We stayed here for one weekend night only, a stayover on the way up the coast. We wanted someplace close to Solvang because we had theatre tickets at the Solvang Festival Theatre that night. (I will try to review that separately, but suffice to say that it is a fun atmosphere, an outdoor amphitheater in the heart of Solvang.) Based on tripadvisor and other research, it seemed as if the Marriott would be one of the nicer properties in the area, and we were able to use Marriott Reward points for a free room.
We did not get off to a good start. When we walked into the lobby to check in, we saw that there was one check in clerk speaking with a man. No one else was waiting, so we just stood a few feet away and waited. Although the clerk saw us she did not acknowledge us and continued with an animated conversation with the man. After a few minutes, it became clear to me that the conversation was entirely personal in nature, not about hotel business. Since no one was offering to help us, I thought it necessary to clear my throat to make absolutely sure that the clerk understood that we were waiting to be helped. She continued to ignore us! I finally had to speak out, "Can we please check in?" At that point, the clerk finally motioned us to approach and checked us in. But she never apologized for her unacceptably rude behavior. This kind of poor customer service by the second person one meets at any establishment (the valet was friendly and helpful) really colors one's views about a hotel.
The room we received seemed standard. it was a decent size and looked clean. But the furnishings looked a bit tired. The photos on the Marriott website make the hotel look nearly resort-like but we did not find it so. The location is also drab. Buellton is just a stop along the highway closest to Solvang. Convenient enough (less than 10 minutes away from Solvang on a nice drive) but nothing to look at otherwise.
The pool area was more functional than resort-like, but it did have lots of chairs/lounges, umbrellas, etc. I don't think most folks would want to spend much time at the hotel and if one's destination is really Solvang, it is better to stay in that town. If one wants a jumping off point for wineries, again, my guess is that there are more attractive options for a similar price.
There was nothing offensive or bad about the hotel (other than the poor check in experience). It was just...meh. If you can get a very good price or you just need a place to sleep along the highway, then you could do a lot worse.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax and unwind at the Santa Ynez Valley Marriott in our newly renovated great room - featuring the only Starbucks in the valley! Stay connected while staying with us, with our complimentary wireless internet in all our guest rooms. Take advantage of our many packages, and great midweek specials! The Santa Ynez Valley is famous for over 80 vineyards and wineries, casino, cycling races, horseback riding, and the Danish Village of Solvang. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Marriott, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Santa Ynez Valley Marriott reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Santa Ynez Valley Marriott Hotel Buellton
- Marriott Santa Ynez Valley
- Marriott Hotel Buellton
- Marriott Buellton
- Buellton Marriott