“I go every time!” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night
Los Angeles, California
“I go every time!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Ok, so I'm biased. My husband stop here or at the one in Santa Nella every time we road trip that way.

The soup is delicious, but nothing special. It tastes good and is comfort foody for us. I love the atmosphere of old-timeyness.

This time one of my companions got a pork sandwich, which I was lucky enough to have a bite of. As someone who doesn't usually like pork, I was pleasantly surprised. It was absolutely delicious!

One really fun aspect of Pea Soup Anderson's is the tchochke area. While I didn't find anything screaming out to me to buy, I did--as always--stop and take a look around. Of course, being in a wine country, there is a wine (and honeymead!) tasting area.

It's not the greatest, but I always enjoy myself.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Baltimore, Maryland
“just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We read the reviews and it the ratings here were true. It was listed as 10 out of 19 of the best restaurants in the area and it was just average. The pea soup was not as good as mine. I like pea soup to be thick but their version was thin and smooth. They also did not serve the soup with croutons. We ordered a burger there too and the burger was ok. It was a decent size and they gave you lots of toppings on it. You also got fries with the meal. Just ok.. nothing special.. wouldnt stop here again.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Orange, California
“Not Like I Remember”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was looking forward to lunch here as we drove down the coast from up north. Sad to say, the restaurant is not like I remember.

The interior really needs a makeover. It is clean and the restroom is clean, but the decor seems so dated, and the souvenirs and knick-knacks displayed at the front of the restaurant are pretty tacky for the most part. I did find a couple of cute ornaments in the Christmas shop.

I ordered a bowl of split pea soup and half sandwich. The sandwich was good, but I couldn't finish the soup. I don't remember the soup being that salty before. I remember it as delicious, but then, maybe my taste buds have changed over the years!

All in all, I'd have to say that we probably won't return to this restaurant next time we're in town.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Jose, California
“Couldn't handle multiple large parties”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We were a family of seven with teens and eventually a party of eight with small children was seated next to us. The timing of our food service was terrible: person 1's food came out and we were told everyone else's food would be "right out" so we encouraged him to start eating. He finished before person 7's food even arrived, and her food was given to the table next to us. We asked to see the manager, and the manager came... to the table next to us.

The pea soup was fine. The rest of the food was average. My salad was billed as having "olives", plural; it had one, as a garnish. It made me miss the salads at Margie's Diner.

The place is small-child friendly as we saw the kids at the next table coloring with the restaurant crayons, but I wouldn't want to be trying to calm a hungry toddler while half of my table is eating and the rest of us are waiting and waiting and waiting for our food.

I don't think the staff has a bad attitude, but I also think that because they're a tourist destination there isn't much incentive for them to improve. Would I ever bring my family here again willingly? No. But with big families you sometimes have to do things you don't want to do, and if I had to come here again I'd split us into a three-top and a four-top. They just really mishandled us as a party of seven amongst other large parties.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oceano, California
“Decent food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We ate breakfast here after staying at the Inn next door. The breakfast is just ok, nothing super special. I have had the pea soup here before and enjoyed it. For a very good breakfast go across the street to the cafe.

Visited September 2012