“Eh......” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added Econo Lodge Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20688 Tracy Avenue, I-5 and Hwy 58 Exit, Buttonwillow, CA 93206 (Formerly Homeland Inn & Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Buttonwillow
Redwood Valley, California, United States
“Eh......”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

After 7 hours of driving with four kids ages 9 years-9 months we found that Bakersfield was SOLD OUT. The entire town had 0 rooms. So I called Hotels.com and they found us this place in Buttonwillow, about a half hour away. We were really thankful to have the room so I tried hard to find things to love about it but by the end of our stay I was really disappointed. The room felt fairly clean except the chairs and couch. They were visibly filthy. It made me a little sick to my stomach. I'm not a TV person but in a hotel it's nice to have a decent TV. The TV they had was the exact same one my parents had in their bedroom in the 80s when I was a little girl. The children had a hard time watching cartoons because the colors were all off. The breakfast was where I really lost any respect I was trying to maintain. Donuts, bread, waffles and that was it. No fruit. No protein. They had hot water but no tea ?? They didn't have enough waffle batter and when my son and I asked for more the hotel woman asked us our room number in an accusatory way and she was the same woman who checked us in the night before. I stumbled for a minute since we had checked in late and been at many hotels on our trip and she sat and looked at me like "You're not getting batter until you tell me your room number." The room was for a large family (family suite) and they only gave us two towels. And after all that, it wasn't cheap at all. I paid the same as I would have for a much nicer hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
econolodgeinnandsuit, Webmaster at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Econo Lodge Buttonwillow for your recent stay in our area.

We thank and appreciate your review.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• Management has been apprised about what happened as you mentioned in the review and also the hotel staffs have been given special training on guest relationship and managing their requirements to the highest satisfaction.

• Your comment on the amenities has been taken care of.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper presentation and to ensure ample stock of breakfast items. There are a multitude of breakfast items to choose from such as waffles, danishes, juice, cereal, tea, hot chocolate etc.

We take guest reviews seriously and I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will find our hospitality and amenities to your best satisfaction and I think you will be greatly pleased.

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sidney, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Extremely unpleasant reception staff, poor welcome, no breakfast served before 7 am, expensive for run down old place. very noisy, echo from the highway in back area as well. Go anywhere, can't be as bad!
Tried to claim my credit card did not work and asked for cash,
when I said I had no cash, the card suddenly went through. Nice scam!

Room Tip: there are no good rooms, even the back is extremely noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to our area.

We appreciate your review and have taken the observations for further improvement.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience you had however unlikely may it be.

We have taken adequate steps to check and ensure that the overall amenities and cleanliness of the rooms are perfect before checking in a new guest and the concerned staffs have been given the required training.

The hotel staff has also been advised to ensure proper hospitality.

The credit card transaction process has been made more efficient.

The catering section has been instructed to look into the quality and quantity of the items. Breakfast begins at 6:00 am.

We would like to invite you to once again choose us during your next visit and promise a delightful experience.

Hotel Manager.

Travelers are raving about these Buttonwillow hotels

Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed in the room with 2 double beds. It had no closet and was pretty small, but it was clean and the refrigerator and microwave both worked. WiFi was a bit slow but manageable. Staff was friendly and we had a room not far from the pool and away from the highway so it was very quiet. Plenty of places nearby to get something to eat. Just needed a driving break from the journey to San Diego, and would use it again for that purpose.

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside are far side are quieter as they are away from the highway.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
jaghomeva@yahoo.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Buttonwillow is typical central California interstate town. Just needed to stop for the night to sleep. Got good night's sleep here, then left early in the morning to get back on the road. Good breakfast options close to motel, since economy motels typically don't have a strong breakfast option. Overall, I slept well in a clean room, which was all that I expected. Very solid Econo Lodge property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

In all fairness, we did not stay at the Econo Lodge. We wanted to, but were so turned off we ended up at the Motel 6.

Upon check in, we were greeted by the brusque manager, who checked us in. I took the key and went to the room while my husband finished up in the reception area. When I looked into the room, it was not made up - still dirty sheets and towels all over the place. I walked back to the reception area, and checked each downstairs room on my way ... EACH room was in similar disarray - NONE of them were made up for guests.

We asked to speak to the manager, who had quickly took off and left the hotel in the hands of a young staff member. At this point I had no desire to stay here and just wanted the charges on our credit card reversed.

The staff member could not find the manager, then told us she was not to be disturbed. We insisted. The woman was surly, told me that most of the rooms were made up, and some weren't because "you have no idea what it's like to have staff in an area like this." We laughed! We own a resort on a small outer island in Fiji, where we are, in many cases, the only job our staff has ever had. And they would NEVER leave every room looking like this.

We did get our charges reversed, but not without a lot of aggressive hammering from the manager, who was the absolute most rude person we have ever come in contact with in the hospitality trade. It may be a nice place to overnight, but because of her ugly attitude towards guests, I would never stop there again.

With that said, the Motel 6 across the way was accommodating, caring and concerned. A far better experience, Budget is budget, but it doesn't cost extra to provide friendly customer service.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying at the Econo Lodge.

Thank you again for sparing your time to put a review with straight observations which will definitely help us to improve.

Our apologies for the inconvenience caused howsoever.

The front desk staff has been effectively trained to be responsible and caring towards all guests. The staff you mentioned in the review is no more working with us.

We would love to see you again at our hotel and we will definitely give you a nice experience.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were on our way to SF from AZ, and this town was our first stop. As other reviewers have said, they struggle with bugs and smell because of the cattle and farms all around. I was at first taken aback by disrepair in the lobby, but we were adequately served, and our rate was correct. We had called to make our reservation and had our information with us. The room was again adequate and reasonably clean. Nice to have a shower stall. The beds were what you'd expect for this type of place and rate. The place does need several days of dedicated handyman maintenance and new towels. Our 11-year-old daughter wanted to try the pool, but as soon as she dipped her toe, she realized she would be swimming in bugs and debris. Not just a little bit, either. So, we cleaned up and walked over to Willow Ranch Restaurant. This place was delicious. Anyway, we knew the breakfast would be dismal, so we skipped it for a quick stop at Starbucks and snacks in the car. Beautiful country from here to San Fran.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

We called in to get a room.they gave us wrong price, told us no pet deposit but charged us anyway. got to room a/c didn't work and when I called in they treated me like I was stupid. Found a cheaper one a block away.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying at the Econo Lodge.

We appreciate your review and the straight comments.

We have ensured that such a misunderstanding will not happened again.

We are continuously improving our rooms, AC and other amenities along with points related to cleanliness and other points mentioned by you.

We look forward to see you again at our hotel and assure you a nice experience.

Hotel Manager.

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!