“Not so bad” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Buena Park
Palm Springs, California
“Not so bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed at Knott's Hotel on October 12th. We got a Scary Farm package which was a pretty good price. We had stayed here a few times before and have a love-hate relationship with this place. It's wonderful one time and awful the next. We love the Halloween Haunt and after taking sometime off from this hotel we decided to give them another try. We were helped right away and we asked for a remodled room. The King Bed rooms were not done yet so we took a two Queen room. We went with another couple and they gave us joining rooms which was pretty cool. The remodled rooms are pretty clean and fresh. We did have a problem with one of the beds...it was broken already. They didn't spend much on beds, that's forsure. The water pressure was poor. And as many people had stated before, no ice! On ANY floor...yes we tried them all. Called front desk and they gave us a song and dance about how people fill up coolers and what not..but I have stayed at many hotels and never had ALL of the ice machines not make ice, so we went to the restaurant and they gave us some. About the bed, they offered us another room and said sorry. Other than that we had no other issues with the hotel. If going to the Haunt the hotel is the best place to stay as you don't have to worry about parking and just walk there and back. The package we got was the hotel stay with parking, 2 tickets to the haunt, shirts, dinner and breakfast. The food was pretty good this time around. The buffet dinner had fried chicken, pasta with different types of sauce, mashed potatoes, steak slices in a gravy, salads and apple pie also cookies ect. Breakfast was rather good. Eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, French toast. Cereals and muffins. The service was excellent in all aspects and we had a really good time. This is a 3 star hotel and after reading some of the reviews I think people forget that. It's NOT a Disney resort forsure...and you don't have to pay a Disney price either. You get what you pay for and it's not that bad of a place.

• Stayed October 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
hayleyann1986
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We visited as part of a multi-centre holiday and this was our first stop for 4 days. Upon arrival we were impressed with the view of Knotts theme park! Check in was easy and the room was large and clean. Pillows were terrible however, and woke up with a stiff neck everyday! Free wifi was included so this was a nice bonus. We were here mainly to explore so the room was not a big issue.

Knotts Berry Theme park was very good surprisingly! We needed a way to fill our afternoon after arriving at 3pm. We went straight into the park and managed to ride almost everything. Not 'kiddy' rides at all so be prepared!

However, the issue was the area! We are a couple ages 25/26 and the area was too quiet for us. We found it hard to eat at night due to places closing early (9pm) Even the hotel restaurants and everywhere else was dead by this time! We ate at Amber Waves for 2 nights due to no where else being open. Food was quite nice and good service. We visited Mrs Knotts chicken dinner restaurant which was well worth the wait and price! But were still in bed by 10pm!

Overall, no problems with the hotel but didn't use many of the amenities such as the pool etc so cannot comment. I definitely would never stay in Anaheim again due to the area being so quiet. Many members of trip advisor warned me but it was too late to cancel my booking unfortunately. Still, the whole point of this holiday was to see as much as we could and in 4 days we visited Knotts Berry Theme Park, Universal Studios, LA & Hollywood tour and Newport Beach so we loved it all. Just wish we had something to do at night!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

The term "Resort" has been very misused on this hotel. A others have mentioned, great place for a quick overnight stay prior to hitting Knott's but please don't spend any time there. I think we had the same room as another reviewer with the moldy/old shower, etc. Ideally, you show up at 10:00pm (although the lady at the counter is pretty grumpy then) and leave to go to McDonald's (Starbucks is next door) for breakfast at 5:00am. Then you'll have a good experience. Overnight parking is not included but was only $7 and its a short walk to the park. Fortunately, we got this on Hotwire for only $50. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Don't stay long.
Carlsbad, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Last Friday night I brought my 12 year old son to attend the Knott's Scary Farm Halloween event in the park. Since the park is open from 7 PM - 2 AM we decided to spend the night. I decided to stay at the "resort" because I thought it would be nicer than some of the surrounding hotels and for convenience. It was more expensive than surrounding hotels. Checking in the fire alarms went off because of the fake smoke machines from the bar. Getting off the elevator on the 6th floor where our room was located the hallway wreaked of marijuana. At 2:45 AM the people in the room next door came in and I could hear every word of their conversation through the closed adjoining doors, and at 3:30 AM when I decided to call security to get the people next door to be quiet the phone rang 300 times and no one EVER answered! I would not recommend the hotel.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Forgot all the "bad" reviews you have read on here about this hotel.My wife and I stayed here for 15 nights in Sept 2011 and had an amazing time.First let me say the renovated rooms are comfy with a nice new king sized bed and hd flat screen tv.Rooms were cleaned everyday, no problems.Nice big pool and spa, clean as well.No noise during our stay,quiet and peaceful.Snoopy can be found in the lobby several times a day for pictures as well as tucking kids in during the evening.The location of the hotel is in a great quiet place within walking distance to many GREAT restaurants (Tokyi Teriyaki, Portillo's, and Umami Mongolian Grill) as well as malls and Walmart.The food at Amber Waves was VERY good, considering it is in a Hotel.Try the pizza,burgers and fries they are good !Last but not least, is the AMAZING Customer Service.A special thanks to front desk staff Lisa,Jeanette and Monique who treated us like family our whole stay.Lisa never let us walk by without saying "hello".She even made my wife a beautiful bracelet for her birthday.We also had an amazing night at Knotts Scary Halloween...just a wonderful trip.Thank you again everyone at Knotts Berry farm for a worry free vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I have recently returned home from a 5 day vacation to the Knott’s Berry Farm Resort and wanted to give you some feedback on my experience.

