“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Buena Park
Singapore
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2007

This hotel is indeed undergoing renovation but it did not cause much problem. The smell that mentioned by other travelers was not noticeable, at least not by me. Front desk was friendly and helpful. Near to Knott’s Berry Farm, Medieval Times and many more. 10 mins to Disney and Starbucks is just across the street. Most of all, it is conveniently located, near to 91. Shuttle service is also available to anywhere within a few miles, if you asked.

Breakfast has bacons, scrambled eggs, sausages, juice, rolls, bagels, toasts, cereals, coffee & tea. Better than most motel type breakfast. Just to note that the choices are the same everyday. No free evening cocktails with this new management.

The room was very good, with free WIFI broadband. Pretty good if you staying with family cause there is a separate living room which has a sofa bed. The room is clean and newly renovated there was not much to complain about unless you are very picky about everything.

The pool was cleaned every morning and the surrounding was nice. Of cause there will be noise if kids are using it, it is holiday for them after all.

Overall, my stay was better than I expected and would go back with my family for our vacation.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Coffee
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auburn, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2007

I stayed at this hotel when it was Embassy in 8/05 and returned because of my positive experience at that time. The hotel has since made some changes under new ownership in my opinion for the worse. I will not return under any circumstances. Sorry for the long review, but all is included.

They will tell you that the breakfast is still being provided but it is definitely not Embassy Suites standard. I found most everything inedible and very stale. There is no "Happy Hour" which Embassy used to provide, it has been discontinued (just to correct previous posts).

The Good:
We stayed in a "renovated" poolside room. They have been painted and carpeted, possibly have new beds, new linens are nice, and have new flatscreens. They still have the shuttle but they want you to know exactly when you are leaving and returning ahead of time which I did not find convenient. I used the laundry and it was fine (2 washers, 4 dryers). It is at the far corner 3rd floor of the hotel somewhat far away. The price was very reasonable - we paid 125/nt + tax.

The Bad:
The smell was unbearable. It was like a bad smell covered up with a paint smell. The flatscreen in the living room was missing a remote. They sent someone to our room (without a remote) to help us. That person asked us to use the bedroom remote (which we had already tried). The bedroom remote would not work and they were going to fix the problem the next day. No fix - oh well we can stand up to adjust the tv. The flatscreens were very nice - EXCEPT that when you are not watching HDTV, the picture is horrible.

The door did not easily engage into a locked status. I would shut the door firmly, then was able to push it back in most of the time. If you wanted the door locked, you needed to continue to shut and open until you were sure sure it was engaged. Not a surprise that is was left unlocked all day by housekeeping. Addressed this with front desk and they were quick to blame the door. Great - when I am robbed, I'll go talk to the door! This was our last day so we didn't have to worry about housekeeping the next day thank goodness.

The poolside room at first appeared to be perfect. We hopped right out to the pool, then hopped right back to our room. At 430-5AM, I might as well have had my door wide open for how noisy it was. No soundproofing at all. If you have to sleep on the pull out couch - we had our family of 6 - then you might want a more secluded room. The hotel guests were absolutely ROWDY in the morning. Chanting, yelling, stomping back and forth. I think it might have been a sports group?? This was not isolated - it happened each of the 4 days. No sleep after other guests are awake. The kids in the bedroom did sleep in ok - I don't think the noise travels back there so if you aren't using the pullout you would be ok.

The bathroom was interesting. The counters looked to be new, but the bathtub was old and definitely not renovated. I tried to plug the drain to give my small child a quick bath - it drained out slowly, but would not hold water. The shower head is great for a tall person, but doesn't work well for small kids. There was a bulge in the ceiling of the shower with fresh paint over it. I always wondered if it was going to cave in on me.

We ordered the pizza special, nachos, and drinks at Capistranos. The pizza had raw dough which I discovered after I had fed my poor starving kids. I immediately threw the rest out and fed them Easy Mac. The cheese on the nachos was barely melted and as good as they looked, they were not. The drinks were resort prices - this is not on-site Disneyland so what's the deal? The staff was so odd in the completely empty restaurant that I didn't even want to deal with complaining.

