“Avoid the bar at all cost” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast, Parking & More
Ranked #6 of 12 hotels in Burlingame
San Francisco
“Avoid the bar at all cost”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

First off my wife and I are local residents.

We recently were in the mood to have dinner outside of our regular stops. After doing a quick search on Opentable we came up with a 1000 point reservation at 37 North the restaurant and bar inside the Double Tree SFO. I would like to say that we normally would stay away from a hotel restaurant.

We arrived at the restaurant and checked in with the receptionist. We asked if it would be OK to eat at the bar and catch the football game. After being seated and greeted by the bartender things started to head downhill from here. First we ordered couple of Martini’s. This was the best part of the whole experience. We then proceeded to order a couple of starters. They turned out be not that bad. After which we ordered a main course, we both ordered the flank steak which came out swimming in oil. Before we were even half way finished with the starters the main course arrived. The second bartender proceeded to set the plates in front of us. My wife had to ask that the dish be put to the side while she finished her appetizer. The bartender did but had a very curt response to her request.

At this point the bartender that took our order stated that he was going on break and asked if we could settle the bill, note that we were only about three bites into the main course. We paid the bill however the bartender never actually left on break
While still eating we noticed a commotion on the other side of the bar between both bartenders and the bar manager. The bar manager came across as very unprofessional and she should have had her discussion outside of our view and that of the other guests. Not to mention that the guest sitting next to were unable to order anything until the discussion was complete.
At this point we just decided to up and leave.

Overall this was terrible experience. We would not recommend eating here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Managerdth, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
I would like to first thank you for taking the time out to review our restaurant and bar service. We are constantly striving to find ways to improve our service here and the insights you had to the guests’ perception at the bar service is invaluable to ameliorating our guests experiences.
I apologize for your experience; we generally strive to keep the guest experience positive and conversations about the operation behind the scenes, and I apologize that we fell below standards during your visit. Rest assured that your feedback will be shared with all staff so that we can better serve all of our guests.

We would look forward to having an opportunity to make up for this experience. I would love to discuss the situation further with you. I can be reached at 650-373-2232 or via email at Nathalie.Cassidy@hilton.com at any time.

Thanks again for taking the time to write a review, and I do sincerely hope to hear from you soon.

714 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Very much enjoyed dinner at the bar at 37 North. Got to enjoy Monday night football and the great service from Geoffrey and team. Would def recommend! The food and the martinis were great! We well be coming back for sure...

• Stayed October 2012
Managerdth, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our restaurant on Trip Advisor. We were glad to hear that the word is getting out about 37 North to the locals. I will be sure to pass on your comments to Geoffrey the bartender. We look forward to your next visit.
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This was our 3rd hotel during our 6 day Napa Valley/San Francisco trip. We chose Doubletree due to our early morning flight back to the east coast and it's closeness to the airport. And who can pass up those cookies at check-in!
The bar and food in this hotel was very good. It was so good that it kept us at the bar during the entire 7th game of the Giants and Cardinals. Bartenders were very good and they kept the drinks flowing.
The rooms are always very nice at a Doubletree and this was no exception.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Managerdth, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our Hotel. We were glad to hear that you enjoyed the Hotel and our Bar. Our Bartenders will be excited to hear your comments concerning their service. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit.
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

It is a nice hotel, clean and good service. The food is very good and the service, especially from Jesus at the restaurant, incredibly good! Definitely a good place to stay near SFO Airport. No kids activities though, so don't think of it as a family hotel... The shuttle service is very useful as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Managerdth, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning your recent stay at our Hotel. We do appreciate the feedback. We will make sure that we pass your wonderful comment about service on to Jesus in the Restaurant. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit.
Saratoga Springs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I'm a Hilton Diamond member so always choose a Hilton property to stay at. I travel to the bay area frequently and usually stay at a hotel in Burlingame the night before my return flight home. This is the first time I picked the Doubletree. Usually I stay at either the Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn or Embassy Suites in the same vicinity. Upon check-in I was told that it's $20 to park my rental car over night. Crazy since the Embassy Suites right next door has free parking. Won't be going back to this hotel. Other than that, what you would expect for a Doubletree.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Managerdth, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
We appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel and see that parking cost was a concern. We work hard to personalize each guest's experience while we try to keep costs affordable. We will keep your feedback in mind as we work to make our services better. Thanks again for your review.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I travel via SFO several times a year, and have stayed at at least dozen SFO-area hotels. I love the convenience of Park-Sleep-Fly packages, and they're not that much more expensive than long-term parking at SFO. Although rates vary, I find that more than half of the time I end up picking this hotel for the package, and am happy when I can. When I stayed in July, I saw that the hotel had gone through a major renovation. Reviews prior to July are basically reviewing a different hotel. I feel that this hotel is seriously under-rated on tripadvisor, although Burlingame certainly has lots of good choices (I agree with putting the noisy Crowne Plaza on the bottom, though).
I think that if you're looking for an upscale hotel for park-sleep-fly, this hotel usually comes out on top, especially since the renovation. This review is of my September stay. For this stay, I didn't get my upgraded room as a gold HHonors member, because I asked at the last second for 2 queens instead of a king, because a friend joined me at the last minute. So the hotel pictures are more representative of what the average customer would get.
Why do I like this hotel for park-sleep-fly? (1) Secured parking with a guard who roams the lot at night, (2) Quiet rooms devoid of both outside/airport and hallway noise, (3) Modern, comfortable furnishings, (4) Full restaurant and services, including free full breakfast for HHonors gold members (some Doubletrees now offer gold members only Continental breakfast due to a change in the HHonors program rules), (5) Fast, frequent, and adequately-sized buses to the airport--every 15 minutes now! (some hotels use vans, and some can get full, especially in lower quality hotels), (6) Potential for great bay views (especially if you have high status with HHonors, or if you're willing to pay extra, obviously).
The only thing I don't like about the hotel--and am very surprised this was overlooked during the hotel upgrade--is that the climate control system is highly outdated. It has the old system in which one only selects a degree of heat or coolness, rather than a wall-mounted temperature-controlled thermostat that most modern upscale hotels have these days. Hopefully that's next on the list of items for the hotel to upgrade.
While I don't pick this hotel 100% of the time (I wouldn't pay more for this than the Burlingame Hilton, for example), I've stayed here at least ten times, and always feel happy to stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Hotel position ok
Rooms were great
Staff were pleasant enough
Dinning room had just renovated
But then using the dinning room felt like eating in a big open warehouse,
Don’t order any meals go to the Elephant restaurant along the road from the Hilton the meals are a major let down in the Hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!