“A Modern Airport Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 12 hotels in Burlingame
Chicago, Illinois
“A Modern Airport Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

The Crowne Plaza Burlingame is a modernized Scandinavia design flare hotel. The staff is very friendly and the restaurant West Bay Cafe along with room service is pretty tasty. With that said despite the fact they have modernized this property (I am guessing it is an old Holiday Inn), there are drawbacks. The windows are terrible and offer almost no sound resistance from aircraft arriving & departing. My particular room was extremely small (fine for me), for some people that might be a deal breaker. Last but not least for my tastes (once again it might be fine for someone else) the bed was extremely firm and because of it I had a very hard time sleeping at this hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Paul C,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Korean first
Spartanburg, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I spent one night here prior to flying out of SFO to return home from a business trip. Overall, it was a very good stay. The property is well decorated, with a modern look that I found attractive. The public spaces vary from small, intimate nooks to larger open areas with plenty of seating and tables for congregation.

The business center is as expected, with two computers. I had no trouble getting access when I needed it. The hotel seems to have quite a few amenities. My status didn't rate access, but I overheard there is a business lounge in the upper floors. I noticed there is an on-site barber, among other things.

We ate supper at the hotel restaurant, and found the food to be top notch. One caution I would add is that the menu doesn't specify the side items for the entrées. So be sure to ask. Had I known my entrée would arrive with mashed potatoes slathered in green wasabi, I might have asked for something else.

My room was well decorated, and overall, in good shape. All the expected amenities were there, and functional. I found the bathroom to be a bit cramped, though it was well lit, and nicely decorated. My only complaint here was that the drain in my sink was broken, and wouldn't allow the plunger to open. So, my sink was very slow to drain. Interestingly, my colleague, in another room, had the exact same problem.

Some may not care about this, but I was quite impressed by the elevators in this hotel. They were among the fastest and smoothest I've experienced in a while. And unlike many these days, had doors that opened and closed swiftly. Standing in an elevator with the door open for 10 seconds, after having pressed the "close the door" button, annoys me to no end. No worries here.

My only real complaint is that parking was very expensive, given the hotel has its own parking lot on the property. I've stayed at several other area hotels, and none of them charged for parking. I've run into this in Europe quite a bit, but didn't expect it in a US hotel. Had the hotel been required to use a public garage, that would be more understandable. But I was disappointed to see this here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Norval N, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderful review of your stay. I am so glad to hear that we were able to provide you with a comfortable, friendly stay and that you left here happy.

I can definitely understand that the cost of parking can make for a less than perfect stay, however, we do ensure that the cost of parking is competitive with the surrounding area hotels so that way our guests get the best prices.

I am also sorry to hear about the draining issue in your room. I have forwarded your comments to our maintenance team so they can ensure this is fixed for any future guests.

We will be starting our renovations for the hotel soon. I hope we can invite you back once we are done so we can show you our improvements.

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We stayed at Crowne Plaza during my father's 80th birthday. The staff are very helpful especially Dina Pena and Leila are delightful and extremely polite. they are the greatest front desk people any hotel can have. Thank you for the pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Higher floors 8th and above have access to executive lounge where there is microwave, free coffee an...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your great review, Maria.

It is through our guests that we are able to know when we do something right and when we need to improve. I am so glad that Dina and Leila were able to provide you with superb service during your stay. We have mentioned your comments to them and have also rewarded them for their hard work.

I hope we can invite you back in the future, especially once we have finished our hotel renovations.

nyc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We were put up at this hotel by the airline. They are conveniently located near San Francisco airport with a shuttle every half hour. The staff was excellent. The bathrooms were dirty. They had hair in the bathroom. The room was nice. An average airport hotel

Stayed January 2014
Norval N, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza. I am glad to see that the convenience, staff, and room amenities made for a good stay. I am very sorry that you were checked into a room with that had a bathroom with hair in it. That is not acceptable and does not meet our standards. I was hoping you could let us know what room you were in so we can speak with the housekeeper involved to provide better training so this does not occur in the future.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Normally when I think of staying at hotels by the airport, I think of loud airplane engine noises and the rattling of the entire hotel. This was not the case however at the Crowne Plaza. Not only was I able to check in much earlier than anticipated, I found my very comfortable room quiet and free from rattling. The hotel staff was very accommodating and I highly recommend this hotel to everyone. Thank You for such a wonderful stay.

Hollister, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Had a group rate for a conference, close to the airport and easy to find. It is clean and the bed was comfortable, but the air conditioner/heater was noisy.
The parking is $18 a night, but they seem to have a park and fly rate of $7.50 for people who want to stay and leave a car for their return. The hotel staff seemed friendly and efficient. I didn't care for the plug in the bathtub. The bathtub has a grab bar. I liked the amenities (sewing kit, lotions etc.). The parking area in front of the hotel check in area was crowded and confusing (bus or shuttle, a taxi and several cars) so I asked the attendant to let me park in the hotel parking area while I check in.
My husband said the egg dishes (eggs Benedict, eggs and sausages) were fine, but my waffle was cool and tough; his pancakes were rubbery and heavy. The coffee and decaf were ok but not great. I didn't use the pool. This hotel seems to cater to business travelers, tour groups etc (some had breakfast vouchers).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time out to let us know about your recent stay.

I am glad to see that we were able to meet some of your expectations. I am also very sorry for the negative experiences you had with some of the food in the restaurant as well as the confusing parking situation.

We are currently working with our parking company to have parking assistants out front to help direct the traffic. I will also make sure to forward your comments to our restaurant management so they can focus on the quality of our food we serve to our guests.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the future and provide you with an AMAZING stay.

Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

This is an old hotel and it shows worst in the bathroom and the windows. The bathroom works fine but feels very old. The windows are totally ineffective at keeping out the freeway noise and do nothing for the noise from the planes. The bed was comfortable, the hotel bar was busy with guests and very friendly staff. There was a small but decent fitness area and swimming pool.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review from your recent stay. I am very sorry that you had to experience a less than stellar stay with us during your trip. I can understand how the surrounding area noise would affect your stay and I hope that you will allow us to make it up to you.

We will be replacing all of our windows early this year, set to be completed by May/June of 2014. I hope we can invite you back to show you our improvements.

Front Office Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!