We stayed here so we could shuttle to Knotts. In hindsight I would have taken a taxi to Knotts and back and stayed where we were in Anaheim (Residence Inn - Great!)

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — The food and noise
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Madison, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2007

I just finished staying here for 3 nights on business travel. The front desk was more than helpful. The restaurant within the hotel, Capistrano's, is excellent. Breakfast is complimentary each morning and cooked to order hot. Very nice dinner as well. Location is great as it is very close to 91. Have a separate living room and bedroom, with 2 TVs, mini-fridge, microwave, etc. Very nice atmosphere as well within the hotel as the pool is the center of the hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Nice pool area and atmoshpere in the center of the Hotel
  • Disliked — Road noise is bad and free internet is terribly slow
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
saratoga,n.y.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2007

Came to this hotel for a business meeting. Upon check in was given a king room in the front of the hotel. The room smelled. When I opened the window, the traffic noise was going to be unbearable. Asked for another room and they said all the King beds were in front rooms, but if I wanted to go with a smaller bed, they could accomodate me. People were very nice. The next room smelled worse than the first. I couldn't do it - I am prone to migranes and have stayed in hotels that smell like this and it always triggers a bad headache. This hotel smells..it's that simple. The courtyard is beautiful, but the rooms are a bit tired. If your nose is stuffed and you don't care about smell, then it will be OK for you. PS - I checked out within 15 minutes of checking in and they wanted to charge me for a full night. I left for a medical reason and it took the manager to waive any charges. Good luck. Maybe your room won't be musty.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Smelly rooms
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2006

Okay, usually I am not a critical person and find that even when a hotel has some negative reviews, I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. But there were many things with this hotel that I did not read here- so sorry for the length. I want people to be able to make an informed decision.

Now - location is good, only about 10-15 minutes from Disneyland and right down the street from Knotts Berry Farm. There is free shuttle service, however you need to make reservations both ways, which was not good for playing it by ear, and it was not usually on time while I was there.

The hotel itself, the food was good, lobby and pool area were beautiful and the staff was very nice and helpful. My room was a VERY different story!!!
The smell in the room was very musty and no amount of airing out did any good. The air conditioner was in what is called neutral mode, meaning you could not put on the air or heat in your room. The shower was very nasty with some brown stains on the mat in the shower.

I would say that the price was reasonable considering, and I would consider staying there again after the renovations are done, but for now I would say that anyone going for an extended time, stay elsewhere. This is probably more suitable for a short stay if necessary. Under current circumstances, I would not return.

• Liked — Location, lobby
  • Disliked — my room
  • Tips/Secrets — See if there are any renovated rooms that you can request
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2006

We had a terrific stay. Beautiful hotel, the two pictures really do it justice. Large expansive lobby, dark wood doors with glass inlays, and an interesting fountain as you enter out to the pool area (the pool area is in the center, the rooms wrap around on four sides) and directly accross from the pool is the in house resturaunt, great selection of food and drinks, all staff both hotel and resturaunt were courteous, helpfull, and a pleasure to be around. We also looked briefely at the surrounding hotels, asked to see a room and the pool area, and none of them really compared, especially the tall, well kept palms. A+!

• Liked — Pool Area + Jacuzi Area. A+!
  • Disliked — Nothing was really dislikeable.
  • Tips/Secrets — As with all hotel towels, try and bring your own, it's always nice to have a big towel, and bring some sunscreen. You'll be enjoying the pool area more than you think.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sao Paulo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2006

I really loved the hotel!!
The service was great, the food was very good, the room was clean and very confortable.
I intend to go back there on my vacations.
I recommend!!!

• Liked — The bedroom with very confortable beds and a tv
  • Disliked — Can't say... just loved the place
  • Tips/Secrets — Nope
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Radisson Suites Hotel Buena Park? Share your experiences!