“Nice pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Burlingame
coventry uk
“Nice pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for four nights while visiting San Francisco.

We had hired a car, so staying out of the city was fine for us. The hotel was easily accesible, had a pool and a stunning view of the bay from the rear.

The hotel undergoing some construction, but I was never bothered by anything.

The room was recently remodeled, very clean, HD tv with great selection of channels including one HBO channel. Very comfortable bed, microwave and fridge.

Staff were friendly. Never used pool or gym, so can't comment on those.

My only gripes are the speed of the wifi was very poor. Every day of my stay I had to call to complain about it. My issue was never resolved, it was quite frustrating. A good wifi connection is very important to me choosing a hotel. The taxes were quite steep, but that is booking.com fault for not being clear, not the hotel.

The room had a brand new digital temperature stat in it. The sound from the air con was very loud. We could not turn it off ourselves, as you needed a code. You needed the maintenance man to come and do it, this was a hassle at 12.30am. Even when it was switched off we could still hear it in the neighbouring room, this was a little bit annoying. I never however heard any noise from the planes, which proves the building is well soundproofed against outside noise.

Burlingame was a lovely town with a great main street, with several nice restaurants and shops.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Mary D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear couchguru,

First of all, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for allowing us to be a part of your most recent San Francisco trip and for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a review for our hotel. As a valued guest, we truly appreciate your feedback as this will help us serve you even better. Also, please accept our sincerest apology for the inconvenience brought by our WIFI connection. We are currently upgrading our WIFI system and this will allow us to provide more efficient connection. We would like to invite you to come and visit us once again and we assure you that you will have a more pleasant experience especially with our WIFI. Please do not hesitate to call us at 650-347-2381 or email us at reservations@hiesfosouth.com should you have any questions or need assistance in making any future reservations. We hope to see you again soon!!!

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I was greeted very professional with a SMILE one your front desk agent "Emily" and acknowledged me being IHG member upon checked in. She explained all the hotel amenity and pardoned me for the hotel renovation was in progress. The room was very cleaned and well detailed and breakfast was great and staff are friendly. I, definitely share this great experienced at your hotel to all my friends. I will be back.....

Room Tip: Comfortable bed and quite room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Mary D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear abungay,

We are very happy that we were able to meet your standards and expectations and that you feel that we were able to deliver you good customer service. Our guest's comfort and satisfaction is what our staff is always striving for. Thank you very much for allowing us to be a part of your most recent trip in San Francisco, it was our pleasure to serve you. Also, we appreciate you giving us a very nice review. For any future reservations, please do not hesitate to call us at 650-347-2381 or email us at reservations@hiesfosouth.com and we will be more than glad to assist you. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Over the past four months I’ve made 3 one-week long business trips to the Burlingame area, each time staying at this Holiday Inn Express. I’ve enjoyed my stay each time.

I’ve found the staff to be friendly and pleasant, from the front desk to the housekeepers. Each time I’ve had one of the renovated rooms and found them clean and comfortable. There was some kind of cushioned pad between the mattress and the fitted sheet that wouldn’t stay in place on my bed and would bunch up. I’d have to straighten it out every day or so. The free wi-fi was always up and working and proved adequate for my needs.

I really enjoyed the complimentary breakfast every morning. There was juice, toast, warm Danish, cereal, scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, biscuits, gravy, ham slices, pre-made omelets, and fresh warm pancakes. I really liked the pancakes. They have this nifty machine the size of a desktop printer, you push a button and about 45 seconds later out comes two fresh warm pancakes. They were great! I wish I had one of those machines at home. As others have commented, the breakfast room is small. I always had breakfast around 6-6:30 am so the room was empty. I went by once around 9am and it was a lot more crowded. There are extra tables in the lobby area. They were still renovating when I was last there and when they finish and their guest capacity increases, the breakfast room issue could get worse?

There is a convenient restaurant right in front of the hotel, Max’s. It made it easy for getting supper in the evening when I didn’t want to drive. In the evening, there were warm fresh cookies in the hotel lobby. They made for a nice sweet evening dessert. (cookies not available on Saturday and Sunday).

The hotel is located right on the edge of San Francisco Bay. In the evenings after I returned from work, it was easy to walk out the back door of the hotel and head either north or south and walk along the Bay Trail. The trail was a paved county path that followed the edge of the water. It was popular with joggers and walkers every evening. You could watch the planes departing or landing at SFO, or watch the shore birds in the water. Walking south was a little more scenic and nicer.

The hotel was conveniently close to the Milbrae BART station. That made it convenient to take BART downtown on my days off.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my stays at this Holiday Inn Express. It would be my first choice go-to place for any subsequent trips to the area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Traveler_Dave_9,

We would like to thank you for your continued patronage and for posting a wonderful review for our hotel. We always look after our guest's needs and comfort. We are glad that we were able to meet your standards and expectations. Those pancake machines are really great and we love it too!!! Thank you for letting us know about the cushion in the bed, we will check and see how to make it more the mattress pad be more stable. As always, as a valued guest, we appreciate your comments as these will help us serve you even better. Please do not hesitate to call us at 650-347-2381 or email us at reservations@hiesfosouth.com should you need to make any future reservations. We are looking forward to your next stay with us. Thank you once again.

