“Excellent Hotel For a Trip to Disneyland” 4 of 5 stars

Portola Inn and Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7921 Orangethorp Ave, Buena Park, CA 90621   |
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Buena Park
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
“Excellent Hotel For a Trip to Disneyland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This hotel is an excellent value, and even during peak travel season (we stayed here during the first week of August 2012), you will still get a reasonable deal on a room. The rooms are spacious and can accommodate a family of 4-5 very comfortably. Front desk staff were friendly and welcoming. After a grueling 10 hour drive from the Bay Area (4 hours of which was spent in traffic on I-5) I don't think I looked like a happy camper. You could tell that the front desk clerk really went out of her way to cheer me up and make me feel welcome. That's a testament to the great customer service here; the staff here truly go out of there way to make you feel comfortable.

The neighborhood is safe, and this hotel is conveniently located right off the freeway. It felt like we got to Disneyland in no time at all.

Overall, a great hotel. I will stay here again the next time I visit Mickey. :)

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
We are very happy to hear that you are a returning guest and that once again our immaculate rooms, room rate and service are what brought you back to Portola Inn and Suites. As you have told, we are conveniently located near Knott's Berry Farm (about a five minute drive), and less than fifteen minutes from Disneyland. As always, we try to make every single guest feel at home when they stay at our property, and we are glad to hear our team members shined for you on your stay. Once again, we thank you for your time and we hope to see you on your next trip to Disney.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Chino Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I was there on a family trip experiencing the area, going to Knotts Berry Farm and Disneyland and i wanted to find a hotel that was within my budget and had really nice rooms. this hotel definitely met my expectations for the most part. they were cleaner than i had expected and thanks to the front desk, i believe his name was Thomas, i was able to get all the nessicities i requested. and it was nice that he was able to bring them to my room without me having to go down myself. I would defnitely reccomend this hotel for their great service!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
It always brings us such joy to hear of the amazing experience one of our guest had while staying at Portola Inn and Suites. We are glad to read we exceeded your expectations and that the service that was provided to you and your family was exceptional. As you became aware, all of our rooms come with flat screen television, Wi-Fi, parking (free of charge), and we have an attentive front desk that can assist you any hour of the day. We hope to see you on your next family trip to the Orange County/Buena Park area.

Guest Relations Manager.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I read a lot of reviews of how the rooms smelled of smoke, which was false. Our room had no smoke odor at all! The staff was friendly. The rooms were updated which was nice. They werebetter than expected since it was such a good value to stay! The carpet could use a cleaning. It has obvious wear. And there is a vanity area by the restroom which is nice, but there's no light above it, so it was almost useless. Overall we would definately stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment out of your busy schedule to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at Portola Inn and Suites. We are glad to hear that our hotel exceeded your expectations. By comments such as this one, we know that our team members are doing an exceptional job with the maintenance of the property. As you were aware, all of our rooms have a microwave, fridge, coffee maker, Iron, Iron Board, hair dryer and flat screen television. We also provide free Wi-Fi, parking and continental breakfast. Thank you once again for your time.

San Luis Obispo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Four of us booked individual rooms here on a business trip. We all found the location to be very convenient for our purposes and easy to find. The rooms were clean, spacious, and remarkably full featured for the price. Also, they have a strong wifi connection. There was a little confusion at the front desk converting our reservation into four separate bills, but we will recommend this hotel to those doing business in the Fontana/Buena Park area with their own car. Also, we would make the recommendation to the hotel that they charge a little more and expand the continental breakfast offering a little.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We are glad to hear that your stay here at Portola Inn and Suites was one of comfort and relaxation. And we would also like to thank you for providing us with your review. It's always nice to hear great comments about our property. As you were able to see first-hand, we take great pride with the cleanliness of our rooms. All of our rooms have recently been renovated with flat screen televison, bedding, and HD channels. We hope you were able to enjoy our free amenities, such as parking, in-door Wi-fi, and continental breakfast.