I will never return to this Hotel and will advise any and all people I come in contact with to do the same. Let me explain the reason for my disdain with this facility.

Upon check in I was told that I had to pay to park at the hotel. I have never paid for parking at a hotel I pay to stay in. This is ludicrous. I can understand charging people to park there that are going to the park, but it is unacceptable to charge guests of the hotel to park there.

We also discovered that there was hair in the pillow cases, blankets, comforters, and towels. The bathroom was not cleaned during the entirety of our stay. We had to leave a note for housekeeping on how to clean the room properly. That list included requests to actually replace the towels and linens, something we did not feel had been done. We also requested that the glasses be replaced as well as the bags for the ice bucket. After the first day of “cleaning” we found the glasses were returned to the ice tray and the coasters returned to the top of the glasses. Rather than replace the glasses with clean ones, they simply put them back, with drinks still in them! They emptied the ice bucket and took the bag with them, without replacing it with a new one. I guess they didn’t think we would need any liquid refreshment the rest of our 5 DAY stay!

I wish it ended there but it didn’t. We specifically requested that housekeeping leave the AC on in our room as my wife is disabled and does not handle the heat and humidity well. Rather than honor our request, they turned off the AC and opened all the curtains to let the heat in.

We were told there was free wi-fi internet service. We found that the free service is only 300Kbps speed? That is not fast enough for wireless connection. Not surprisingly though, there was internet service available in the room through the tv. What a deal. Only 11.95 per day to access it. Seriously? Why advertise free wi-fi if you don’t truly offer wi-fi? Once again we were misled. We could have received the same treatment at any of the local motels on the same street!

On Thursday we decided to take advantage of the happy hour specials in the bar. While the drinks were good, the food was not. I ordered the rib tip basket and was disappointed to find that only included 3 rib tips. Three pieces of meat and a whole basket of fries? I was obviously still hungry so I ordered the boysenberry coffee cake on the recommendation of the bartender Eric. He was amazing, the only highlight of the entire trip! However, the coffee cake was raw in the middle. Fortunately, he knew good customer service and did not charge me for the dessert.

On Friday night, we were disturbed by very loud music coming from the floor above us. I called the front desk to see if they were aware of it and I was told that it was a reunion that had been booked from 7pm to Midnight. We were not told this would be occurring when we checked in on Wednesday. The explanation I was given was that this is normal for this hotel and that every weekend events were scheduled on the 9th floor. That’s fine but we were checked in to the 8th floor and were very disturbed by this interruption of our ability to relax. We were not a part of the reunion and should not have had to endure the noise. No one offered to move us or make any accommodation for the inconvenience, instead we were expected to just adjust as this was normal practice for Knott’s Resort.

On Saturday, I decided to order a pizza and have it delivered since I didn’t trust the restaurant. When my pizza arrived I was made to come to the lobby to retrieve it. WHY? No one wants to go get a delivery. That’s the whole point of having it delivered. When I got to the lobby, the delivery driver told me this is the ONLY hotel that will not let him deliver to the room. As I was signing for it, another pizza driver, from a rival company arrived and was told the same thing. When I asked the front desk why, I was told that’s just what we do. AGAIN with the just because answers! This is completely unacceptable. Is Knott’s so insecure in their ability to satisfy their customers with their own products that they have to inconvenience their guests for choosing to go with other food options?

On Sunday, we decided to go check out the arcade that is advertised on the tv in our room. Yet another disappointment. The room was filthy, the games are really old and the photo booth was more like a toll booth, it just kept taking money and giving nothing in return. I should not have been surprised. We had the same experience in the arcade at Knott’s Berry Farm in Fiesta Village with the Air Hockey games. Once again, it was a too bad so sad experience from those working as well.

