“Clean and Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 18 hotels in Burbank
ventura, ca
“Clean and Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

Spent one night at Portofino recently. The rooms are very clean, very up to date and good sized. Each room has a microwave and refrigerator. Counter tops are granite. Beds are very comfy with great linens. Flat screen television. Nice decorating job and eveything is pleasing to the eye.

The outside looks like a typical motel. The parking lot was being redone but we still had a place to park and noise was not an issue at anytime. We did have the AC on.

The lobby is very unexciting but clean. Upon checking in we were encouraged to have a glass of juice by a gentleman that I assumed was the owner. Very pleasant and he went out of his way to make sure we were satisfied with everything. I felt like he really cared.

Continental breakfast was basic but satisfying--cereals, toasts, bagels, muffins, juice and great coffee.

No pool. It was hot but we probably would not have had time to use it anyway.

The room was as nice as the last Marriott I stayed in--for half the price--but of course there was no fancy lobby or bar or pool to go to.

This was a great room for the price.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

After some research I found this hotel which had some nice reviews. The hotel looks too old but it proved the saying " old wine taste better". frontdesk was extremely friendly checkinn was quick, customer service was the best I have received in years. complimentary soft drink was nice in today's time when people are cutting corner to survive this place is offering value, I was excepting donuts and danish in breakfast but was very impressed to see a dozen items in breakfast. Rooms are very tastefully decorated the beds are great I slept like a baby. To my surprise the call were free within the USA. what a bargain. I would highly recommand this place to everyone I know.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

The room itself was VERY clean & I am all about clean. The whole place had been remodeled w/ new furniture, carpeting, and granite. The first impression was "oh my god! this looks like a motel" Do not be discouraged by the exterior b/c the interior is comfortable & clean. They offer parking and they offer video & audio surveillance 24 hrs/day.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

What a terrific stay!
After searching the web for hours for a hotel that could accommodate a family of five, we were able to book our stay at the Portofino Inn. A roll away bed was provided at no additional charge and all courtesies such as extra towels, wash cloths and soaps were cheerfully extended.
My wife and I along with our three children were very pleasantly surprised with the convenience and overall quality of the facility. Rooms are recently renovated with new granite counter tops, granite showers, large flatscreen tvs, beveled mirrors, new furniture and carpet. The refrigerator and microwave were new. The air conditioner cooled the room with ice-cold air during the hot August days and evenings. The shower had new fixtures with plenty of water pressure. The beds were very comfortable with new linens.
The manager and staff were very helpful in making reservations to local facilities and provided a wealth of information on how to get around. The manager was courteous in providing mapquest directions to our destinations.
While the hotel provides a really nice complimentary continental breakfast, the hotel also shares a parking lot with "Franks Diner" which has great old-fashioned home cooking at very reasonable prices (try the strawberry cheesecake that they make: delicious!). You get a secure feeling at the hotel because the parking lot is under video surveillance from several different angles and is monitored continuously.
The hotel is within minutes of our destination which was Universal Studios and vicinity. Within less than 100 yards are a Subway Sandwich Shop, a convenience store and also a well-stocked liquor store. Just up the road on Olive Street are a number of banks with secure ATMs.
This place is indeed a little jewel!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Northern CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times over the last few years. The quality of the rooms and service is excellent. The price is very reasonable for this area. All in all this hotel is very functional and pretty much a sure bet. The manager seems sincerely interested in continually providing excellent service and improving what they offer.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

I had to go to a wedding in the Los Angeles area and I was travelling on a pretty tight budget. I found reviews for the Portofino on TripAdvisor and decided to give it a try. When I called to make the reservation, I was immediately given a discount for the room because it was off season. We got a room with a king sized bed for $89 + taxes. No complaints from me there! I had to call a couple of times to change my dates but the desk staff was very accomodating and I had no trouble with the reservation - their policy is that you can cancel up to 72 hours before the reservation otherwise you pay for the room. When we drove up my boyfriend said, "you're kidding, a motel?" From the outside it really is a motel; its horshoe-shaped and has two floors. But from the inside the rooms make you forget what the outside looks like. The decor was pleasing - plenty of room, granite countertops and shower, flatscreen tv, plenty of towels, a floor length mirror, fridge, etc. The room looked just like the picture on their website. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets were soft. A friend of mine who works in Burbank told me that many of the old motels have been re-done because people live in them for a month or two during casting season. Luckily that didn't seem to be at the beginning of June! It was very quiet for a Friday and Saturday night. Weirdly on the Sunday that we checked out the motel looked like it was filling up. The location was excellent for Burbank, as well. Driving in Burbank is pretty easy once you get your bearings and the Portofino was easy to find and had plenty of parking. There are plenty of places to eat and its not far from a cute little shopping area just over the bridge. I'd recommend the Portofino as a treat to anyone who is travelling on a budget and used to places with just the necessities. It didn't have room service, a fitness center or a pool but we didn't need any of that for the 2 days we were there and we left very satisfied.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

I always check TripAdvisor for hotels to see what everyone else is saying. I looked at the photos, and expected a somewhat older looking building and the photos were pretty accurate.

I paid over $100 for a mid-week stay during May. I wanted to find something in Burbank because I would be driving for a number of hours and didn't want to get stuck in LA traffic.

Pros -
Plasma tv, really nice bed linens, fluffy pillows and comfortable bed, refrigerator, breakfast is included, conveniently located about 5 minutes from the mall (Macy's, Sears, Ikea).

Cons -
Loud refrigerator, older/not fluffy towels, carpet is a little dirty, doesn't get all the channels listed on the channel listing (missing about ten cable channels), maid service knocks on the door even before you have checked out. Wireless internet requires a wire.

The lobby staff is friendly during check in and check out (usually they are outside on the phone, but they will run in to assist you). It was a bit unfriendly that the workers will let the door close behind them when they see a guest coming through to the lobby rather than hold the door even though they're right in front of you. Also, when you enter the lobby for breakfast, they kind of ignore you rather than greet you. Waffles don't look that fresh, but toast, cereal, and oatmeal are okay. The whole thing where the maid service knocks on the door at 9am instead of seeing who has checked out is just disruptive and awkward. For the price, I expect fluffier towels and no unexpected disruptions. There is room for improvement.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Portofino Inn Burbank? Share your experiences!