“A great place to stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Charm Motel
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   37371 State Highway 299 East, Burney, CA 96013   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Burney
N/A
“A great place to stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

When on road trips, I try to pick a hotel that's off the beaten path, and not a mega-hotel chain. So I lapped a few times around town, and found this place. I checked in with a nice older lady who answered all my questions and offered me pretty much either hotel (they have 2 large U shaped buildings there) The room she gave me worked well for my needs. Something with heat (It's winter!) with a shower, toilet, sink, and a TV. It had all, and all functioned just fine. The bed was comfortable for me, and there was enough room to move about. There also was a small fridge, coffee pot, and a microwave in the room. Those extra's are handy as most places do not have them. The only problem I had with the room was the shower. It is small. The room looked like they remodeled it recently, and the workmanship was good, but they kept the shower too small to be comfortable. The only way they could fix it is to literally re-arrange the bathroom as it's tucked into a small space. I do not think they could even use one of those bowed shower curtains some chains use now as it would cause most people to get water on the floor. So bottom line if you stay here is plan on showering and having the curtain stick to you. Aside from that, the room was great, and the staff were very accommodating! They also have a continental breakfast, but I skipped that.

Room Tip: If you need alot of room when you shower, this may not be the place for you.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Yuba City, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

The room was not only small, it was filthy ! King bed actually sunk down almost 3" on one side due to box springs being broken and bottom falling out. Towels were like sand paper and you were allowed 2 only. Housekeepers all smoked inside rooms as they cleaned them (I saw 2 in one room at a time with lit cigarettes hanging out of their mouths). Television was so old and small (maybe a 12' screen) that you could barely see it it from bed nor could you understand it due to it's age and size of speakers. Sat on couch and was immediatly bit on leg, ankle nd lower back from some kind of bug. DRIVE BY AND DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY OT A NIGHT'S SLEEP ON THIS PLACE

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
RK7
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

I went here with my husband and 2 yr old. The rooms are small. The bathing area hardly had space for you to move. I found it hard to bathe my son there. The kitchen has everything you need: stove, fridge, sink. So it worked for me. But its not a hotel room you look forward to going back to. We did a last min long weekend booking, so we didnt have much choice. The breakfast is very minimal, so I wouldnt count on it. There is a safeway within walking distance. The AC worked well. Overall, I would say it was a no frills place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

Funny that one person said "If you want a good night's sleep...". I had a great night's sleep and am not one that sleeps well on the road. However I went in the summer. I didn't need to run any AC at night. I just opened the windows and let the great fresh air in. I know running heater and AC can be annoying sometimes.

The first room I had was close to the road and sounded noisy. But I asked the front desk to move me and they quickly moved me to another room. Joyce, the front desk person, then called to make sure the room was to my liking. A nice touch, I thought.

Furnishings are not modern or oppulent. But the place was clean, quiet at night, beautiful surroundings and quiet. I thought it a pleasant accomodation.

The breakfast was nice and healthful. Oatmeal, canned fruit, V-8 juice, granola bars, applesauce, various juices.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
North eastern California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2008

If you want a good nights sleep this is NOT the place to stay.
Room was cold heated only once then turned off. neaver came back on. at 4:30 a.m. loud noises from room upstairs and on both sides started ,then several autos started up, just to idel for over an hour. Snow Ball fights out in front , leaving the sidewalk as slick as the parking lot.
Light Bulbs in room burned out so not enough light to read by.
The manager was unconsured when we told him of our experiance. Will not be returning.

• Liked — didn't find much to like.
  • Disliked — the management lack of concern towards our stay. they allready had our money didn't cary about our experiance!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sacramento
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

This is not an elegant place but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. It is far enough off the highway that the noise in not a factor. There was a small refridgerator in our room as well as a small television with about 40 cable stations. The room was big enough but the bathroom was pretty small. Though they have no pool, you can walk next door to the Green Gables and use theirs if you show them your room key. Breakfast was some cheap juice and a packaged sweet roll so we walked down the street to eat.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Charm Motel? Share your experiences!