“Very nice.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Calipatria B&B and Inns
Playa del Rey, Ca.
“Very nice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Enjoyed our stay - room was clean- staff accomodating.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Had to go to Calipatria on business last week. None of my coworkers stayed in the city. They either took the long drive back to Los Angeles, or stayed in Palm Springs. I took a chance on this place and I'm glad I did. However, bring a book if you don't speak Spanish or you'll be forced as I was, to watch the Matlock marathon. Other nightlife? Well the night sky was pretty to look at. Also bring cash. The gas station I used didn't have broadband and I forgot how slow dialup is. But the hotel - I spent a little extra and had a king suite. It was very roomy and quiet. There's a pool and jacuzi on the grounds if you're into that, but it was a little too cold for me to venture out. The kitchenette didn't have any tools, so if you plan on cooking bring your own pan and spatula, or ask the desk if they have extras. I had dinner from their restaurant but took it to my room. It was their spicy lemon chicken and it was good.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

After our mediocre stay, we accidentally left a jacket at the hotel. Since we were already in San Diego, I called the hotel and requested that they mail it to me and charge me for their time and expense. They were very pleasant on the phone. I assumed that it would be no problem. Go to 3 months later, no jacket, no return phone calls, no nothing!!! Don't trust or use them.. and to think we paid extra for a suite. I understand leaving the jacket was our fault, but don't promise you'll take care of it and then don't! VERY BAD EXPERIENCE.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
calipatinnfrontdesk, Owner at Calipatria Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
I was sorry to learn that we (our staff) had not performed in our usual efficient and friendly manner to satisfy this customer. We are in the service business and realize the importance of maintaining good guest relations. We were at fault for not communicating between our departments and have worked out a routine that I hope will prevent this type of event from happening again. I personally mailed the article back to the owner and of course did not charge for the service.
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We were not expecting to find such a nice place to stay in this remote desert setting. We were here for bird watching and had stayed in lots of motels on thecalifornia coast and in the desert. This motel was one of the nicest and it is independently owned and run. The room was very clean and up tp date, the pool is beautiful and the staff was friendly and welcoming. We are happy to recommend it.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights recently while exploring the southeastern Salton Sea area - picked it for price and central location. It turned out to be a great choice. It looks like a basic 2 story motel, but the property has a nice courtyard and pool in the center and clean nicely furnished rooms. A couple of reviewers commented on an odor - it's the feedlot down the road on Hiway 111, folks, not anything at the Calipatria Inn and it depends on the direction of the wind. There are few options for lodging in the area and this is a very pleasant option. The staff is uniformly cheerful and helpful. We were surprised and delighted to find a restaurant on site for dinner - Steakhouse at the Inn. There are few options for food in Calipatria. The food was very good with friendly service and decent prices (beer & wine also). The Inn also serves a very basic breakfast (cereal, apples/bananas, bagels/muffins, coffee, juice). One morning there was biscuits & gravy also. Not inspiring, but adequate and the service was cheerful.
We were more than satisfied with this motel; it seemed like a place where the owner actually cared about the guests. He was on-site; the staff was very friendly and helpful; the place was clean; everything worked in our room, etc.

Room Tip: End room on the second floor
So Cal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

I gave the Inn 5 stars because of the unexpected comfort and value in the rural desert area.

It is similar to rooms you get in nice lower priced motels, but the property is laid out with a courtyard and pool in the center. The reception was quick and there is plenty of parking near the rooms. Rooms are comfortable, well maintained and not cramped. The heat/ac worked perfectly.

The receptionist was quite busy with several guests arriving at about the same time, but everything was handled quickly.

The continental breakfast was on par with Comfort Inns, Hamptons, etc....perhaps a bit better than some.

We will definitely be going back.

Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

Calipatria Inn & Suites is a basic motel. It's clean and provides the essentials. In my room, the alarm clock did not work nor did one of the few wall plugs. Although I thought about reporting this to the management, I did not, because I expect this to be the responsibility of the staff.

Location is good if you are interested in the Salton Sea area. I had dinner at the in-house restaurant two nights, and it was pretty decent. On other other hand, the complimentary breakfast was pretty bad. Someone went to the store and bought a bunch of muffins and danish in large packages.

Recommend this place if you just want a nights rest - don't expect much.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to Calipatria Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!