As a former resident of southern California that spent 5 years convincing my wife that Knott’s Berry Farm is better than Disneyland, I feel like a fool. We spent a lot of money to travel to California and stay at this hotel with the expectation that it would be an incredible experience. As the only vacation of the year, I feel like my money would have been better spent at a local hotel where the breakfast and parking are INCLUDED and the staff is appreciative of the fact we chose to spend our vacation money with them, especially in this economy.

I am so disgusted with the entirety of the staff at the hotel with the exception of Eric the bartender. He was the only one in the building with any sense of what customer service looks like, much less at a resort! I will never stay there again! I find it alarming that they can get away with calling it a resort. Just because it is on Knott’s Berry Farm property and has a restaurant does not make it a resort. Thank you for doing your best to ruin our vacation with your blatant unwillingness to address our concerns during the stay. I won't be surprised if I get no response from the management now.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

My daughter and I just completed a stay at the Knott’s Berry Farm Hotel (Thursday night, Friday night, check-out Saturday) to go to the park during the day, but mainly to visit the Halloween Haunt. I have not been to Knott’s for 20 years, and neither of us had been to the Haunt. We took advantage of a package that offered the room, a “pre-haunt dinner” held at the hotel, admission to the haunt, 2 haunt t-shirts, parking, and a buffet breakfast the next morning. I actually bought 2 of the packages, since we stayed 2 nights. The price for the package was quite reasonable, but the spotty reviews I had read caused quite a bit of concern. After our visit I felt that I had to write a review as we experienced virtually zero of the problems reported by previous reviewers.

CHECK-IN
We arrived at about 9:45 A.M.; there were three attendants at the front desk and no line at that time. Raiza, the person who helped us at the front desk informed us, to our surprise that we could check-in and our room was ready. Check-in is not normally until 4 PM, so this was indeed a pleasant surprise. She printed our vouchers for dinner, breakfast, the Haunt tickets and also gave us certificates for the T-shirts which we picked up later at a shop near the entrance to the park. She did forget to give us our parking voucher, and one of the room keys did not initially work, but both of those problems were easily remedied (check ALL your room keys), and were not a big deal. The Multi-story lobby was pleasant, well-lit and decorated for Halloween. The staff was courteous and efficient. There were 3 elevators that were fast and clean. We passed a small gift shop and noticed a room decorated for the haunt dinner and a restaurant/bar.

THE ROOM
We had a 2 queen room on the eighth floor (Room 821). You must request a renovated room, or you may get one of the older rooms that seemed to generate many of the complaints. You may also want to request a room away from the elevator, kids coming back from a day at the park tend to bounce noisily off the elevator…I would rate the room as small/average. Our room had a nice view of “Ghostrider”, the park’s iconic wooden roller coaster and the water park. The room was approx. 17 X 20 and had the 2 beds, night table, dresser, work desk with lamp that included plugs for a laptop, etc., reading chair and lamp, a 42” LG flat screen, coffee maker, ice bucket. The bathroom is relatively small, but laid-out well, with a sink/vanity outside the toilet/bath area so that 2 people can be engaged in various bathroom related activities at the same time. A small hanging closet shares the vanity area. There was a suitcase stand, an ironing board and a safe in the closet. I requested a key to the safe at reception, and was given one. The safe will not fit a laptop (maybe an ipad, though) but is big enough for jewelry, cellphones, etc. The tub/shower combo had a shower curtain and the water pressure was good, no problem at all with hot-water, pressure, draining etc. The bathroom and vanity were very clean. All fixtures were new. The one small convenience missing from a room at this level/price-point, would be an in-room refrigerator. Be sure to bring your own bottled water, then put it on ice ($4/bottle otherwise). When you come back to the room you will have ice cold water waiting for you. It was hot at the park during the day, and my daughter and I greedily drained a bottle each upon return to the room. The maid service was perfect (actually, one small exception-there were quite a few hand-prints on the inside of the exterior window. The only thing that I noticed…) otherwise, daily the beds were made, surfaces wiped down, towels replaced as needed, etc. The carpet looked new, and I walked around in white socks and they stayed clean. Small bottles of shampoo and lotion and bar soap were provided. It was fine, the water was a tad on the hard side-but not horrible. The bedspreads were a bit busy, décor-wise, but clean and smelled fresh. The bed sheets were new and very clean. I expected bricks for pillows (I even brought my own), but was pleasantly surprised, they were just right for me. Look in the dresser drawer for 2 more! The bed was on the firm side, for my taste, but I slept fine. There are black-out curtains for late sleepers. There were 2 large well-executed pictures of roller-coasters above the bed. We never heard another guest from inside our room. Dead quiet. I can’t say what it is like during peak season, but I never heard a thing. I got some ice from the brand-new looking ice-machine. Quite a few complaints about that, so I ask one of the hotel people about that. He said that they had problems with people filling gigantic ice-chests, even though there are signs requesting that people not do that on the machines. If you go to “Amber Waves”, the hotel restaurant, they will give you ice for your cooler! Read the bloody signs cretins! Once you empty one of those machines out, it takes some time for it to catch back up. Some people just don’t care, I guess…”screw everyone else”. Whaddayagonnado? Not the hotel’s fault. The air conditioning was up to the task-I like it cold, and it never had a problem keeping up. The unit was no noisier than any unit of its type, the thing has its own compressor, after all, but those used to central air will notice the noise. I had no problem with it. The picture on the TV was very good. Pretty good selection of channels, ESPN heavy for sure, and included HBO. Be careful on the volume, though. I was flipping through the channels late at night, with my daughter asleep, and the National Geographic channel was about ten times louder than all the other channels. The volume is VERY slow to adjust. I had to peel myself off the ceiling. I don’t know why, but I actually picked up the “guest services” binder (who EVER does that?). It was actually really interesting (what a NERD I am), it had a history of Knott’s, some of the rides, etc. and was at least a little neat. In summary, the room was small, but perfectly adequate and dead clean. Maybe I am not nit-picky, but I was LOOKING for problems, given the spotty reviews, and didn’t find any. Staff was great; room was clean, slept just fine, what else is there?

