“Great value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 19 hotels in Buena Park
Buena Park, California
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I can recommend this hotel to anyone who's looking to find a reasonable, clean and friendly place in Orange County / L.A. area. I stayed for 1 week and it was easy for me to like it:
Easily accessible by car: 5 and 91 fwys are closer than 1 mile
Located in the center of Orange County. 10min drive to Disneyland, 25min to Beach, Knotts Berry Farm and some other attractions right next door. Hollywood 30min, Downtown LA 25min.
Huge Parking Lot, always spaces available, even on the weekend (I stayed 1 week)
Rooms clean, light colors, fridge, free wireless internet, air condition. Spacious.
Basic TV stations (don't know if it was cable or sat). I think no HBO.
Clean bathroom
Pool and Spa
Very friendly staff
My summary is that this is a hidden jewel in the low price range in Southern California. I'll come back.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
We are elated to hear you enjoyed your week at our hotel and we are also very happy to read how beautifully you have broken down all the nearby attractions and freeways that are close to Portola Inn and Suites. We hope you were able to appreciate our free complimentary breakfast, and we are glad that our team members were able to assist you with your needs. We hope you can give us another visit next time you are in the Buena Park! And again, thank you for your wonderful review.

206 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Thousand Oaks, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

The hotel itself is not terrible. The rooms are not terrible.

What was really unacceptable was the smell in the rooms. Don't know if this was due to recent remodeling or cleaning, but it is truly overwhelming. I asked to try a couple of other rooms - same thing.

I've read "overpowering odor" reviews before at hotels that I've stayed at and wondered what these people were talking about. Trust me on this one. The smell is prevalent. Had it not been for this, I'd say that for $75, it's a 2 1/2 star room.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
It is unfortunate to hear you did not enjoyed your stay to its fullest during your recent visit to Portola Inn and Suites. Please be aware that we do take the appropriate measures to ensure our rooms are odor-free, and as clean as possible. I will talk to management to see if we can come up with a way to prevent a room from having an "overwhelming smell" to it. We greatly appreciate your feedback. It is with feedback such as yours that we are able to better improve our quality and standard. Thank you again for the review and we hope you can give us another opportunity at showing you the improvements we have made to our Buena Park property.

Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here for only one night. The room was clean, updated and safe. There was also free internet access. The room had a microwave, coffee pot and refrigerator. The room was spacious and bright. I would recommend this hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for the nice review you have on our Buena Park property. You have basically summed up all the amenities we offer with six sentences. We are glad to hear the rooms were to your liking. We hope you got the chance to enjoy our free complimentary continental breakfast and parking. And we hope you can book with us next time you are in the Buena Park area.

Palmdale, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We picked this hotel because it had the lowest prices and we were on a budget. We stayed two nights while we were visiting Disneyland. The staff was friendly and checking in and out went smoothly. The room we got (non-smoking) was clean, we got fresh towels each day and there was plenty of parking. The area is very quiet. The free breakfast is minimal.They have coffee, fruit,muffins, toast, and juice but there are plenty of restaurants nearby if you're really hungry. I didn't use the wi-fi ,but it is available if you want and there is cable (not many channels but we didn't watch much tv). Since we were only there to sleep, it was a good, economical choice for us. It was a little farther from Disneyland than I would have liked, but the drive was quick. If you're looking for a quiet place to sleep at good prices while visiting Disneyland, or Knott's Berry Farm (which is very close), then this is the place for you!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
We are glad to hear to enjoyed your stay at our Buena Park hotel. And it is also great to hear that all of our team members took care of your needs beginning with the check-in process and continuing with the supply of clean towels. We are happy to hear about the cleanliness of the rooms as we always try to keep our rooms as neat and clean as possible. Thank you for your review and we hope you can give our free Wi-Fi a chance next time you come to stay at Portola Inn and Suites.

kindly,
Oakland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

There is a lot of good things to say about this place, such as a good sized room and very clean, but it misses the mark on a number of things. I haven't used an internet connection this slow for almost 15 years or so. In addition to being slow, the connection would be lost every 10 minutes or so. If you spend a lot of time on the net, this is not the place for you. Although I liked my room otherwise, I will not be coming back.

The pool is small, and OK for kids but not for adults. One of the reasons I chose this place was because I wanted to swim in the evening, but that didn't work out. I guess the truth of the matter is if you want a decent sized pool, you have to pay more.

Forget the continental breakfast unless you like cheap muffins, coffee, apples or oranges. Not much variety and not even any real cream or milk for your coffee. Again, maybe this is getting what you pay for. I ended up going to Denny's half a block away.

I found the front desk staff to be friendly and helpful.

All in all, not a terrible experience, but I will keep looking.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
We are glad you liked the cleanliness of our rooms and how spacious they are. But at the same time, we apologize if you had trouble using our free Wi-Fi. Please be aware that we have a 24-hour front desk that can help with any issue that may arise during the course of the day or night. Also, thank you for all your feedback as it is going to be of great help in the continued improvements of our Buena Park property.

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

When we checked in the office girl was rude and the office smelled. We asked for a ground floor room we got the 3rd floor we asked for smoking we got non, none of our request were met and we booked a month and a half ahead of time. We asked for extra pillows and towels the rude girl at the front desk said she could only let us have two more of each (really, we are 4 women we use two towels each time we shower). Coffee in room was terrible, lobby juice was okay. The room was average, toilet paper was hard, would not recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
kabirbhagat, Guest Relations Manager at Portola Inn and Suites, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
It is unfortunate to hear your expectations were not met when you arrived to our hotel. At Portola Inn and Suites, we always try to take the appropriate measures to have the best costumer service. I will personally talk with all of our team members so that this does not happen to you or to any future guest. I will especially talk to them about following guest requests as best as possible. Thank you for the feedback you have given us. And we hope you can give us another chance at showing you all the improvements we have made to our hotel.

California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Well, we thought great place for the price! We were not going to be in the room much anyways.
We went to Pirates Dinner Adventure and Knott's the next day. Any other time we had was in the pool and hot tub.
Management was very helpful with all our needs.
The day of check out was the problem. A cleaning staff kept coming to our room and wanting to come in to clean while we were getting ready. Now check out is at 11am and our kids were in the pool at 9 am and she was trying to come in, not once but three times we had to say that we would check out at 11am and she could come then.
At 10:50am I checked out of our room. My husband was still loading the car and getting our bags out and the cleaning lady was already making the beds! The worst part, she didn't change the sheets! Now, it was hot at night so we threw back the comforter and sleeped ontop of the bed not in it, but still made it messy. She picked the comforter off the floor and proceeded to make the bed. We were standing in front of our friends room and we could not believe what we saw. Not even the pillow cases were changed. I will never stay here again. I guess you get what you pay for.
I know the manager will read this because she asked me to review her on this website. I hope she talks to her cleaning staff!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
It is unfortunate to hear you did not enjoyed your stay with us to its fullest. Please be aware that our maids are given a cleaning procedure that states they must always used new linens in every room they clean. Also, please take our most sincere apologizes for what you had to go through during check-out. This should not happen to any of our guests regarding if they are checking-out or not. I have already had a meeting with all the maids, and they are fully aware that they are not to knock on the guest who are checking-out until eleven in the morning. We hope you will give us another chance at staying with us so you can see all the improvements we have made to our hotel.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Portola Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!