“Great value for the buck” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night
Santa Clara, California
“Great value for the buck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

So, we didn't know what to expect coming into this place. There were tons of billboards on the road into town (101 south), so we decided to "try the experience." Two of us tried the split pea soup. While the soup was okay, it's really the "additions" that make the soup. I also had to add Tabasco for a little "kick," but then that didn't surprise anyone in our group.

So the portions are OUTRAGEOUSLY LARGE!!! No one in our group could finish their meal, and we had a sailor in our group. Everything was extremely well done and flavorful. My husband had the chicken pot pie. If you like butter, this is the dish for you! Every bit of this oozed butter. The Reuben had cornbeef that you could tell had definitely been brined for a long time.

As for the service, we got there at shift change, so the service was just adequate. We had a hard time getting our servers attention when we wanted the check.

After we ate, we spent quite a bit of time in the "gift store." This is a must see as there are several unusual items. I have to say, the food and the experience was memorable.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

North Carolina
“It's all about the experience!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was a first visit to Andersen's (yes, this is the correct spelling) pea soup restaurant in Buellton, CA for my husband and myself, taken there by my brother- and sister-in-law so we could "enjoy the experience"...and we did. None of us really like pea soup, and none of us ordered it, but (according to my b-i-l) the place doesn't seem to have changed too much over the years since my in-laws (who really liked the pea soup) took their son there. (I'm not sure how my husband missed that experience back then.) We made the stop in Buellton on our way to San Simeon, and had recently watched the movie "Sideways". It was neat to see in person the places we saw in the movie, and we knew it was Andersen's in the movie although they never really say that. Our service was immediate, and our waitress was really nice and attentive. We all ordered different things, and they were all good but I wouldn't say they were exceptional. The restaurant has been open for 75 years or so, I believe, and food is on par with diner fare. It's an interesting place to see and is pretty large. Servings are also large and we had no room for dessert although it sounded really good. I'm sure we'll go again if we're ever in the area. After all, it's now a family tradition!

Pittenweem, United Kingdom
“excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

we loved Andersens, pea soup to die for, we are planning our next trip already, staff were very attentive despite it being a very quiet night.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“An Interesting Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

While on vacation in California. We were driving up to San Francisco and needed to find a place to eat. We stopped in this town located along the highway. We all smiled when we saw the sign :) Pea Soup Restaurant! We all agreed to go there for dinner. When we all walked in. There was this fair size souvenir shop filled with everything a tacky tourist needs and some interesting items. Then at the end of that store you have the restaurant. Of course being in a pea soup restaurant we all had to try the pea soup. I personally took it "all you can eat" and my parents took in in a bread bowl. This is a family restaurant that needs a face lift but their soup was good! I'm glad that we stopped there and have experienced it!

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fresno, California, USA
“Took 30 years to get back and I can wait another 30”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Not what I remembered as a kid 30 years ago, and yes I have sleep since then. Just did not have the same old feeling, food was ok, we got there 9pm and service was not to great, seemed like a dinner, get in get out. We were placed by the front door not a good location in a place that was half full.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere