“Best Beds in CA!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“Best Beds in CA!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

In October of 2006, I took my mom to Burbank to view a taping of the Jay Leno Show for her birthday. I chose this hotel due to it's close proximity to NBC Studios and the price. I was more than happy with the accomodations. We had some of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in! Not only was it hard to get up and leave it, but it was a wonderful luxury to come "home" to after standing in line outside most of the day and then sitting in a freezing studio. We had a coffee maker as well as a fridge and microwave, the room was very clean. I requested a room on the top floor away from the elevator, both requests happily honored. Witihin walking distance of a Subway, Starbucks and Big Boy burgers as well as a couple other ethnic places I didn't have time to try out. Underground parking was fine, I didn't find it to be that dark or scary, and it was free so I was happy with it. I will definitely stay in this hotel again when I return to Burbank!

• Liked — The beds!
  • Disliked — Nothing really.
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2008

We stayed here because it was close to NBC studios where the Ellen Degeneres Show is taping. I had tickets to the show and it was fairly well within walking distance but you should wear comfortable walking shoes. The best route we took was from the hotel on Riverside Dr to the corner which is Kenwood St and make a left and walk down to W Alameda Ave then make a right take this road all the way passing over Ventura Fwy,you will pass N Hollywood Way,Cordova , Avon,
Lima St, N Calif, & Olive St( this means you are close)You will pass in front of NBC studios but you have to continue on to Bob Hope Dr and turn right go to the gate that is on the right( there will be sign for the Ellen show for stand-by and guaranteed ticket holders). You can see studio 11 where the show tapes. You should be there at least an hour before check- in to get a good number.It took us 25- 30 mins but I made the mistake of wearing boots so we were a little slower.There is a public toilet across the street in the park another walk.
The other route we found was too long( taking Riverside dr all the way to Bob Hope Dr passed thru residential area)
There are no taxi's but the hotel can call you one but it is quiet near so I don't know if it would be worth it unless the weather is bad.
The hotel is clean, quite. It has underground garage parking. Several restaurants across the street and around it. There is one next door Solanos serves coffee & breakfast, sandwiches, small but clean.
The room we had had a king bed , sofa, microwave, ref, coffeemachine, Fairly decent size, bathroom was clean, simple and had a hair dryer.
Continental breakfast was good...cereals, bagels, muffins, danish, bread, banana,yogurt, orange and apple juice, coffee, tea, milk. a LCD TV, newspapers.
The front desk personnel weren't overly friendly but helpful.
Overall it was a good stay.

• Liked — price, location,
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2008

First, if you can find other hotels in the area I suggest you go there. Never, ever book your stay with this hotel. If you're saving a few bucks compared to another hotel don't even think about booking with this hotel. The poor customer service is NOT worth it. The manager, Mr. Patel, will not get back to you (you will have to call back to follow up). And when you call to follow up, Mr. Patel will not have the guts to answer your question(s) he will delegate to someone else to respond. It took almost three weeks for the hotel to respond to a simple question. However, when I complained to Best Western's corporate office Mr. Patel responded within one day to the corporate office's inquiry. BAD, BAD AND NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!

I'm willing to discuss in further details if anyone is interested. Email me at carloinbp@yahoo.com.

• Stayed December 2007
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

Definitely, the location, room size and amenities, and price were exactly what we expected. The area was safe, quiet, and there was plenty of free parking. The room was generally clean and in good repair. There were several good restaurants close by. For those reasons, we would probably stay here again.

The only serious problem we had was that the door would not latch/lock when we closed it. The manager told us it was due to the building settling, and that we needed to lift/jiggle the door in order to "coax" it to lock. He acted like we should have been able to figure that out. One day, we arrived back from sightseeing and found the door not locked -- apparently the housekeeping staff didn't know the "trick" to locking the door. When we complained, the manager did not even apologize, and did not seem to feel it should be a big deal. But, it did not happen again.

There were several "nuisances," though, and they mostly were due to poor customer service.

The front desk staff knowledge and courtesy are hit-or-miss. Some act like you are putting them out when you ask for directions, others go out of their way to get your questions answered or resolve problems. Several were not familiar with the area's restaurants, convenience stores, directions to common destinations.

Minor inconveniences: The shower head is very low (I am 5'9" and had to lean over to rinse my hair), the room smelled of past smoking (although it is a non-smoking hotel), the housekeeping staff did not clean/replenish the coffee area in the room, the A/C was a little tricky (either we were freezing or hot), there was not a lot of closet/dresser space.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Customer Service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
N Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2007

I stayed here early August 2007 with my daughter. This was on the way home from New Zealand to Ireland, as we wanted to be near Universal Studios. We were not driving - and this hotel is not at all convenient to public transport, and taxis will collect but getting back is not easy. The reception staff are a mixed bunch, from cheery and reasonably helpful, to downright taciturn, unfriendy and unhelpful. The rooms are Ok, but the hotel lacks the services" expected nowadays, which ease the burden of travelling - no bar, restuarant, free newspapers??? To add insult to injury, I had informed them that my daughter uses a wheelchair, but we were given a ground floor room, great, but the bath shower was inaccessible for her - when we asked the female receptionist for a plastic chair/stool, she said they had nothing. As for the free wireless internet, the same girl looked at me as if I had two heads when I told her it wasn t working- and practically threw an internet lead across the desk. Also when help was requested to book transfer back to airport - same receptionist said they could n t help, but gave me number to ring myself, when I explained this was an international call on my mobile - I don t think she understood. Perhaps basic customer care training would help????

If you want a clean bed for one night - stay here, if you want more don t touch with a barge pole, go to the hotels near City Walk

• Liked — Cleanil
  • Stayed August 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
manteca, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2007

MY husband, our 14 year old son and myself stayed here 4/27/07 thru 4/29/07. We were in LA for our sons birthday. We went to Universal Studios which is only about 3 miles away and to Hollywood which is propably only about 5 miles away. Check in was easy and the girl at the desk was so nice. The room was clean and new. The beds are so soft and the pillows as well. It had a fridge, microwave and coffee maker which was helpful. Saturday night after a day at Universal Studios we decided to go down to Hollywood Blvd. . The man at the front desk was so helpful, he printed out directions and told us some facts which we thought were helpful. If I come back to this area I would diffently stay at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2007

I stay at this hotel about once a month. It is close to a number of fabulous restaurants of every ethnic variety including Don Cuco's Mexican (across the street), Thai Ghindi (fabulous sushi) only a block away, and many other classic Hollywood favorites such as Mo's and Bob's Big Boy. You can walk to Starbuck's, Trader Joe's, Sebastien's, NBC Studios, Warner Brothers, etc....if you bring decent walking shoes.

If you bring a car, you've got a place to park underground for no charge. Parking otherwise can be a pain, so this is a great bonus.

The Sunday morning staff is extremely friendly...maybe management? Other staff encounters have been frustrating (language barrier) and somewhat unfriendly, but you only have to deal with that when checking in or calling direct for a reservation, if you choose to do so.

The continental breakfast is decent if you get there early enough...coffee, bagels, cold/hot cereal, toast, sweet rolls, juice, etc. They do a nice job, but the breakfast is tended by the same person that handles phones and check-in/out.

The elevators are exremely slow, so go for first floor rooms if you don't mind them.

The rooms are nice and extra-spacious if you go with a King. I love the fact that I've got a fridge and microwave for left-overs from all of the great dining in the area! The rooms are new and the towels are fluffy and thick.

I keep searching for better deals on hotels in Burbank, but I keep booking my room here.

• Liked — Clean, spacious room.
  • Disliked — Check-in Staff
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Media Center Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!