“Clean, quiet, and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Walker River Lodge
100 Main St., Bridgeport, CA 93517   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bridgeport
Dallas, TX
“Clean, quiet, and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Walker River Lodge is on the right, just as you enter town. It is one-story, with outside walkway entrances to the rooms. The grounds are attractive, very clean and well-maintained. The pool looked very nice and was popular. My room was large, with all the extras, small frig, m/w, coffee maker, iron and board. The large flat screen TV worked well and had many channels. Internet was free and OK for emails. The bath was also very clean. It appears that there are also rooms with nice porches overlooking the small river in back of the hotel. I enjoyed my stay and had a quiet, comfortable night.

Room Tip: Check with the hotel about rooms with porches overlooking the river.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
Ashland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We had just driven over Tioga Pass which was open unseasonably on December 30th. It was getting dark and we saw the Walker River Lodge--the first motel in town coming from the south on Hwy 395. We decided to stay there because it looked more "mom and pop" than the other open motel in town. I hate the funk in unkept small motels so was preparing myself for the worst, but the rooms were spotless and had a charming western lodge motif. The continental breakfast was adequate. We had dinner at a local diner style bar/restaurant within walking distance from the motel the night before. We were charged $95 for the room which included tax. I had a great time watching Truffaut's classic movie "The 400 Blows" on the TV.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
S.E. Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

The team at the Walker River Lodge have worked to provide very nice accomodations. I was fortunate to find the Walker River Lodge had an available room at 10:30 at night.

I had toured Yosemite earlier in the day and was not sure where or when I would need to stop for the night. Coming across the Walker River Lodge was a very pleasant experience. The room was clean, modern and well equiped. The shower was fabulous. I wish I could have extended my stay there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Bragg, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We think $134.00 (plus tax) is too high for a standard, basic room..But heh, we were here to enjoy the area and we actually liked little Bridgeport..We walked all around the town at night, (beautiful sunset) and the next morning...Visiting with the locals was a bonus, especially the nice museum lady.
Back to the room....Our room had too many pieces of worn, outdated furniture. It made it quite cramped.....I have a feeling some rooms were nicer than others, check others out if you can...Ours had the largest, old, tube type TV I have ever seen! Breakfast was.....sad......Not good......Staying here really was OK, for 1 night, but we would check out the other places in town next time..

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

A friend a I decided to photograph fall color and Mono Lake in the eastern Sierras. He wanted a reasonably priced lodging; I wanted fairly nice accommodations. I looked through TripAdvisor and found the happy medium at the Walker River Lodge. I looked at Lee Vining, which is closer to Mono Lake for a sunrise shoot, but was not happy with any of the places there based on reviews. We each paid $ 107 incl tax for individual king beded rooms. This is definitely on the low end for good accomodations in the area.
This rate was from a reservation made on the hotel's own site and they note that the prices there are for internet reservations only, so make your reservation on their site.
The motel is a fairly standard sixties motel, which has updated tub/shower in the bathroom. I found the bed comfortable to sleep on and the standard toilet amenities are supplied, as well as wash cloths. The rooms are outfitted with microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker, so you can bring in food and drinks if that's your desire.
There is free wifi which is adequate for checking email at 300kbps, but don't expect to do any heavy usage such as uploading/downloading. It is certainly not fast enough to stream a movie.
The continental breakfast is typical for establishments in this price range. When we arrived there were fresh apples and bananas as well as orange juice and canned peaches in plastic wrap. The usual assortment of pastries and cereals made for a hearty breakfast for most people. Starting at eight am, it's a little late for early risers, but for them there are the room capabilities or the Hays Street Cafe across the street, which is open at six and would be the place to go if you want something more.
The people are friendly and our room was thoroughly cleaned when we arrived and refreshed on the second day.
Bridgeport has the closest accommodations to Bodie and this is certainly the place to stay if you wish to spend a full day there.
Bridgeport is a small town and WRL is walking distance from anything in town, Bridgeport Inn, Rhino's, etc.
All in all WRL was an excellent choice for our photo tour of the area.

Room Tip: I think that most rooms are non-smoking, but if this is important, make sure to add that comment on...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Erinn99, Owner at Walker River Lodge, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Just a small note on the wifi capabilities - that is all we have! All guests should remember that in small towns like Bridgeport and Lee Vining, that wifi is the only internet that is available. There is no DSL. So while traveling and trying to "get a way from it all" - you might not get cell phone reception and the fastest internet.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Stayed at this place for one night on my way to Mono lake en Yosemite. Paid 125 USD for one night at a basic room. The bed was not exactly horizontal aligned, so I felt like rolling out of my bed all night long. Unfortunately their water system makes a lot of noise. Someone else in the building (possibly the neighbors) decided at 6AM to take a shower. This woke me up. When showering myself I could barely hear myself.
Breakfast was also less than expected and I did not like much of what was served. Most of the sachets of honey they served where crystalized, some couldn't be used.
After checking out I came across Lee Vining. This seems to be a more touristic place and I regretted I did not drive 25 minutes longer to get to this place, as it had much more character than Bridgeport. More lodges, campings and better appealing restaurants. Although this has nothing to do with the quality of this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Sonora, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed at the lodge just one night last week, after making reservations over the phone, sight unseen. Our main concern was whether they would honor the government rate, since my husband had work in Bridgeport. They did, and we were pleasantly surprised to find the accomodations just immaculate. The pool was clean and refreshing, the hot tub great, and the staff was quite helpful in giving us directions to the Travertine Hot Springs nearby. Also they had an organized and yummy looking Continental breakfast, which we skipped and instead walked across the street to a nice cafe for a delicious breakfast. We'd definitely stay there again, even at the regular rate.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Walker River Lodge? Share your experiences!