“Great Airport Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 12 hotels in Burlingame
Napa, California
“Great Airport Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

In some ways this is a typical near-airport hotel, but the details set it apart from its competitors. I came as a guest of the company I was visiting on business, so I wasn't paying for the room, but saw that the online rate was $99. Upon arrival I was pleased to find good coffee available in the spacious and inviting lobby, even at 9:30 pm. The tasteful lobby also included a number of seating/meeting areas and a computer with internet access. Free wired and wireless access was also available in rooms.
Front desk staff was friendly and helpful enough, but seemed to be mostly reciting a learned script, although they knew the answers to my questions about shuttle service.
The room was typical in size, furnished tastefully in cream and green, with a textured carpet that seemed to massage my feet in a good way. A two-poster bed was supplemented by a roomy desk, good but dated TV in an armoire, room safe, iron and board, mini refrigerator, and coffee maker. The heating/cooling unit had a remote control, and the windows were openable. Everything in the room and bathroom was very clean. The bath/shower had the curtain rod that curves out--I wish all hotels had that feature. Bath products were nice and citrusy. My view was of the street out front, but I imagine some of the rooms to have a great view of the bay and planes landing at the airport.
That stunning view of the bay was available to everyone, however, from the fitness room—you just have to choose the right bike, treadmill, or weight machine. And if the weather is kind enough, you can enjoy the same view with your breakfast out on the patio. The free breakfast included waffles, pancakes, cold cereals, instant oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, muffins, croissants, bagels, toast, juices, boiled (cold) eggs, coffee and tea. I was pleased to see one of the breakfast workers not just covering a sneeze, but actually leaving the room to sneeze; I have never seen such concern for health by a hotel staffer. That alone bumped my rating up a notch.
If you are coming and going by BART, as I did, you will need to know some details. The Millbrae station is about 1 mile from the hotel, which is walkable for me. It’s a little tricky dodging traffic on the overpass, but the stretch along Bayshore Drive is quite pleasant—there’s a walking path right along the bay. You can also take the shuttle to the airport and catch BART there, but it will cost you about $4 more for the BART ticket (one of those mysterious airport robbery fees). The other option would be a taxi to the Millbrae station, but I didn’t price out that option. There is a CalTrain station close by also, but I'm not sure how to get to it (it's on the other side of the freeway).
Parking at the hotel was free, for one vehicle per room. (Some of the other hotels nearby charge for parking.)
If I need a hotel near the airport in the future, Bay Landing will be the first that I will consider.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
BLHgm, General Manager at Bay Landing Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2010
Wow! What a great review! Thank you for all the comments. I'll be sure to share them with the staff.
Tthe staff loves to hear them.
We think we have a special property, and are always looking for ways to improve.
I think you've covered all the bases, but feel free to contact me if you think of anything else.
Tom Moss

608 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
phar east
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

Good place to stay on the peninsula. Good staff, nice room, with a continental breakfast. Would definitely stay again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights and was really pleased I booked this hotel.I was happy to be offered a bayview king room on arrival with a great view.The hotel is really clean and bright and the continental breakfast rivals any that I have experienced in the past.My room was right next to the elevators and I heard no noise from them or anything else.The shuttle drivers were nice and they dropped me at Millbrae Bart/Caltrain Station twice to take the CalTrain to San Jose to see a Sharks game and also one day to see San Mateo.One day I walked the Bayview trail all the way south to Bridgepointe Towncentre (about 2 hours each way) and it is a great walk thru parks and open space.(Google the area and print the maps it has the trails on them) I also used the same trails to jog in the evening.I hope to return here one day hopefully sooner than later.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

I had to spend one night near SFO since the next morning I was flying early. I needed a place near the airport. Needed a place that 1) is quiet, 2) allows me to print my check in ticket 3) has internet and ideally 4) has a gym.

Very impressed with all the above. Very quiet, can't hear planes or traffic.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

I stayed here because my client is on a budget. I usually stay at more expensive hotels in the area. I was pleasantly surprised by Bay Landing. It is a clean, comfortable place to stay. Breakfast, internet and parking are all included in the price, whereas these are extra charges at nearby hotels. And it was surprisingly quiet. I was concerned about noise because my room was near the elevator, but the room was very quiet so noise was not a problem at all. The front desk staff were very friendly. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a good value in the area.

Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Torrance, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

For Valentines weekend we wanted to stay somewhere just outside of San Fran. , and we found a beautiful location in Burlingame called the Bay Landing. It's in a great location overlooking the San Francisco Bay with easy access and plenty of parking is available. The reception and entrance is really beautiful and inviting and we were greeted with a smiling face and great service. This place is EXTREMELY clean, rooms, lobby, everything. (One morning my wife peeked out the window and saw someone mopping down the tile OUTside by the entrance.) The breakfast that was available was good with fruits, yogurts cereals, bagels, danishes, and fresh waffles, we ate on our way out of town on Monday, and it was pretty good, not blow you away good, but enough was there to get you going. The hotel itself was very quiet at night, and we didn't hear any neighbors through the walls at all. You do hear air traffic a little bit, but it wasn't anything that kept us up at night at all. Overall a very good experience, we had a great time!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
clovis,ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

We stayed here 02/07/10 and only stayed one night but the rooms were great,very spacious and clean. We had a corner room with a bay view and watching the planes landing at night was very cool. The staff was very nice and friendly and the whole hotel was very nice. We had the breakfast the next morning and it was very good, better than most hotel breakfasts. My husband, myself and our 10 year old daughter all really liked the hotel and the location is great! We went to the SF zoo from the hotel and the drive was easy and convient. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Been to Bay Landing Hotel? Share your experiences!