“Almost never open” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
So Cal
“Almost never open”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I tried to take my wife there because I remember it was a good place for a tasty chicken-fried steak. We were seated, and given a menu. The prices were very high, and chicken-fried steak was NOT on the menu. We were two of about 8 people in the place. We didn't like anything on the menu, so we got up and left. I won't try it again.

Visited June 2014

Pittsford, New York
“Old tyme restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Walk in and there's the brown vinyl seating from a bygone era. I loved the atmosphere! Lots of windows. The four of us in our party were seated quickly( it wasn't busy at this time of the day). The waitress was very nice/attentive. We ordered pancakes, eggs/toast/hash brown combo and an eggs w/corned beef hash,coffee and teas. Cost was about $50.00 for 4 of us. The food was hot and plentiful. Waitress explained that they would be closed part of December 2013 as the restaurant will be used in a movie that's being made.

Brief visit but would go back if in the area again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Vintage coffee shop although somewhat variable service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Another place I've been going to since childhood. This place has been around forever, but of course ownership has changed hands. It's the sort of place to get a typical coffee shop meal that is going to likely be a bit on the diner/greasy-spoon side, although there has been a real chef working there at times who kicks it up a bit.

Service can be weird; for example, being served utterly burnt toast that is clearly inedible, and when you send it back, the waitress says, "well, I had to try, didn't I?" Really? Why did you have to try to serve a customer garbage; is that in the waitress rule book somewhere? The occasional situation like that takes place, where they will scrape off burnt food and try to give you back the partial part that remained, etc. I think you just need to learn who to choose for your waitress and only eat in that section, and try to go when the good cooks are working.

Also be apprised that the types of meals served are often of the nature of what you remember your grandparents enjoying ages ago; things like a smallish piece of well-cooked meat or fish, served with a ball of bland mashed potatoes, gravy, overcooked green beans, and an equally unexciting house salad of iceberg lettuce and the usual occasional bits that appear in those. I would call this type of meal cafeteria food, since that is where I have usually seen it. But as I said, they do splash out here and there.

The only other thing I will say about this place that is negative is that it is usually ice cold in the restaurant. If I forgot to bring a pretty heavy jacket I would be really uncomfortable.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lansing
“good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

nice littler dinner next to the motel we stayed in. decent food quality, taste and price. The customer service was great.

Visited September 2012
Houston, Texas
“Looking for the Diner Experiance? This is the real deal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Meat and potatoes with down home service. If you are post-modern, this isn't for you. If you are pre-modern (like me) and think good movies ended when John Wayne retired, this is the place.

• Visited August 2012