“Great Italian Beef” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Takeout
Ashburn, Virginia
“Great Italian Beef”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We discovered Portillo's while in Chicago, and were happy to see one in CA. We eat lunch here at least once on our trips to SoCal. The restaurant has an extensive menu, but we love the Italian beef sandwiches so much we haven't tried anything else! This time we had an order of cheese fries with our sandwiches. They give you a cup of cheese to dip your fries in, or pour over them. I liked that we had that option and that our fries were a big gooey mess! They will gladly give you free refills on your drinks - Just go back to the counter. Prices are reasonable - Two Italian beef sandwiches, one order of cheese fries, and two soft drinks was about $17.

There's usually an order taker that writes your order on a bag before you get to the register - To help speed things up! The staff that calls out the order numbers usually make up rhymes to go with the order numbers.

Parking can be a bit of a challenge as the restaurant is located in the parking lot with a WalMart.

We'll be back!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

93% Recommend
Irvine, California
“reasonably priced and food is good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

i have eaten here a couple times. i had the burger and the sausage sandwich. the food was very good and the service has been top notch. the shakes are really good. i reccomend this place because it is a great value and the food is good. i save the five star rating for exceptional places. this is good but not stellar.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great place!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Whenever my sister and I visit California, we always stop at Buena Park to eat at Portillo's!! We love the atmosphere, you don't wait long for your food and the hot dogs are amazing!! Don't miss out on this restaurant!! :D

Visited July 2012
Mesa, Arizona
“I LOVEEEEEE this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stumbled on Portillo's a few years back and have made it a point to eat here every time I am in the area. They have amazing food, my favorite is the chili dog and fries. They have a pretty extensive menu with hamburgers, their famous beef hot dogs and salads. The service is great and also very fast! It's often packed but don't let that discourage you because they always move through it quickly. The price's are also reasonable not too pricey. You must try this place!!

Visited July 2012
Auburn, California
“Consistently Delicious Italian Beef Sandwiches & More”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Okay, I'm from Chicago ... and I know finding a good Italian beef sandwich anywhere else is nearly impossible. But thanks to Chicago-based Portillo's in Buena Park, CA, I don't have to buy a plane ticket if I am craving one. I order it dry, and ask for juice (prefer to add it myself); be sure to get the sweet peppers, too. They have a great variety at Portillo's, and their salads look amazing, but I have to have the Italian beef when I go. Ths trip was no different, and not a disappointmen. You can even take home some of the sliced beef, as Portillo's has pre-packaged some of it for take-out. But I like to eat in, looking at the fun and fascinating decor (this time I sat at a booth that had REAL mug shots of Chicago criminals from the 1920's). The hot dogs are also a favorite, and there's nothing like a Chicago dog, so one day I'll give those a try. Maybe tomorrow.

• Visited July 2012