Charleston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We were tired and didn't have any problem with being close to the airport, nor hearing others at the hotel. It's located close to the airport & there's a comped shuttle to provide transportation back & forth from the airport. The hotel staff was friendly, the hotel was clean, our beds comfortable & the breakfast was better than most of the HIE breakfasts, providing choices of meats, eggs, breads & fruit. The price was high, but I guess they can get away with that with their proximity to the airport.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Mary D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear muchfuntravelin,

We would like to thank you for allowing us to be a part of your recent San Francisco trip and for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a review for our hotel. Just to know that you had a good overall stay with us is already an accomplishment for us. The staff are all looking for our guest's comfort and satisfaction. Should your travel needs bring you back to our location, please do not hesitate to call us at 650-347-2381 or email us at reservations@hiesfosouth.com and we will be more than glad to help you make a future reservation. Thank you very much once again and we hope to see you again in the future.

Big Sur, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

The noise level kept us from getting any sleep the 2 nights (arriving and departing SFO) The planes landing and taking off, the slamming of doors reverberating down the halls, the sound of people coughing and using the bathroom (yes the sound of urinating), all persistent and loud. Don't think you can check in and rest before going to eat: current renovations add to the noise level until the workers quit at 5pm..

Room Tip: Try to get in the wing that is somewhat blocked from the noise of the airport although this was the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Mary D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear marlana2014,

First of all, thank you very much for staying in our hotel and for posting a review. Please accept our sincerest apology for the inconvenience we had caused you. The entire building has concrete walls however, again we apologize for the noise during our stay. The hotel is scheduled to be finished with our renovation by April this year and we are all excited about it. We would like to invite you to come and visit us once again after the full renovation is complete and we assure you that you will have a more pleasant stay. Should you want to discuss more details about your stay or if you have any question or concern, please feel free to call us at 650-347-2381 or email us at reservations@hiesfosouth.com. Thank you once again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed here for my 2 nights for my fiancé graduation and all I can say is that this hotel is in a nice location close to the airport but and a few minutes to San Francisco. The hotel clean and the staff provides great customer service. Leila Borja made sure our stay here was comfortable. Upon check in she personally checked if our room is ready and cleaned. We have been given the newly renovated room with a bay view and it was a nice of her to offer that to us. She has definitely given us a 5 star treatment and that's a good quality service. The free breakfast is a nice compliment and the fruits and cookies too. Their is a trail located behind and it's nice if you wanted to catch a fresh air and enjoy a scenic bay view. I would definitely stay here and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014
Mary D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Jedflip23,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service. It is something our staff takes pride in, so we value your feedback. We will sure to pass your kind words along to Leila. Thank you so much again for staying with us. As a valued guest, we truly appreciate it. Should your travel needs bring you back to our location, please do not hesitate to call us at 650-347-2381 or email us at reservations@hiesfosouth.com and we will be more than glad to assist you in making future reservation. We hope to see you again soon!!!

South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

We usually stay a block away at the Crowne Plaza when we're in the Bay Area. Decided to break our habit, mostly for the free parking. Seems like this place was a different chain, now being converted to HIE. Work is still going on but was not an inconvenience at all. What has been refurbed is really very nice. Our room was nicely done, comfortable, clean, modern. The cleaning staff were exceptional and seemed to go out of their way to make sure we were happy. Lobby and breakfast area are much nicer than most HIE breakfast rooms. Breakfast was typical so met expectations. Coffee seemed better than most HIE locations we've used. We're Platinum IHG members so have had a lot of coffee in a lot of their hotels. WiFi seemed a bit slow but not a huge problem. Front desk staff were really outstanding. On a rainy afternoon I jokingly complained because their late afternoon DELICIOUS, warm cookies were not out earlier in the day. We were leaving for the afternoon and would miss the cookies. The nice lady (shame on me for not getting her name!) at the desk said not to worry, she would take care of us. When we got back around 9pm that night she saw me come in and called me over to give me the 4 cookies she had saved for us. Now that's attentive. That's how you exceed expectations. If you want a comfortable, reasonable hotel near SFO, give this one a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed. We'll be back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Ken L,

On behalf of the entire staff of the Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us and for posting a very nice review for our property. As a valued IHG Platinum Member, your comments are very much appreciated. We are very glad that we were able to meet your standards and expectations. Your comfort and satisfaction are always our top priority and each of our staff are making every step of their way to make sure that these will be accomplished. Please feel free to call us at 650-347-2381 or email us at reservations@hiesfosouth.com should you need to make any future reservation and we will be more than happy to assist you. We hope to see you again in the future!!!

Guest Services Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Francisco Airport South? Share your experiences!