“A Failing Restaurant” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
california
“A Failing Restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Gilliver's at one time was one of the places to go, I have not been since it began to fail. We went to dinner last night very excited, we were one of the first people into the dinning room when it opened at 5pm. My clam chowder soup came to the table cold, the main course was terrible, the meat was very overcooked. As we looked around there were cobwebs on the pictures beside our table, the fabric chairs were so worn that they were tattered and dirty. I left the meal extremely disappointed and will probably never return again.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Oxford, UK
“Business as usual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

I've been paying the occasional visit to Gulliver's for several years, but was a bit apprehensive this time because of the most recent (Dec 2011) review at time of writing. Fortunately, I needn't have worried. We received a good welcome, service was friendly, helpful, and reasonably prompt without being rushed.
My end cut prime rib and my wife's filet mignon were both very good, and arrived with creamed corn, spinach etc. Don't know if the previous reviewer caught them on a bad day, but there was no evidence of such problems today.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California, United States
“No longer a place to go”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

We arrived and were given our salad, water and bread with butter. We couldn't get our server to come back, finally got someone else to bring us more bread, butter and water. After waiting for an hour and 20 minutes we left and went elsewhere for dinner. There were four in our party, but three other tables with at least 4 people in their party also got up and left without having dinner. The prime rib looked raw, they were out of their signature creamed corn and creamed spinach. We found out that they were under new management from one of the workers. We used to go here for special times. The staff was fighting with each other and they didn't have enough people to serve the needs of their customers. Needless to say we won't be dining at Gulliver's ever again.

• Visited December 2011
Texas
“Good, reasonable food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Our food was good and had ample portions. They were short on waiters and that was a problem which we shared with the owner. Nice, soft piano player. Interior of restaurant was well done. We could not get a cab back to the airport hotel and the host took us in his car.
Good food, soft music and caring owners.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Connecticut
“Great prime rib, liked it enough to go back a second time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

My wife and I discovered Gulliver's when we had to make a u-turn shortly after we left the nearby Hampton Inn. It looked like our kind of place, and we resolved to try it that night when we returned to the hotel. We were not disappointed.

Don't be put off by first appearances... the building looks a little old and there were only a few cars in the parking lot when we arrived on a Wednesday night around 8. It's what's inside that counts.

We were graciously greeted and seated immediately. The olde English country inn theme is over the top here and the main dining room reminded me of a mini-version of the dining hall at Hogwarts -- dark oak furniture and massive chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. Except for the open kitchen area, every square inch of wall space is covered by items relating to 17th century English satirist Jonathan Swift. My seat faced a painting of Gulliver with the Lilliputians that I had seen on the cover of a copy of Gulliver's Travels I owned when I was a child.

Our waitress brought out a basket of tasty and crusty sourdough bread to get us started. We both ordered French onion soup as an appetizer and the medium sized prime rib for our entrees. The steaming soup was a hearty start to the meal. The prime rib was cooked perfectly to our tastes. There's nothing Lilliputian about the portions here, and the medium size rib is plenty for all but the most voraciously hungry. A baked potato, creamed corn, and Yorkshire Pudding (a popover) accompanied the dish -- all flavorful and perfectly cooked.

My only complaint was that the restaurant had run out of the apple cobbler with ice cream for dessert. We settled for creme brulee and cheesecake instead.

Gulliver's was such a great experience that we decided to repeat the experience on our last night in California. Same menu, except this time the apple cobbler was available. Order one, it's big enough for two.

If you are staying at the Burlingame Hampton Inn or Marriott, Gulliver's is within walking distance. If you like perfectly cooked and nicely seasoned beef, don't miss it. Cost for the two of us was about $85 including tip and no drinks.

• Visited July 2011