“Scary place-camp in car instead!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Days Inn Solvang / Buellton
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   114 E. Hwy 246, Buellton, CA 93427   |
Ranked #5 of 7 hotels in Buellton
Newport Beach, California
“Scary place-camp in car instead!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Okay, not their fault that most hotels were full including this one and they had to put us on the 2nd floor by the freeway. Very fun for my elderly mother to hike upstairs. First disgusting thing that we noticed was the foul odor when we opened the door. Old, moldy smell. Next, black mold on bath mat in tub. Loved the ripped sheets on beds with human hairs, scary stains and black dots (from what insect?), cigarette burns on blankets in a non-smoking room and hairy mass of something on one of the pillows. Wow, $140 a night. They have wireless internet but it didn't work in our room and the lady at desk told me to just walk around the room until I got a connection.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

432 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Yes, this is the hotel with a windmill where the film "Sideways" was filmed. We got a spacious room on the second floor overlooking the pool. The wifi was great (though we did have to ask them to reset the router once), the breakfast was good, and the bed was comfortable. They have laundry machines, a good pool, and an outgoing mail drop. The staff was less than stellar. Both the evening staff (man) and day staff (lady) seemed to be in a bad mood but at least helped when I asked. The adjacent bar does NOT serve wine (only beer and liquor) so don't get your hopes up.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I now remember why I said I would not stay at this Day's Inn after the last stay here. I know it's July on Highway 101 in California but $125 was way too much for this motel. No refrigerator, no microwave, limited amenities (had to ask for towels), lamps and clock didn't work, fuzzy TV reception, WIFI didn't work. We called the office at 8pm with no answer. I went to the office and it was closed up. Yucky cobwebs on the balconey so we couldn't sit there. On a positive note, the pool area was nice (the pool is unheated though). They had an okay breakfast with waffles and real orange juice. The lady at check in was pleasant. The man at checkout was surly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

This place is dirty disgusting and in need of desperate repair. This should not be AAA rated at all. We were so disappointed and actually ended up moving hotels. The bar on property was cleaner than the hotel. Green pool, gross hot tub and just gross.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

If you can find this hotel without passing the entrance (parallel to the freeway) you will be at first impressed by the Windmill shaped check-in area. Once you get past that, it's just okay. Our room was on the first floor. It had a sliding glass door to get out to the pool area. The screen door wouldn't shut all the way. The air-conditioner in our room wasn't working (there appeared to be a short in the connection). Luckily it was only about 70 degrees, so we didn't really need it except for the white noise that it supplies. We tried to switch rooms but they didn't have any more of our size on the 1st floor. I saw many a vacant rooms around us, so I think what they meant were rooms our size that were cleaned weren't available. The pool needed cleaned. My husband took out the skimmer and got as much leaves out as he could. It was too cold for me to swim but our children enjoyed it. We did order pizza from a place recommended by the front desk, and it was good. We also did laundry there, which was on the second floor and was limited to one machine each. In the morning we ate breakfast in the windmill. That was kind of cool. There was some slowness when it came to resupplying the breakfast items, but there was a decent enough variety. We probably wouldn't come back to this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Everything was bad. The pool was dirty. The room was dirty. The alarm clock didn't work nor the lamps.The A/C very noisy. When I tried to open sliding door to get fresh air it fell off. The man at the front desk was as friendly as a statue. He did help me when I misplaced my card-key. That was the only good thing that happen. Letty

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Miami Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Avoid this lodging at all costs. Beyond dive. I did not mind that the walls needed repair and paint, that the curtins were missing or ripped, that the screen was torn, that the shower facit was stripped, that the windows were filthy, that the breakfast was not edible- I minded the the pool was green and the jacuzzi black. I asked why is the pool green? Bad chemicals. Is it always like this? Just the last few weeks...

I also minded the foul, moldy smell of the room - I had to keep the window open to lower this fowl ordor.

Find another place to stay and don't let your kids in the pool.

Room Tip: Go to another place to stay.