THE “PRE-HAUNT” DINNER
This is a buffet dinner, held at the hotel restaurant (“Amber Waves”), which includes an early entry to the haunt (about 20 to 30 minutes early). The lighting is very low, and spooky music is playing. During our dinner, 6 or so ghouls were wandering around; sneaking up on diners, sitting and talking-it was great. We sat with “smiley” after he scared the crap out of my daughter (she loved it!) he sat and chatted and took pictures. All the spooks/ghouls were engaging and friendly and anxious to talk about the haunt and socialize. The dinner was buffet-style and included: Green salad, pasta salad, medium peel and eat shrimp, angel hair and corkscrew pasta with either white or red sauce, turkey slices, beef slices, mashed potatoes, white gravy, Knott’s fired chicken, apple pie, chocolate cake and cookies. I think that was all! I’m not all that picky, but everything was fresh and I went back for seconds. My daughter IS picky, and so did she. The early entry gives you just enough time to hit 3 or 4 mazes before the rest of the crowd. In my opinion, this was a great deal. I will write a review under “Knott’s” re: the haunt, but the pre-scare dinner was a fabulous way to put us in the mood for the night to come! We did this 2 nights in a row, the food was consistent both nights. Everyone was in a festive mood and chatting about the haunt etc., it was a memorable experience and one we plan to repeat annually.

THE REST
The buffet breakfast was at the other restaurant/bar (whose name escapes me, at the moment). Snoopy made an appearance, took pictures, etc., his “handler” was friendly and engaging. The breakfast was: scrambled eggs (a bit watery, but OK), French toast, hash browns, bacon, sausage patties, oatmeal, croissants, sweet rolls, cereal, mixed fruit. There may have been a couple of other things…The server brought coffee and OJ. The place was clean, the servers friendly. We were seated immediately. It was just fine to get the day started. I had read complaints of dirty tables, etc., we never saw that. There seemed to be plenty of staff taking care of used tables quickly. The trays with food were re-filled promptly when empty.

We did not try the pool, but we did look at it. There were several people in the Jacuzzi and the pool and there was a kid’s “splash zone”. There were chaise lounges, and tables. It looked clean. We passed by two regulation sized tennis courts that look to be in good shape. The T-shirts included in the package were a bit on the thin side, but have stuff on the front and the back and are pretty neat. A nice “value added” treat to the hotel’s “haunt” package, they also let you keep the specially decorated room card-keys (my daughter plans to scrap-book hers). The walk to the park is no more than 10 minutes, and after a late night of mazes and scares it was SOOOO welcome to just have a short walk “home”.

CONCLUSION
You can get a fancier, bigger room and take a shuttle or drive (and pay the egregious parking fee) to Knott’s, but the value and convenience they offer here is hard to resist. Be sure to check-out their package for the Haunt, (which, of course, is seasonal) that is what I reviewed. Obviously, the “non-Haunt” related room-stuff would apply year-round, just be sure to shop for a good rate! Overall, the staff was friendly and engaging, the room was comfortable and clean and it is a short walk to the park. We feel that we received very good value for our hard earned money. Again, we already plan on doing the EXACT same thing next year, that’s a pretty good indication of how we felt, overall, about our stay. I’ll write a separate review of the “Haunt” itself in a day or two. Total blast, but try to go on a week-day if you can. Cheers, BOO! And have fun.
One more note: this rating is meant to apply to other properties within the same category-afterall, it is not fair to compare apples to apples a tourist hotel with the Ritz Carlton.

Room Tip: You MUST request a renovated room