“Excellent service, but.....” 3 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Glendale, California
“Excellent service, but.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The atmosphere and service in this restaurant is fresh,clean,understanding, and professional. Our waiter Kurt gave us outstanding service; yet, the food lack somewhat in flavor.

My husband and I wanted to give this place a try for the first time. It was also the first time we ever tried California Pizza Kitchen. I ordered the so famous bbq chicken salad (half portion) and 1 cup sedona tortilla soup. My husband ordered a spicy chiplotle chicken pizza and 1 cup sedona tortilla soup. The soup was more like an orange color acidic puree; not a big deal, really. The bbq chicken salad was so big that I had to confirm with waiter if indeed was the half portion, it was. This salad contained slices of bbq chicken breast, chopped romaine lettuce, avocado,ranch dressing, chopped tomatoes, and lots, and lots tortilla chips strips. The avocado is optional and extra by the way. Maybe if this salad did not contained so many tortilla chip strips, it would be better. The flavors in this dish are not out of this world at all, chicken was dry and dressing; well just another ranch dressing. The avocado added a little flavor though.
Spicy chipotle chicken pizza was something new and had interesting flavors, it was not bad at all but it was not such a big deal either.
We decided to try the butter cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. They told us this was one of the best desserts, if not the best desserts in restaurant. Well, the cake was kind of dry and very, super, sweet. The vanilla ice cream gave it some moisture and since vanilla ice cream was not too sweet; it helped balance the sweetness in the cake.
This dessert was just okay but not what I expected when I ordered it and saw waiter's and manager's reactions. Very positive reactions!

We spent a total of $50.96, yes, it is expensive. Overall, I think many people brag very much about this place and it is overrated. Yes, we are thankful for the excellent service indeed but maybe next time we should try different dishes. I am willing to give it another try but I am not dying to trying it again. If that day comes good, if not, well; not a big deal at all.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

La Canada Flintridge, California
“Often crowded”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is one option for dinner in Burbank when attending a play at the Colony Theater. Our party of four often walks past here on our way to Chevy's (see my review) and it is always crowded with a waiting list. I guess the locals know a good thing, because when we ate here once, the food was very good. Standard Italian based menu with emphasis on pizza, but well prepared and tasty.

Visited October 2012
Lake Elsinore, California
“When in Burbank”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

I know it's a chain but convenient and I seem to stop almost every time when in Burbank
Today lunch was 2 small plates (should be better than 1 large, right?)
Crispy macs and cheese and spicy chicken tinga quesadilla
Yummy combo
I am now ready for afternoon at DGA!

Albuquerque
“Love the place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

CPK is one of my favorite restaurants. A bit noisy at times, but the service and food are always excellent! I have been going to the Burbank CPK for almost twenty years. Love it!

Visited June 2012
Orlando
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Nice food , good service as always , been there many times in past and this time was great just as always.

Visited November 2011