Chandler, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I read several reviews on Portola Inn & Suites. Its a MOTEL simular to Motel 6/Super 8. . Run down!!!
I dont know what rooms the reviewers stayed in but our room was a dump. On the 2nd floor close to the front lobby. There was a huge hole in the wall from the doorknob. They placed a trash can infront of the whole to keep the door from hitting...instead of making the minor repair. The restroom was dingy, dirty & the shower head was broke. The carpets were so old, worn and gross. Im sure even if they cleaned them it wouldnt help. The air conditioning was on high but didnt ever seem to cool the room. We arrived late so the parking lot was full so we made our own parking space. The pool area was a joke... super tiny and no privacy. I would never stay at this MOTEL again. The only good thing was the big TV with and that it has a small fridge/micro.

Room Tip: Not worth the little money I spent. Comparable to Motel 6/Super 8.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Please accept our most sincerely apologies for the experience you encountered while at Portola Inn and Suites, and thank you for bringing this up to our attention. I will personally have a meeting with our team members and will request for them to be more attentive to such details that you have mentioned. We hope you will consider us on your next visit to the Buena Park area so that you may see that we have taken your advice to great consideration. Once more, please accept our apologies.

Kindly,
Eagle Mountain, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We got a good deal of $50 per night for a four night stay. We were very pleased with the room overall but I have to tell about the problem I faced when we checked in. I had purchased a room and Disneyland pass package when I reserved online. When we checked in, the desk clerk took forever to try and run by American Express card and had to call the manager to explain that he needed to enter my zip code for the transaction to process. He gave me a ticket to sign and I noticed it was for much less than the bill should have been, I asked and he said he had to run the Disneyland tickets separately. He fiddled around for another 10 minutes and then said that he could not get the transaction to process and that he would bring the tickets to the room when it went through. We went to our room and waited about 45 minutes. He did not bring the tickets. I checked my Amex online and could see a charge for the tickets. This charge appeared as if I had made the purchase online. I went to the front desk and he said that he had ordered the tickets and they should have shown up in his email to print. I asked him how he had process the transaction and he said as if I had made it. I was furious that he would do that as it is illegal and totally against appropriate business practices. Long story short, I could not get the tickets until the next day. The manager did get them and said that they were going to change their process for buying tickets. I told him that the Better Business Bureau should be notified as it looked like I had purchased the tickets and not the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for letting us know about the experience you encountered while staying at Portola Inn and Suites. Please accept our apologies as we have already taken the appropriate measure to make sure this does not happen again. We will also retrain our front desk team members so that the check-in process can be adequate and speedy. Once again, we apologized for the inconvenience caused to you while you stayed at our Buena Park property.

Roseville, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I booked a 2 night stay at this hotel for my brother and his family based on the reviews here. When he arrived after a long drive with his 2 small children and wife he was told his reservation had passed AND he'd been charged for one of the two night for a NO SHOW. Since I made the reservation, the front desk clerk called me and apologized for the 'misunderstanding' but that the policy was to charge for one night. He said there have been problems in the past when booking on the website (THEIR website, not a 3rd party) and that I should have called in the reservation instead.

To add salt to the injury, he also informed me that all they had available was a single room and only for one night. When I asked about a rollaway he said it was a $10 charge (after a lengthly conversation, he finally gave them the rollaway free of charge).

Luckily I still had the reservation pages in my browser history which show the correct dates even though when I submitted the reservation it changed the dates (i.e. the problem with their website). My credit card company is disputing the one night charge so stayed tuned to see if this hotel does the right thing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We apologize for the inconvenience brought to you during your stay at Portola Inn and Suites. Please be aware that our policy, which is sent to you along with the booking confirmation, states that a one-night charge will be applied to those guest who do not show up on their reservation date. That same policy states that after six o'clock the reservation may be subject to cancellation. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Portola Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!