“Forgettably average” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
UK
“Forgettably average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights as part of a show my company was running there in April 2013. While there was nothing profoundly wrong with the place, there were plenty of areas where as a business hotel this just didn't really stack up to other brands. OK this is a more value for money hotel than some of the others, but this wasn't a fantastic experience and probably not what the Crowne Plaza people want their customers to experience.
- the check-in was underwhelming, the server juggling phone calls, handing out directions and just about able to check you in and thrust your key back at you with no directions or instructions or anything.
- the sign in reception proudly announcing that this hotel is not actually operated by Crowne Plaza, but by a 3rd party 'on behalf of' the brand. Really?
- the hotel layout means a series of long corridors and bleak decor making it feel less like a hotel and more like a government facility
- the rooms were somewhat basic, rather small, and dull to the point of depressing

On the plus side, many (though not all) of the staff worked tirelessly to help make things ok. Especially those supporting the conference facility, which was quite good overall, were excellent. In particular, AV expert Bruce was fantastic. Alas, individual acts of brilliance don't paper over the excessive cracks in the surface of this brand. Unless your budget is severely compromised or you simply need a bed for the night, you may want to look elsewhere. Frowne Plaza..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear desmeister,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. I appreciate the kind remarks for the staff, and I am happy that your conference was a success. On the other hand, please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered at check-in. In addition, I am sorry you do not like the hotel and room lay out to your liking. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Korean first
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Very fair price given proximity to SFO. Best for a single nights stay prior to depature from the airport. Right across the freeway from the quaint town center of Burlingame with plenty of small restaurants and shops, however, really need a car to get there. Hotel piarking is a hefty $18 per day. Not many options within walking distance, thought the hotel restaurant is more than adequate. Very nice walking/jogging trails nearby right along the ocean. Staff was friendly and attentive.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the south side are probably a little quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Norval N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear ttkgmi,

Thank you for your comments. We are happy to hear both our property and staff met your expectations. In regards to parking, our parking lot is managed by a third party and they try their very hardest to keep within the price range of of neighboring hotels. We look forward to havign you stay with us again in the future.

nnelson@sfocp.com
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

They worked extra hard to make sure that I was satisfied with everything. It was as if each person I ran across was uniquely concerned with making sure I was happy with the service and my stay. This extended from Cecilia at the front desk, the bellman, the supervisor of room service, and John the waiter. Great service and attention to details.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Brendan D, Assitant General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear AlexanderK998,

Thank you so much for your kind words! I will make sure your comments are shared with all of our staff and that they are recognized appropriately for all their hard work! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

With warmth and hospitality,

Fax: 650.342.1655
bdbeckett@sfocp.com
St. Louis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I reserved the AAA rate for an executive room...which was to include a complementary drink, breakfast and free wifi. When we checked in, the woman at the desk was all business, there was nothing friendly about her at all...unlike the woman next to her checking in another couple. I asked if we had an "executive room" and she said yes, but unlike the other woman at the desk, she never mentioned anything about breakfast or drink coupons. After we got to our room and settled in, we went up to the executive lounge hoping we could find more information there, which unfortunately we did not so we headed back to the front desk.

The same woman that checked us in told us that breakfast was not included in our room because we had the AAA rate. After several exchanges, I asked her what my benefit was in paying extra for an "executive" room versus a regular room...she stated the "higher" floor. Completely frustrated, we headed back up to our room. About 10 minutes later, she called from the front desk and said her manager gave her permission to send us some breakfast coupons. I didn't bother to ask about the drink coupons since at this point it was already close to 11pm. We never did benefit from the WiFi either, as we were never able to get connected.

Besides the horrible customer service we received, the highway noise at this hotel was equally terrible. I'm sure there are probably quieter rooms...but the highway was literally right outside our window.

Could probably get past the highway noise, but the poor customer service will prevent me from staying at this hotel or recommending it to anyone else.

Room Tip: As far away from the highway as possible...!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brendan D, Assistant General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear TripRNstl,

I would like to apologize on behalf of our entire hotel for the misinformation and lack of service you received at our hotel. I assure you this is not the norm and this will be rectified immediately. I truly appreciate your quick response to my private message and thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Your information proves invaluable as we continue to improve. I sincerely hope you will accept my offer to return to our hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

With warmth and hospitality,

Fax: 650.342.1655
bdbeckett@sfocp.com
Paducah, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We booked on Priceline and had a very early flight the next morning. I was excited to see we were staying at a Crowne Plaza, but when we arrived this was your average ordinary hotel and not what I was expecting from the Crowne Plaza brand.

The rooms were clean, nice and comfortable. However, they are right on the interstate so I dont think its possible based on how the hotel is situated to not have a room overlooking the interstate - which is VERY loud. We can normally turn the air/fan on and sleep, but the interstate was the least of my noise trouble. There was a TON of noise from the hallway and the nearby rooms. I dont have any idea what was going on but between doors slamming and furniture hitting walls, I was very frustrated with my lack of sleep around 1-3 am.

The pool was good and the kids enjoyed swimming.

You will pay for parking - $18 flat or $1 per hour. I had to request to pay hourly because it was a better deal for us, otherwise they would have just charged us the $18.

The best thing I can say about this trip is the toiletries - they are amazing. The brand is TempleSpa and I have already placed my first order with this newfound brand!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear AshleyJ976,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am more than happy you found your room accommodation clean, nice and comfortable as well the pool good and the toiletries amazing. Please accept my deepest apologies for the inconvenience you had with our location and the noise. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Lyndhurst
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I checked in the night before our flight back home to Virginia. We were hoping that the close proximity to the airport would allow us to return our rental car that evening,and then simply take the shuttle back to the airport the next morning. When we checked in and explained that we wouldn't need to pay for parking once our car was returned, they explained that part of their service was rental car pick up from Hertz! All we had to do was turn over our rental copies to them,and they took over from there! We didn't have to make a trip to the airport,and could check in and enjoy dinner and relax instead! Because we are Priority Club Members, they gave us a coupon for $10.00 off dinner, and a coupon for a free drink at the bar plus free breakfast! They were super nice, friendly, and unbelievably helpful. We had a great room, great stay, great experience. This place rocks!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Norval N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear lisalove88,

We are pleased to hear that you had a nice experience with us during your stay. We have partnered with Hertz to make sure our guests are taken care of with all their car rental needs. Hertz has always offered the complimentary service of picking up a rental car. We are also very happy to hear that the front desk acknowledged you as a Priority Club member and that you were able to benefit by being a member, thank you for your loyalty to the brand. e look forward to having you stay with us many times in the future.

nnelson@rimhospitality.com
www.sfocp.com
Sonora, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The best part of this hotel is the location (very close to SFO) and the staff. Rooms were nice, clean but small. Staff was very helpful! You can walk across the freeway on a pedestrian bridge to eat & shop Main Street Burlingame.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from freeway!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Craig A,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy Downtown Burlingame during your stay with us as our hotel is within walking distance. We are even more happy to hear that you were satisfied with our staff and service. Our staff always strives to provide quality service to each and every single one of our guests. Please come visit us again in the near future.

nnelson@sfocp.com

Been to Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!