“Way over-priced” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Canada
“Way over-priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Despite being well decorated and visually appealing, this hotel is too expensive for what is offered.

The internet service is $13 per day for a "high speed" connection, yet the connection is intermittent and most of the time it is terribly slow. For instance, it takes an average of 5 minutes to load Google. I tried making a phone call with Skype, (forget about video! that won't work with the terrible speeds), and after about five minutes Skype disconnected with an error message saying that I had lost my internet connection.

I tried calling the technical support line twice regarding this issue, and at first I was told to use an Ethernet cable to connect to the internet. Sure, that would be a great idea, but the room did not have any Ethernet port. He then directed me to do things like reboot my computer or disable and re-enable my wifi card. The gentleman from technical support was very nice and courteous, but was unable to actually fix the problem.

The food was also terribly expensive. Room service carried a very hefty 20%+$2.50 service charge, in addition to the inflated menu prices.

The rooms are nice, but the balcony overlooking the atrium was not well-soundproofed.

Overall, despite being a nice property with good staff, I did not feel that it was worth the price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HyattSFAirport, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear John,
We know how important WiFi is, so we are reviewing connectivity throughout the hotel, and revamping with state-of-the-art equipment as well, so you can surf with speed!
Hope to see you back soon,
Kevin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We all know that airport hotels aren't the greatest, so with that in mind, this was very good. It is a very large property--like it took me almost 10 minutes to get from my room to the front entrance--but it is quiet and clean and up to Hyatt's standards. Some rooms face a massive interior atrium/courtyard area, while others have a lovely view of the bay. It is about a 10-minute drive to the airport, and there are regular shuttles. The same shuttle also takes you to the BART station near the international terminal. For being near an airport and being so large, the rooms are very quiet--which is rare for an airport hotel. All in all, I would choose this property again for an SFO layover.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Espoo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was a disappointment! The most essential thing for the business traveler did not work, namely there was WIFI everywhere but speeds were so slow it was almost unusable. I do not know how old the hotel is, but from the ghastly color schemed, and worn, faded experience I think it is something from the 1970s. The age shows.

The staff was friendly but disinterested.

I was unhappy to have a room on the atrium level which means constant noise.

Summary: Unusable WIFI, worn out hotel, bored staff

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the atrium level.
Dear SuTengKai,
Bad WiFi = Frustration. Sorry you experienced this.
We are reviewing connectivity throughout the hotel to ensure you can surf with ease and reliability. Come back and visit - I trust we'll win your faith back.
San Jose, Calif
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Took our daughter here to see boy band (IM5) & dance crew concert so we booked a room. Other reviews seemed not very good but we were very happy that we made our own decision. We booked our room through Hotwire and got LUCKY it was exactly what we wanted! We got the room 40%-50% cheaper than others we met. This hotel reminds me of an Embassy Suites with a large open atruim in the middle. Our room faced the atrium and we were very happy. We didn't want a bay view as it is not that great of a view anyhow. Our room had comfortable beds, a new flat screen TV, refrigerator and all the little ammenities. The hotel is clean and very nice looking. Our room was on the 2nd floor with a perfect view of the atrium. We were above the bar/restaurant called Knuckles and never heard any disturbances. We really enjoyed the hotel and will definately go back again! This place is great for travelers who are using SF airport or who want to rent out the atrium for a wedding or big party. Family and business friendly.

Room Tip: Don't waste $ on bay view room, atrium view is great. Ask for upgrade you might get lucky
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HyattSFAirport, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear drinkwiz,
Thanks for choosing us to host your family!
Aspen, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I called corporate headquarters to inquire about shipping packages to
the Hyatt Regency SFO hotel. They directed me to contact the hotel
directly, which I did. I was I instructed to make sure that my name was
on any packages. I did the same procedure at the Hyatt in Houston and
had no issues. At the Hyatt Regency SFO, they charged me an additional
$6 per package for "handling". This charge was levied without warning
and was simply a ransom for my packages. The Hyatt desk informed me that
this was a Hyatt policy. It is not. It is a local Hyatt charge. The $6 is not a big deal...but they did not inform me in advance and did not tell the truth about the provence of this charge. I can
not recommend this hotel. There are other choices in the area (and closer to the airport). Additionally, there were renovating the lobby (again no warning). I will
not be staying here again.

Dear Mark,
We sincerely apologize for not providing you all of the information regarding your packages - this was clearly an oversight on our part. We hope that the service and environment in the hotel will win your heart over, and you'll come back to visit in the future.
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Hey it's the Hyatt. This is a great hotel near the SFO. Good dining options within but not so much within walking distance. However, within few minutes with a car options are end less. Great service, nice big rooms.

• Stayed April 2013
Orange County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Even though the flight was delayed, being near SFO, and my North Cal office made this hotel and easy trip to find and stay. I was pleasantly greeted, and after settling into my room, ordered up Room Service for a late Dinner, the food was great, hot, and was delivered early. The room was modern and comfortable. I was facing inwards towards the atrium that even though we are besides one of the flight paths for SFO, I was extremely quiet and didn't even hear the planes flying by, so slept well. I have the breakfast inclusive on the club floor which was fully stocked, and not crowded either.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
A peaceful night combined with great food and service...we're as happy as you are!
Kevin

Been to Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame? Share your experiences!