
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My favorite hotel in Calistoga by far. I have been coming here since I was in a kid with family. And now come often with my boyfriend to get away and relax. I love their spa. Book in advance! They have three amazing pools and a HUGE jacuzzi. They just remodeled the entire place, and everything looks amazing. Can't wait to go back and visit again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MikeLennon, General Manager at Calistoga Spa Hot Springs, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hello Suzy, Thank you for continuing to be one of our faithful guests. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Cheers, Mike Lennon
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

What an excellent time! The room was very nice, clean and comfortable; the staff was so accomodating. The 3 different temperature mineral pools were soooo relaxing and theaputic...then just when you think it can't get any better you make your way to the spa!!! The spa manager, Nora Schaeffer, knew exactly what I needed!!! She started me out with a mud bath, which was amazing in it's self, then on to a mineral bath and after that the steam bath. Then she finished me up with a massage! My mud bath attendant, Tish, took care of my every need giving me refreshing cucumber and lemon mineral water to drink and cold wash towels to keep me cool and comfortable. Johnathan was my masseuse, he was outstanding....what an awesome massasge, I was so relaxed at the end of this excellent experience! I wiil be back to this wonderful place in Calistoga!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
MikeLennon, General Manager at Calistoga Spa Hot Springs, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Hello Patrice P, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Nora and Jonathan will be pleased to see the results of their efforts. Cheers, Mike Lennon - GM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Spa treatment here was AMAZING! We started with the mud bath, and as suggested by Nora Shafer, Spa Manager, we finished with a massage. Gosh, she sure knew the secret! The sequence of events involved with the mud bath was exhilarating for the flesh and soul. The treatments were phenomenal, primarily because of the personal service from Nora and Erica, my mud bath assistant, and Johanna, my masseuse. These professionals knew how to eliminate all modesty and focus on ensuring simple, worry-free pleasures. The hotel property overall is exceptional. We're half a block away from Calistoga's main vein, an easy walk and in awesome climate here in late July/early August.

Room Tip: Ground floor room gave us a patio table, umbrella, and ample walking space (while upstairs above us...
Hayward, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The pools very nice, but the room very poor with ripped curtains. Really bad view and not good air conditioner. I will pay for the pools (pools don't cost $250.00 per day) but not for the room. A motel will be better and a lot more chip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Calistoga Spa Hot Springs? Share your experiences!